Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change/Cancel remainder of Avios booking after initial departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat

I booked a ticket with Avios (flying on AA) for a relative to assist with a family emergency. She has already flown the outbound, but would now like to change the return.

I would like to just cancel it online at this point, lose the $5 in taxes, and rebook her at a later date, but am concerned I'll lose the avios also since the itinerary has already started. If I cannot cancel the return and salvage the Avios, can I change the return by paying the $55 change fee instead? Or, am I completely out of luck and she's stuck with her existing return? (and me forking out more avios to book an alternate return).

Hoping someone else has been through a similar scenario.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
I booked a ticket with Avios (flying on AA) for a relative to assist with a family emergency. She has already flown the outbound, but would now like to change the return.

I would like to just cancel it online at this point, lose the $5 in taxes, and rebook her at a later date, but am concerned I'll lose the avios also since the itinerary has already started. If I cannot cancel the return and salvage the Avios, can I change the return by paying the $55 change fee instead? Or, am I completely out of luck and she's stuck with her existing return? (and me forking out more avios to book an alternate return).

Hoping someone else has been through a similar scenario.
Once you reach 24 hours before the start of the first flight in an Avios booking the entire booking becomes completely inflexible. No changes, no refunds, that includes the avios.

This is one of the reasons people are advised to always make avios bookings as one-ways unless there are significant cost differences or using a voucher etc. If you book it as a normal return then once the outbound is flown, as in this situation, then there is nothing you can do with the return.

If the need to make the change is somehow related to the family emergency you could call BA and plead with them for some leeway, but I'm not sure this will be very successful as it is technically against the T&Cs.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
Once you reach 24 hours before the start of the first flight in an Avios booking the entire booking becomes completely inflexible. No changes, no refunds, that includes the avios.

This is one of the reasons people are advised to always make avios bookings as one-ways unless there are significant cost differences or using a voucher etc. If you book it as a normal return then once the outbound is flown, as in this situation, then there is nothing you can do with the return.

If the need to make the change is somehow related to the family emergency you could call BA and plead with them for some leeway, but I'm not sure this will be very successful as it is technically against the T&Cs.
Thank you for the clear/concise response. My generosity has come back to bite me again it seems...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:06 am

Not true, and has not been the case for some years. Changes can be made to remaining sectors after the first departure.

Changes to each leg can be made up to 24 hours before each departure. Not sure about cancellation, but definitely changes are possible.

Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dakota
Not true, and has not been the case for some years. Changes can be made to remaining sectors after the first departure.

Changes to each leg can be made up to 24 hours before each departure. Not sure about cancellation, but definitely changes are possible.
I don't think this is the case. I recently asked an Avios agent about this and below is from BA's site and the same is on Avios.com

"16.5. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary."
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF

Not true - non refundable 24 hours before first flight, changes up to 24 hours before each flight.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You have until 24 hours before the inbound flight of a return booking (having flown the outbound) to change it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-out-legs.html

If you cancel the inbound of a return avios booking (having flown the outbound) no avios will be returned.

As noted, one way bookings are oftentimes preferable.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Thanks for the info everyone. My understanding was the same as Paros_fan's and it seems the T&Cs are out of date also then. When exactly did this change?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks for the info everyone. My understanding was the same as Paros_fan's and it seems the T&Cs are out of date also then. When exactly did this change?
Years ago.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Turns out it was possible, I just changed it, paid the $55 fee and had the phone fee waived since the change could not be made online.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:37 pm

Good news. ^

Let's hope BA doesn't revert to its written change terms!

Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
Thanks for all the replies.

Turns out it was possible, I just changed it, paid the $55 fee and had the phone fee waived since the change could not be made online.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Good to know. I also thought that flexibility went after the first leg was flown.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Another data point. I have changed my return leg on an Avios booking as recently as three days ago
Old May 11, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Banana4321
Another data point. I have changed my return leg on an Avios booking as recently as three days ago
can you change online in this instance?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club
Just to update.

BA on Twitter. Previously very good, now shockingly bad. Disappearing mid conversation, then returning days later, sometimes with false information. very hit and miss.

BA on the phone. South African call centre are total idiots. They know nothing, they are kids having a party, laughing on the phone. Twice cut off, once deliberate, once just left on a dead line she forgot to come back to. Indian call centre just as bad, if not worse. They don't know the rules and state incorrect lies as facts.

Resolution. Finally got through to someone in the UK and then had to transfer to someone else in Avios ! No direct number and no option to select Avios from the menu. However, excellent lady who too all of 5 minutes to resolve as I had already supplied the desired flight details. This was on QR metal, due to a long ago cancellation from BA. Route was LKR-BKK-LHR in business class. Flights changed, no cost.

Summation

Whether you can routinely change the return leg of Avios reward flights after having already flown the outbound leg I do not know but only the UK call centre knew enough to get the job done. Overseas idiots just wasted time.

However, this was possible, on QR metal, without any cost. Outbound flight was also on QR. Clearly cannot be done online, hence potentially why no cost but I had checked the QR website and the flights for the dates I wanted were no more expensive than the flights on the dates we were already booked so I was not expecting a charge really. Happy there was not one in the end of course. No advice on whether this was a one time thing or whether we could do repeated changes but QR policy now is unlimited changes so perhaps that was why also, despite it being a BA Avios redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.