Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's thank you for medical help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
BA's thank you for medical help

Having provided medical assistance on a flight recently to a member of the cabin crew who had flown with back pain (having not sought medical help whilst she had easy access to it in the UK), I was kindly thanes with a bottle of F champers. Whilst this is much better than a cup of instant coffee from Easyjet (http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ea...th-coffee.html) but I don't drink so sadly it was soon stolen by my mates.

Interested to know if any other HC professionals out there have been rewarded with anything else? Has anyone seen them given anything else on their flights?

I obviously don't do it for the reward, but given the thousands of pounds it saves the airlines, and the insurance I have to pay to cover any good samaritan act, what are your thoughts on what is an appropriate way of thanking someone for putting their reputation and career on the line in often difficult circumstances with the limited AVMED kit carried onboard?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have a read of this very recent thread for a variety of views on the subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...emergency.html
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A good few years ago on a quantas flight Lhr to Bangkok there was a request for help, which woke me up. No one else responded, so I pressed my call bell. The upshot was about 5 minutes to diagnose the problem and about an hour and a half of faffing about for the pilot to get permission from the medical team on the ground, before I could treat him. So about two hours of missed sleep. After breakfast was served the pilot came back to thank me and asked me to choose anything I liked from the duty free brochure, with the exception of the expensive watches! (I got some B&O headphones, which I still use). As we left the aircraft, the senior cabin crew asked about our return flights, which I am sure they would have upgraded. Unfortunately as it was a last minute booking, we were on BA metal (not codeshare), they couldn't do it. Last time I have ever booked legs on different airlines ☹. Of course, it hasn't happened since.

Had a lovely thank you letter awaiting on our return, with a AUS$ 200 voucher in it (which we never used). Better than champagne or coffee....
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:02 pm

I got an extra Kir Royale for offering (but was not required due to a posse of eager medics in lower cabins)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
interesting, sadly I know some clinicians who would not help because of the risk of a clinical negligence claim (not being covered by the NHS trust for this, the claim is against you personally), can all end up in a lot of work. I agree with the sentiments in that linked post, I don't do it for the gifts, but a genuine way of saying thank you, irrespective of the cost or lack there of, is very much appreciated. When I worked for an insurance company I'd often organise flowers, chocolates or even kids toys if we'd made an error in addition to sorting it out- people appreciate these much more than a letter and a cheque.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Just as well you were not volunteering on EasyJet .... "The senior cabin-crew member said that he (Doctor) could have a free hot drink but must pay £1.20 for the KitKat"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6923541.html

Last edited by EmeraldLady; Mar 11, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmeraldLady
Just as well you were not volunteering on EasyJet .... "The senior cabin-crew member said that he (Doctor) could have a free hot drink but must pay £1.20 for the KitKat"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6923541.html
Yes I wonder if they would have given the free flight without the media input after.

Last edited by navylad; Mar 11, 2016 at 6:05 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Having provided medical assistance on a flight recently to a member of the cabin crew who had flown with back pain (having not sought medical help whilst she had easy access to it in the UK), I was kindly thanes with a bottle of F champers. Whilst this is much better than a cup of instant coffee from Easyjet (http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ea...th-coffee.html) but I don't drink so sadly it was soon stolen by my mates.

Interested to know if any other HC professionals out there have been rewarded with anything else? Has anyone seen them given anything else on their flights?

I obviously don't do it for the reward, but given the thousands of pounds it saves the airlines, and the insurance I have to pay to cover any good samaritan act, what are your thoughts on what is an appropriate way of thanking someone for putting their reputation and career on the line in often difficult circumstances with the limited AVMED kit carried onboard?
Just out of curiosity, what was the problem and how did you manage it? Feel free to be vague to preserve the confidentiality of the situation of course...

In any case, great gesture to help out and good on BA to thank you properly for your kind act! ^
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 11, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_Kenyon
Just out of curiosity, what was the problem and how did you manage it? Feel free to be vague to preserve the confidentiality of the situation of course...

In any case, great gesture to help out and good on BA to thank you properly for your kind act! ^
Sorry, as you say, I have to be vague with such matters; particularly given not only is this is a public forum, but also has a number of crew members on who may be aware of the incident sorry.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
interesting, sadly I know some clinicians who would not help because of the risk of a clinical negligence claim (not being covered by the NHS trust for this, the claim is against you personally), can all end up in a lot of work.
Fortunately most doctors will uphold the principles of the Hyppocratic Oath and want to help those in need in situations like this (or on the ground for instance if someone collapses in street) without expecting recompense. It was thoughtful that the crew gave you a bottle of champagne however ^
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
The QF Medical Director has released a couple of publicly available presentations made which includes information of medical emergencies, equipment and drugs carried on-board.....and a table that details the policy of rewarding in-flight medical volunteers. Contains some interesting info in general.

QF Med Dir: In-flight medical emergencies: epidemiology and management
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My MD wife helped twice, several years ago. Not on BA.
Both cases were not very serious and all she did was lose half an hour.
But she was not offered any gift in any form, except a glass of Champ (we were in J anyway, so that was not really a gift). The fun part was on a US airline. The purser wanted to make sure that the ill pax understood that the airline was not "providing" the Doctor.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
The QF Medical Director has released a couple of publicly available presentations made which includes information of medical emergencies, equipment and drugs carried on-board.....and a table that details the policy of rewarding in-flight medical volunteers. Contains some interesting info in general.

QF Med Dir: In-flight medical emergencies: epidemiology and management
Where is the table detailing the reward of medical volunteers? I couldn't see it anywhere in the link but then I haven't had my first coffee of the day yet...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Where is the table detailing the reward of medical volunteers? I couldn't see it anywhere in the link but then I haven't had my first coffee of the day yet...
It is hidden in there somewhere, but it is not really a 'table'. It just describes the 'recognition' that should be awarded to MQVs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.