Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Penalty for missing Return part of TATL Itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS

Looking to FlY to US and don't care about return as have another flight.

the Routing is giving me DUB-LHR or EI and LHR-LAX on AA.

Would I get financially penalised for not using return flight with AA?

All booked on BA

Last edited by IRISHFLYER1; Mar 11, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The most accurate answer is yes, no, maybe, perhaps and unlikely.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

No.

There's various debates about potential risks to skipping the last leg of ex EU trips and whilst the argument theoretically is the same for booking a return flight when you only intend to take the outbound flight, I really don't see how you would encounter any issues.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
+1

;-)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree with this. If you've not done it before, whilst in no way recommending this course of action, it would tend to the unlikely area.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
BA log missed returns, as it's the most common way to frig pricing. If you do it occasionally you are unlikely to have an issue, do it often and they will ask you to explain why.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:01 am

Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody on FT can accurately answer the question and there are threads here about what has happened to TA's who book tickets where the final leg is skipped (dire), but those are commercial issues, not consumer.

Perhaps the most accurate answer is to say that BA could reprice the ticket and pursue you for the fare difference and then close your BAEC account and revoke your status. Whether BA would attempt the former and suceed if it attempted to do so or whether it would do the latter, is the issue as to which you will find thousands of posts from "experts" who read the minds of judges.

Hence, "yes, no maybe."
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by stueys
BA log missed returns, as it's the most common way to frig pricing. If you do it occasionally you are unlikely to have an issue, do it often and they will ask you to explain why.
Can you not just phone up and cancel it?

You can get your taxes back.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Can you not just phone up and cancel it?

You can get your taxes back.
After the trip has been re-priced as a one-way ticket, perhaps?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
After the trip has been re-priced as a one-way ticket, perhaps?
Not tried it but I expect exactly this
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's unlikely anything would happen to you, especially if you don't make habit of this.

The situation for missing onward connections from LHR to a European destination is treated differently by BA: there the passenger has checked in (I presume you will not even check in), the fare differences are much bigger and it's much easier for the passenger to exploit them, and the inconvenience to BA of having to wait for and handle a no-show at the gate is greater. Turnround managers don't need their blood pressure increased further by hidden-city no-shows on LHR-DUB and they are making their inconvenience known up the BA management chain.

Using half a long haul causes much less hassle, especially when you don't check in so they're not expecting you at the gate.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:36 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I've done this before. I had the return part LHR-YYZ booked to be flown in December (outbound had been flown in August). For long boring reasons I won't go into, I decided to book a LHR-YYZ-LHR flight to go out and back instead of using the original return segment and buying a one way return. I rang up and cancelled the original LHR-YYZ segment and they dutifully returned the taxes etc no questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.