Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the Heathrow Concorde?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

My understanding is there is still a Concorde at Heathrow, somewhere near the 27L runway. Does anyone know if it is still there? I have tried looking via GoogleMaps, no luck at least not as of today, 18FEB2016. I found that green odd looking mash-up of a 747-DC10 [guess its a fire training plane or something] but no Concorde. After some on line searching, it appears to have moved in/near a maintenance hanger then back to the end of the runway, but I still can't find it.

Here's the real question, I will have an overnight in Heathrow staying at the T4 Hilton and my ongoing flight leaves at 2p, so I have plenty of time in the morning to go look for it. Would the Concorde (wherever it is today) be visible from either the Perimeter Road or A30? There appears to be a sidewalk along the A30, so if the Concorde is where it was, would it be visible? If it is somewhere else, could I take an uber or similar to get to it?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

It was near the threshold of 27L a few weeks ago when I was there. It generally stays there but is sometimes moved to the engineering hangar.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
It spent a stint in a hangar around Christmas time but believe it's back in its normal location on the east end of the airfield close to the numbers of 27L again now.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

It is well within the airfield perimeter so not accessible to the public.

If you want to see a Concorde up close in the UK there is one at the MAN spectator park which you can tour.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Closest Concorde you can visit near Heathrow is at Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, which is about 25 mins away outside rush hour.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks folks!
I understand it is inside the airfield perimeter and I can't approach it, but would it be close enough to photograph from the A30?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think you'll get a good view from the public areas, I'm sorry to report. The very best view is on the starboard side coming into 27L. The other place you can (normally) see her is from the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross. If you checkin online, and ideally have a bit of status with Hilton, then you can select the rooms that overlook this area, you need to be on the top 2 floors (7 and 8 from memory).

And again from memory, this was roughly where she was yesterday.

imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/oto1vJ.jpg

update: see below

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 19, 2016 at 1:34 am Reason: incorrect location
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think you'll get a good view from the public areas, I'm sorry to report. The very best view is on the starboard side coming into 27L. The other place you can (normally) see her is from the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross. If you checkin online, and ideally have a bit of status with Hilton, then you can select the rooms that overlook this area, you need to be on the top 2 floors (7 and 8 from memory).

And again from memory, this was roughly where she was yesterday.

Close enough! The place where you've put your star is the TE stands, which are used operationally. The Concorde is more to the left. See the big hangar pretty much at the centre of the picture? follow the long and thin building, and immediately down the A/C parked to the left of it you'll find a small gray area, with a road to its south: that's where Concorde is. You can see it if you walk into the car park to the right of the picture, which is used by employees only but can be accessed by pedestrians if they so wish.

Concorde spent some time in the hangar, as a few posters mentioned, during Christmas as she got new ballast in the fuselage, and a general check against corrosion and so on.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Closest Concorde you can visit near Heathrow is at Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, which is about 25 mins away outside rush hour.
And isn't Weybridge where the British Concordes were built? For those on the other side of the Atlantic, the most accessible Concorde is at the Seattle Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, and the one I flew twice (BOAG) and attended a farewell reception with, followed by the one in NYC on the USS Enterprise.

I don't suppose that faux Concorde is still located on the main roadway into LHR as it had been for decades?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you 13900, is this nearer the mark? I can vaguely detect a shadow on the tarmac from her wings.

Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Ok, great! Thanks everyone, I will consider switching to the Hilton Garden v. the Hilton T4, I do have Hilton gold... will be tough giving up on the lounge though...

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Ok, great! Thanks everyone, I will consider switching to the Hilton Garden v. the Hilton T4, I do have Hilton gold... will be tough giving up on the lounge though...

Thanks for the help!
There are other lounges and better ones than Hilton T4 (and as Gold it's not guaranteed?). The HGI is vastly easier to get to, even for T4 users! But the right rooms from the HGI do give excellent views of landing aircraft. You want the rooms overlooking but to the left of the oval-ish conference centre on the Hilton OLCI map for arriving aircraft. You want the overside, top side of the S, for apron (ramp) watching.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And isn't Weybridge where the British Concordes were built?

I don't suppose that faux Concorde is still located on the main roadway into LHR as it had been for decades?
The faux Concorde now sits (painted in retro livery) on the roundabout outside Mercedes Benz world, Brooklands. It's looks great lit up at night
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:15 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Replaced with an Emirates A380.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:30 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
And isn't Weybridge where the British Concordes were built?
Hello Shareholder, hope you are well? The British Concorde's were built at (and first flown from) Filton which is a suburb of the city of Bristol. However a great deal of the design work was carried out at Weybridge, and it was the UK program HQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.