Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Long haul BA Transfer: Arrivals Lounge or Galleries/Terraces?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver

Hi there,

After a shameful 10 year break from One World longhaul I'm about to commence a mammoth Club World circuit from CGK to JFK via LHR... outward journey in one go. So, given that I have almost 3 hours between arrival at LHR (from KUL) and my final leg to LHR to JFK (5.15am-8.00am), assuming this time doesn't get squeezed, would you recommend me going to the Arrivals lounge for brekkie / freshening up and then returning through security or just staying Airside and going straight to the Terraces/Galleries?

Cheers,

dinbangkok
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
You can get a shower in either however the breakfast is better in the arrivals lounge compared with the Club lounges airside. The arrivals lounge can get quite busy early in the morning though. You could of course visit both in the time you have.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Keep in mind the Arrivals lounge is landside which means you'll have to clear Border Control (and be able to enter the UK). This could take some time, depending on what passport you hold.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Unless you have a non-EEA/Swiss passport, I would go landside and use the arrivals lounge for breakfast if the alternative is Galleries Club. If you don't have a European passport, I guess it depends on the length of the queue (and any visa requirements applicable).
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

thanks!

Happily I just ran out of space on my last British passport so have just obtained a new one - hopefully with a biometric chip that works this time! If the queue isn't too big I'll go landside- thanks for the advice
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
LHR T5 border had new eGates installed in Sep 2015, they are usually super-quick (I haven't waited more than 5mins, if that, to get through since they were put in service). They are at the left hand side of the immigration hall, then when you exit landside the elevator to the arrivals lounge is just to the left.

Just make sure you leave enough time to reclear security and get to the gate. You have to scan your BP at departures security at least 35 mins before scheduled departure time or you will be offloaded.

From your post I will assume you are on BA117 to JFK, which will likely depart from one of the satellite terminals T5B or C, allow a few extra mins for that. With a 3 hour connection, as mentioned above you could also visit an airside lounge after using arrivals for shower/breakfast.

KARFA's excellent guide to connecting at T5 is below, and various other resources are available on the Forum Dashboard.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-lhr-t5.html
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:52 am

Also worth noting that there's no booze in the arrivals lounge.

Remember it might be morning UK time but it'll be afternoon in KUL and just about time to go out out in NYC...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their contribution - I ended up going to the Arrivals Lounge after breezing through security in minutes. Great experience with a big breakfast, time in the massage chairs and a rather odd experience using the disabled shower (where most of the capsule 'floods' when you take a shower). I had enough time to try the North Gallery as well as T5B. I noted the whisky bar too which I will definitely check out before my night flight to HKG next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.