Wiki Posts
Search

Has BA ever considered LCY-MUC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Has BA ever considered LCY-MUC?

Has BA considered (or operated) this route in the past? Anyone else (LH, WX)? I've always had an impression that this is a quite elite-heavy route and was wondering why this is not viable out of LCY if a number of other German cities are (FRA, DUS, HAM, TXL).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:41 am

My money would be on MUC being the next LCY route. It is a glaring gap, as is Rome (but that does have AZ on it so BACF may not want to go against competition).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I think there are a lot of routes that could be viable / profitable out of LCY but no small part of it is to do with lack of aircraft and crew (at the moment) and lack of landing slots / parking positions, i.e. capacity, at LCY
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
Originally Posted by mec72
Has BA considered (or operated) this route in the past? Anyone else (LH, WX)? I've always had an impression that this is a quite elite-heavy route and was wondering why this is not viable out of LCY if a number of other German cities are (FRA, DUS, HAM, TXL).
That would be quite a bit of use for me! Yes, I am being greedy!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:06 am

As Swiss no longer fly BSL - LCY, I'd quite like BA to take up this route.

I know that Skywork flies this route (Basel is a stop on the way from Bern!) but times and prices aren't good.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
It seems that LH used to fly LCY-MUC but discontinued this route in 2012.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
I would still prefer to see LCY - SNN - IAD/ other US destinations.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
I'd still prefer to see BA1 flying at mach 2. Neither is going to happen any time soon
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I think this route would make more sense for Lufthansa to operate than BA, given the potential for selling connections.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Southeastern Railway Gold :-)
Never understood why BA had so many southern Spain or Greek island routes from LCY instead of cities we do business with. Give us PRG and WAW please!!!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I agree, I'm still surprised how many business routes do not operate from LCY (or even from LGW)... MUC, OSL, ARN, etc.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dominiquelondon
Never understood why BA had so many southern Spain or Greek island routes from LCY instead of cities we do business with. Give us PRG and WAW please!!!
Agree, PRG and WAW would be nice - I remember flying Avro 100 when it operated LCY-WAW for a short while - timings were perfect for a leisure trip, didn't work great for business travellers though (one mid-day rotation)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by dominiquelondon

Originally Posted by megaloman
Agree, PRG and WAW would be nice - I remember flying Avro 100 when it operated LCY-WAW for a short while - timings were perfect for a leisure trip, didn't work great for business travellers though (one mid-day rotation)
I'd think this is part of the reason for the leisure destinations. There are only so many slots for morning/evening flights to business destinations, and both slots and aircraft have to be utilised for the rest of the day.

Perhaps also locations like PRG and WAW are good feeders to BA's long haul network, making LHR the choice, though that's pure speculation on my part.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
They would be better off connecting other alpha+ cities before an alpha- city like Washington

Of the alpha+ cities within reach, all are already served from LCY. If you could get some sort of longer haul aircraft to work from LCY, it would be better to serve Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, or Shanghai. HK, Singapore and Shanghai is where the London-connected money is.

Or Moscow, when the oil price ever recovers.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:10 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mec72
It seems that LH used to fly LCY-MUC but discontinued this route in 2012.
Correct... Route was then ceased. Only FRA was left. If LH couldn't make it, I am not sure BA can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.