Search

North Carolina <-> asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
North Carolina <-> asia

Hi All,

I've just turned BAEC Gold for the firs time ever. Current status is 1625 TPs and about 155000 avios. Collection year is 8th Aug - 8th Aug.

I've got two trips planned, A work trip in coach at the end of Feb CLT-SFO rtn and a trip down AMS-DOH-BKK return in J in May. The last CLT-SFO trip netted me 70 TPs and about 3500 avios and the QR trip 560 TPs and about 16000 avios.

So I think I should end up with roughly about 2250 TPs and 175000 avios.

My goal is to use my avios be able to fly from where I live (Charlotte, NC) to HKG, SIN or BKK in J for a few hundred bucks or less in Feb 2017.

As I've never been gold before, I am not really sure what the score is. I keep hearing about GUF1 and GUF2, Do these mean Gold upgrade for 1 and Gold upgrade for 2?? Can these only be used on BA? In reality, Is there much availability for these?

Looking at what I am shooting for in Feb 2017, Is it worth me trying to get to 2500 with a quick 1st class tier points run on AA?

Thanks,
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You're going to need more Avios to accomplish what you want. I think that 200K Avios will get you CLT-ORD/BOS/YYZ/EWR/JFK-HKG (and back) in J as a distance-based, multi-partner award (under 20,000 flown miles), but you might have to travel in Y for any AA domestic legs, as those flights do not have J.

You should be able to add on BKK to any of those routings -- or SIN to a couple of them -- for no additional mileage, with or without a stopover in HKG. BA's multi-partner awards permit free en-route stopovers.

Surcharges should be modest on this award itinerary.

Consider getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase/BA credit card to boost your Avios total to the needed level.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You're going to need more Avios to accomplish what you want. I think that 200K Avios will get you CLT-ORD/BOS/YYZ/EWR/JFK-HKG (and back) in J as a distance-based, multi-partner award (under 20,000 flown miles), but you might have to travel in Y for any AA domestic legs, as those flights do not have J.

You should be able to add on BKK to any of those routings -- or SIN to a couple of them -- for no additional mileage, with or without a stopover in HKG. BA's multi-partner awards permit free en-route stopovers.

Surcharges should be modest on this award itinerary.

Consider getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase/BA credit card to boost your Avios total to the needed level.
Thanks for the reply. Y domestic is fine, especially as I can book ee or mce seats.

I'd love to get one of those credit cards but I have only been in the US since September and am still viewed as some sort of credit pariah.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

"I'd love to get one of those credit cards but I have only been in the US since September and am still viewed as some sort of credit pariah."

Does Chase have retail-banking branches in NC? If so, it might help your cause to open an account at one, and then talk to your branch's manager in several months about obtaining a credit card.

Amex MR points from accounts in certain countries can also transfer to BA, as can Starwood Hotel (SPG) points. Got any of those? If not, think about staying at Starwood properties on your upcoming trips, or at other hotel chains that can also earn BA Avios. And do not overlook car rentals as another way of earning Avios.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

"I'd love to get one of those credit cards but I have only been in the US since September and am still viewed as some sort of credit pariah."

Does Chase have retail-banking branches in NC? If so, it might help your cause to open an account at one, and then talk to your branch's manager in several months about obtaining a credit card.

Amex MR points from accounts in certain countries can also transfer to BA, as can Starwood Hotel (SPG) points. Got any of those? If not, think about staying at Starwood properties on your upcoming trips, or at other hotel chains that can also earn BA Avios. And do not overlook car rentals as another way of earning Avios.
I'm not sure if Chase have branches down here, I have't seen any. It's mainly Wells Fargo and Bank of America alongside fifth third and peoples bank. I've had my BoA current account since September and I also have a credit card with them but its one of those ones that I needed to give them a thousand dollar deposit for a thousand dollar credit line.

I don't have starwood points but I do have Marriott, might be interesting as I thin Marriott have bought starwood.

I hope that I might be able to get one of the Chase/BA cards later this year.

Thanks of the advice.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by capin
As I've never been gold before, I am not really sure what the score is. I keep hearing about GUF1 and GUF2, Do these mean Gold upgrade for 1 and Gold upgrade for 2?? Can these only be used on BA? In reality, Is there much availability for these?
Yes, yes, yes and yes (provided you use a travel agent to upgrade a revenue fare at the time of booking). If you don't book with a travel agent you will need to rely on redemption availability for the class in which you would like to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.