Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Skyflyer Solo (Unaccompanied Minor) scheme to close

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.

Unaccompanied Minors
Despite the overall growth in our customer numbers over the last decade, demand for our Skyflyer Solo (Unaccompanied Minor) service has declined.
Having conducted a thorough review of the service, we have concluded with regret that we can no longer offer this service.

British Airways will honour all bookings that have already been made for unaccompanied minors, but new bookings will cease from today (Wednesday February 24, 2016). In line with existing policy, the airline will continue to take bookings for 12 to 18 year-olds who wish to fly independently. However, children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or over
Wow. I'm sure i'm not alone in saying that my first experience of BA was through their excellent Skyflyer Solo scheme.

And that this was never intended to be a profit making scheme - more an essential service. So in a Business sense I get it, but this will impact a LOT of families.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:47 am

That is a real shame. I can see how some families could really rely on this service, and would continue to be happy to pay for it.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hello, kids ... welcome to the world of BA enhancements. You can't travel on your own any more.

I agree with the OP ... this will have significant impact on a lot of families.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The numbers have definitely been declining, which I find odd given (a) general passenger growth and (b) the rise in single parent families globally. The LGW desk in particular, I don't think I've ever seen a kid anywhere near it. I suspect parents are now more reluctant to let kids fly unaccompanied these days, which is a bit of a shame. One the best bits of my childhood was my twice yearly unaccompanied trips from NCL to CHC, which I started, well I think a whisker before my 12th birthday.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Must be a British thing. I know several British people who wouldn't even consider letting their children fly alone even if using Skyflyer Solo or similar.

Most other airlines don't charge for this service, so those parents who do want their children to fly alone would probably prefer another airline than pay the £50 each way or whatever it is BA charged for this.

Very sad.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I can't recall the last time i saw an unaccompanied minor on a BA aircraft, no surprise really. I reckon CWS has it spot on - people are just more wary of letting their kids do anything alone, flying alone would probably send half the parents in the country into a gibbering wreck.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One the best bits of my childhood was my twice yearly unaccompanied trips from NCL to CHC, which I started, well I think a whisker before my 12th birthday.
My London - Jakarta flights as a child were the absolute highlight of my early years. Especially as it twice involved being overnighted in Singapore due to problems with the BA planes, meaning I was dumped overnight in 5* hotels in the crew hotels who all took very good care of me! (Must have been a pain for the crew member who had to look after me, and I guess miss out on a night out with her colleagues )

Many airlines now offer the service but charge a supplement or full adult fare, and I guess most places in the world are covered. But (British) parents I guess feel safer putting their kids on BA with British crew on mainly direct flights rather than the middle east.

Well, I say that but by the time I was 13 they considered me an adult, and started sticking me on the cheapest airlines - such as Czechslovakian Airlines (3 stops from Prague to Jakarta), Royal Brunei etc. But it's my BA flights I remember most, especially the cockpit visits!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder, what people whose children are boarding school students in the UK will do now?
Hire a person to fly with their children?

Actually I can't think of any other major airline which doesn't provide such service.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Ivanerr
I wonder, what people whose children are boarding school students in the UK will do now?

Actually I can't think of any other major airline which doesn't provide such service.
Perhaps a great opportunity for you to start this type of business ?

Anyways one of the things they can do is to find other boarders who are older than 12 and go to the place together, providing they know each other and that they live in the same area...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's a lot more stigma attached to this practice of sending minors off alone on a journey and expecting strangers to look after them.

Far too much responsibility to make it worth the airlines while anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Ivanerr
Quite possibly. I suspect that their employers (assuming they pay for overseas schooling and return flights each term, which the company I worked for for 35 years did) will pay for a return fare for a mother/father/maid to accompany them on each trip to/from school.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:41 am

I can't remember if it was with BA specifically, but when flying under 12, I remember the FAs taking me to sit in empty business class seats just before landing, so we could get off faster.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Most other airlines don't charge for this service, so those parents who do want their children to fly alone would probably prefer another airline than pay the £50 each way or whatever it is BA charged for this.
Can you name these airlines? Some of my friends often use this service and I have never heard that they did not have to pay for it.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SteveF
Quite possibly. I suspect that their employers (assuming they pay for overseas schooling and return flights each term, which the company I worked for for 35 years did) will pay for a return fare for a mother/father/maid to accompany them on each trip to/from school.
That would be extremely expensive. Spending at least £7000 (2 RT CW fares from Tokyo for a 'valet') each term on top of the school fees in comparison with Sky Flyer's $600

I guess these people will have to switch to another airline.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
That's a pity. I use UM service on SN for my kids, so they can visit the grandparents during school holidays, and if SN did the same as BA I would be quite annoyed...
UM fees (50eur each way per child) are however always less than adding 2 rt adult tickets (bring them/come back, go pick them up/come back together) and the service a lot more convenient comparing times and hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.