ex-OSL, mental health, and change fees

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:34 pm
NNH
Original Poster

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Help please: ex-OSL, mental health, and change fees

This is not a question I ever expected to ask, and I'm not at my most cogent, so please forgive me if my description is less clear than it might be.

Firstly, I have an ex-OSL trip to visit friends and family in New Zealand, of which I've already flown the OSL-LHR leg, and I am due to fly LHR-AKL on Wednesday night. On the return trip, I am due to stop in Hong Kong for 5 days to work in my firm's local office.

Separately, I have been suffering panic attacks at work, and my doctor has today strongly advised me to stop work for 4 weeks (and has signed me off) while I wait for drugs to kick in.

Is there any likelihood of changing the HKG-LHR leg without paying a staggering change fee? If I'd have to be stuck on my own in HKG for a week, I'd rather just skip the whole holiday, as I'd rather not be on my own there.

I do have a duplicate note from my doctor, but I've no idea if BA are interested in such things and I'm not thinking incredibly clearly today.

Finally, in the spirit of the BA forum, I freely acknowledge that booking an ex-EUR trip may already be evidence of mental health issues...

ETA: I booked the original ticket through American Express

Last edited by NNH; Mar 21, 2016 at 1:41 pm Reason: Addition
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry to hear about this, it must be highly frustrating for you on a whole range of fronts.

If this affects your ability to fly then with medical reports you should be able to get BA to look at changing connections. You best talk to them frankly and openly as soon as you can.

I wonder, however, whether you may want to make a virtue of your stay in HKG. As a former resident I know that HKG has a lot of quiet places and undeveloped pieces of countryside, beachside, forests - something that would surprise many visitors. A number of islands have regular ferry services, are minutes from Central and yet could be on another planet. Maybe find a quiet hotel off the beaten path to recuperate and get your batteries back?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Have you contacted your travel insurers? If BA refuse to budge they should be your next port of call, although without a doctors not saying you are unfit to travel they might not help either.

I'm sorry to hear of your panic attacks. CWS makes a sensible suggestion (as usual) and you might wish to consider the trip to simply relax.

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Mar 21, 2016 at 3:23 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
No help from me, but a note to wish you well.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Sorry to hear of your troubles OP. Panic attacks can be a horrendous experience.

Do you have travel insurance?

Just to add to CWS points on Hong Kong. There are also excellent medical facilities there.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:37 pm
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Very little constructive to add; could you get your GP to do you a note saying you are unfit to travel? You might find he/she would do it with a request over the phone, leaving a note for you to pick up. Worth a try?

Follow your gut instinct about's what's best to do. There are times I've not been in great shape when I've been glad of the opportunity to get away, to warm the body, to feel I've escaped. There have been more times when all I've wanted to do is stay in my cave. I've learned that trusting my body's instincts about what's best is usually the smart thing to do.

BTW, I developed a mental health problem a few years ago, largely picked up in the line of duty. I've found - not through any deliberate decision or principle - I just refer to my health, not mental health, and many of my friends do the same when they ask how I'm doing. There are a few who'll ask exactly how f***ed my head is, which I genuinely appreciate - humour helps. I don't have any axe to grind, chip on my shoulder, any militancy about it - but whether it's above or below the neck, it's all just health. Good luck with yours. I hope it improves soon - it almost always will - and you'll be reflecting on this episode not too long from now in a place far away.

Last edited by 27R; Mar 21, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by NNH
This is not a question I ever expected to ask, and I'm not at my most cogent, so please forgive me if my description is less clear than it might be.

Firstly, I have an ex-OSL trip to visit friends and family in New Zealand, of which I've already flown the OSL-LHR leg, and I am due to fly LHR-AKL on Wednesday night. On the return trip, I am due to stop in Hong Kong for 5 days to work in my firm's local office.

Separately, I have been suffering panic attacks at work, and my doctor has today strongly advised me to stop work for 4 weeks (and has signed me off) while I wait for drugs to kick in.

Is there any likelihood of changing the HKG-LHR leg without paying a staggering change fee? If I'd have to be stuck on my own in HKG for a week, I'd rather just skip the whole holiday, as I'd rather not be on my own there.

I do have a duplicate note from my doctor, but I've no idea if BA are interested in such things and I'm not thinking incredibly clearly today.

Finally, in the spirit of the BA forum, I freely acknowledge that booking an ex-EUR trip may already be evidence of mental health issues...

ETA: I booked the original ticket through American Express
Couple of practical things to consider...
  1. You mention spending week at office on way back. Is it a trip paid for by work, and relying on any work related trip insurance they provide? It may get complicated if anything (leaving aside the condition you describe for a moment) happens, such as lost luggage or physical injury, if it is no longer a work trip.
  2. Hopefully the trip will improve your sense of wellbeing rather than harm it, but check what any insurance policy says about onward travel after medical support. You may get some protection based on the trip having already started (under some definitions), but equally forsake that help by leaving your country of residence.
  3. Since it is just the HKG-LHR leg that might be a problem can you book an alternate for that or get a redemption flight? I think dropping HKG-LHR-OSL would be a low risk tactic.
  4. Or nest a trip somewhere else from HKG, before returning there to carry on home.
  5. If change fees would be high, could someone from NZ join you for the days in HKG? Might be cheaper or a better use of the money.
Overall, hope you can make it work and have a good trip .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 21, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member
If your doctor is prepared to write a letter advising you shouldn't travel. Call the pre-travel team asap. They'll be able to help you out. The pre and mid- travel policy is really good. I hope you get everything sorted and feel better.

"All posts are my own and not on behalf of my employer"
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
a do not travel note I guess would put your whole trip at risk which I suspect is not the outcome you are looking for.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
If you travel but not work, don't you think this trip could be a good thing? Stack up on the Xanax and enjoy your time off in HKG and AKL!

Sorry to hear you have panic attacks, but I would suggest not to let them influence everyday life, outside of work. If you can find a way to make this trip work (in your favour), that would be a good victory.

Good luck! Hope it is a thing in the past soon!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:57 pm

Taking a step back from the broader advice, what is the actual change fee on this fare? It might not be too much - in the region of 200eur or so?

As this is a date change after the outbound, I suspect you wouldn't have to pay any fare difference aside from the change fee (as long as there's I class on the date you want).

Would need to check the detail in the rules of course.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Have you contacted your travel insurers? If BA refuse to budge they should be your next port of call, although without a doctors not saying you are unfit to travel they might not help either.

I'm sorry to hear of your panic attacks. CWS makes a sensible suggestion (as usual) and you might wish to consider the trip to simply relax.
Unfortunately, many travel insurance policies specifically exclude cover for mental health illness.

I have nothing more to offer save to wish the OP a very quick recovery, I know from experience within my family this type of illness is a very tough one.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would it make sense to spend more time in New Zealand and Australia? By rescheduling one flight, you could fly from there to HKG just in time to continue on home through HKG.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Just to add my best wishes to the OP.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If change fees would be high, could someone from NZ join you for the days in HKG? Might be cheaper or a better use of the money.

I was also going to suggest that, especially as the New Zealand portion of the trip might be very beneficial: friends and family might be just what you need.

All the best. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.