Wiki Posts
Search

BOS Pre-Flight dining. What to expect

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
BOS Pre-Flight dining. What to expect

We're on a Sleeper Service flight next week in CW BOS-LHR. I understand they offer dining in the lounge as there will be no or limited service on board. (Fine by me. It's a 9 pm flight. My goal is to go to sleep as quickly as possible once on board)

There is a 7 pm flight on a 747 and I think 10 pm flight. I'm assuming the lounge gets very busy given three flights, not that far apart. Is this so?

What do they serve for food?
Just wondering what to expect. If anyone has any pictures, even better

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
We're on a Sleeper Service flight next week in CW BOS-LHR. I understand they offer dining in the lounge as there will be no or limited service on board. (Fine by me. It's a 9 pm flight. My goal is to go to sleep as quickly as possible once on board)

There is a 7 pm flight on a 747 and I think 10 pm flight. I'm assuming the lounge gets very busy given three flights, not that far apart. Is this so?

Thanks
The food is decent, better than you normally get on board.

In J it's a buffet, there will be a couple starter options and salad / soup and then 2-3 main course options with a variety of sides. It's pretty much what you'd expect, not mind blowing but you'll be able to get an enjoyable meal.

Desserts have been downgraded of late sadly (although I like my dessert unhealthy so the new choices may be better for you!)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
Coming back from Newark on the sleeper service in Jan, there was a hot buffet (various "meat with sauce" combinations - some of them not bad) and a noodle/dumpling option "cooked" (warmed/assembled) while-you-wait. Not too bad, not gourmet.

Most people then had a drink or two, but nothing more before sleeping.

Pity the breakfast was just as perfunctory, given that we were woken up in plenty of time to have a decent service.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I haven't done BOS this year (and generally try to avoid it due to the short flight not giving enough time for sleep) but do recall the lounge hot buffet being decent when I visited last summer. I particularly recall some very nice dim sum but I'm not sure if this is a regular feature or if I was lucky! There is no stir-fry like at JFK so perhaps it is instead of this? The lounge itself lacks windows though, which does give it the feel of being in the cellar!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
To be pedantic it's pre-flight Supper in CW and Dining in F.

Yes the lounge can get a bit busy especially if there are a lot of Saphire status and full J cabins. They restrict who eats when (rather sensibly) so that 212 get to eat first and then 202 and then 214. This has been made easier by the introduction of a stamp on your boarding pass (see post 8 below) which they can check to see what flight you're on.

Thanks
Sorry no pictures from me but see this Trip Report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post11355509 from speedymac for some (now quite old) pictures. There's usually starters, salads, hot main courses & veg/rice (there's normally* a decent vegetarian - which is me sorted) and desert/cheese. It's not fine dining but it isn't bad and certainly better for me than the offerings in the food sections upstairs in "E".

*I've once had a dish I couldn't eat and just stuck to starters/salads on that occasion.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 8, 2016 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I haven't done BOS this year (and generally try to avoid it due to the short flight not giving enough time for sleep) but do recall the lounge hot buffet being decent when I visited last summer. I particularly recall some very nice dim sum but I'm not sure if this is a regular feature or if I was lucky! There is no stir-fry like at JFK so perhaps it is instead of this? The lounge itself lacks windows though, which does give it the feel of being in the cellar!
All the lounges in "E" (bar one I believe which might be domestic) have no windows to the outside world. So BA are nothing special in this respect.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
I don't think you'll have trouble with capacity. You'll be given a card by lounge agent to present to dining staff who may be waiting at the entrance to dining area [if indeed it's getting crowded] or may just collect it from you at the table.

I'm sorry I don't know what US Platinum has now translated to, if it's One World Emerald you can turn right at entrance to Lounge 'complex' and use the smaller First lounge area but not the First Dining Room in that space.

As said, a rather decent selection of starters and mains. I always like the fish. Two or three red wines, two whites and San Pellegrino in the fridge from memory.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
I don't think you'll have trouble with capacity. You'll be given a card by lounge agent to present to dining staff who may be waiting at the entrance to dining area [if indeed it's getting crowded] or may just collect it from you at the table.

I'm sorry I don't know what US Platinum has now translated to, if it's One World Emerald you can turn right at entrance to Lounge 'complex' and use the smaller First lounge area but not the First Dining Room in that space.

As said, a rather decent selection of starters and mains. I always like the fish. Two or three red wines, two whites and San Pellegrino in the fridge from memory.
On my last visit the card had been enhanced ! They now stamp your boarding pass (see post 5 above) to indicate you're eligible.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 8, 2016 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My personal preference on these later flights is to eat a very early dinner in town (I'm normally doing this from JFK or YYZ). Sit down to eat at 5pm like an old person and you can be at the airport in time for your flight and get to bed reasonably quickly. It has a few advantages, including starting you back off more on the new time zone, and not sleeping with a full tummy. And you don't have to eat meat with sauce plus rice, probably with a curried flavour.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
On my last visit the card had been enhanced ! They now stamp your boarding pass (see post 5 above) to indicate you're eligible.
What if you have your boarding pass electronically on your phone?

Paper boarding passes are so 20th century.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nyuni
What if you have your boarding pass electronically on your phone?

Paper boarding passes are so 20th century.
I would hope they'd have a some other way of identifying you, maybe a hat of some kind with the odd tassle?

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 8, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
My personal preference on these later flights is to eat a very early dinner in town (I'm normally doing this from JFK or YYZ). Sit down to eat at 5pm like an old person and you can be at the airport in time for your flight and get to bed reasonably quickly. It has a few advantages, including starting you back off more on the new time zone, and not sleeping with a full tummy. And you don't have to eat meat with sauce plus rice, probably with a curried flavour.
Same here.

I find the J side of the lounge to have pretty poor food offerings on the whole. The F side is much better. If I couldn't get in the F side, I'd definitely be eating in town.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Interesting. Thanks for the information. I'll only be in CW and don't have Emerald Status so it's 'Supper' for me vs. 'Dining'.
I didn't realize they institute a kind of crowd control. I was actually considering getting there early and eating early (~5pm or so) so I'm not eating late plus the traffic can be a nightmare getting in. This would probably put me in with the 7pm flight so I may have to wait my turn.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Interesting. Thanks for the information. I'll only be in CW and don't have Emerald Status so it's 'Supper' for me vs. 'Dining'.
I didn't realize they institute a kind of crowd control. I was actually considering getting there early and eating early (~5pm or so) so I'm not eating late plus the traffic can be a nightmare getting in. This would probably put me in with the 7pm flight so I may have to wait my turn.
I've never experienced the 'crowd control' in many visits, however I've not been there since last April. The lounge is often busy, the dining (supper!) room less so.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it isn't busy then you might be able to dine with the 212 pax, just ask when you are at the desk and getting your BP stamped. I've been there when there has been virtually standing room only thanks to the number of OWS and 3 full J cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.