Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

lnterlining - QF to BA Separate PNR - max connection time ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Poster

QF from AKL to SYD, then BA to LHR but on separate PNR. Dep from AKL is 23 hours before SYD dep time.

Will I be allowed to interline my bags to LHR ?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It should be OK. You are allowed 24 hours at the relevant airport according to the scheduled arrival and departure times. I guess at SYD your bags will be there 20 or so hours and that's OK for through checking. You have to clear immigration and they may ask about your bags at Customs but you can clarify they are in transit. It's just the USA that there is a 10 to 12 hour limit. Being oneworld you can through check. You may get some pushback in some places, but not AKL.

[It would be a different answer if connecting domestically in Australia]
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks - thats helpful. As an aside I assume we will be able to check in for the SYD to LHR flight even though at that point it will be around 25 hours prior to the SYD flight ?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Not on separate bookings, no. You should get the App going on your phone, or the Mobile website for telephones, and so long as you haven't taken off you can check-in via those channels. I would suggest you do this if you can, since SYD-LHR is often very full.

I would have a post it note on your passport with the BA flight number and date, the PNR, the ticket number and your surname as used by BA writen on it, it makes life a lot easier for the check in staff.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks - just to clarify, not having checked in for the SYD LHR leg won't affect the ability to interline the
bags ?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by petez
Thanks - just to clarify, not having checked in for the SYD LHR leg won't affect the ability to interline the
bags ?
No, the baggage system is separately run to the passenger departure control system, and doesn't use much logic either. So as a general point of information, it's quite normal to have bags in the system and not be checked in. However you should present your baggage labels at the lounge or check in desk in SYD to check all is well.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Just for future information, wasn't allowed to interline as "SYD closes at night and we are not allowed to interline for overnight stops at SYD even if less than 24 hours " Quote by Qf supervisor.

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is what I would have expected - SYD is not into baggage storage and if stopping overnight would expect to have to collect and recheck bags in
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by petez
Just for future information, wasn't allowed to interline as "SYD closes at night and we are not allowed to interline for overnight stops at SYD even if less than 24 hours " Quote by Qf supervisor.
Thanks for that update, though it does surprise me a little - quite a lot of big airports close at night but can still can manage a few roosting bags. Anyone with any experience of MEL, PER or ADL? [For the BA codeshares, naturally]
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly the Supervisor did say that if it had been via BNE rather than SYD then they would have allowed me to interline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.