Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oxygen masks in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:16 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Oxygen masks in F

In the event of an emergency, we all know oxygen masks will drop down from the panel above our heads.

We've seen the video, and that's fine.

However, how many oxygen masks are there in the panel above?

In F, for example, are there two above each seat? If not, what happens if someone is sat in the buddy seat?

I appreciate the buddy-seats have disappeared in the updated F product, but I'm curious.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are two above each seat.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
In the event of an emergency, we all know oxygen masks will drop down from the panel above our heads.

We've seen the video, and that's fine.

However, how many oxygen masks are there in the panel above?

In F, for example, are there two above each seat? If not, what happens if someone is sat in the buddy seat?

I appreciate the buddy-seats have disappeared in the updated F product, but I'm curious.

They do allow lap infants in F, so I am guessing that there are at least two. The cost of an additional mask being pretty low.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:09 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There are two above each seat.
Thanks for letting me know CIHY!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Exec, Amex Plat, CX Gold, etc.
I guess the next burning question is, do those of us who are lucky to be in F get our own oxygen supply or do have to *shudder* share with the rest of the plane? (j/k of course)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would expect F oxygen to be the finest quality obtained from the crystal clear air atop a mountain range lightly fragranced with the scent of fresh flowers and fir trees.

But then this is BA so it's more likely to be a factory on a roundabout in Guilford
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would expect F oxygen to be the finest quality obtained from the crystal clear air atop a mountain range lightly fragranced with the scent of fresh flowers and fir trees.

But then this is BA so it's more likely to be a factory on a roundabout in Guilford
There certainly used to be a huge air separation plan in Warrington. Probably makes you speak with a Northern accent if you breath it. Not that there's owt wrong with that.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Does anybody know if the passenger supply channel is technically the same in First as in Club World?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All cabins are in a ring main so all the same.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Does anybody know if the passenger supply channel is technically the same in First as in Club World?
I had guessed it was you who had asked that question before I saw the left hand side of the screen.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
^

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had guessed it was you who had asked that question before I saw the left hand side of the screen.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I don't think this is correct. Whilst the cockpit is generally supplied by oxygen from compressed gas bottles each oxygen mask in the cabin is supplied by it's own chemical canister.

More reading:
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's true of the aircraft I fly on.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I don't think this is correct. Whilst the cockpit is generally supplied by oxygen from compressed gas bottles each oxygen mask in the cabin is supplied by it's own chemical canister.

More reading:
Oxygen can be supplied in both ways, so it is correct.

Remember the QANTAS 747 where an oxygen bottle exploded, ripping a hole in the side of the plane, forward of the wing? That was an oxygen bottle which is part of the gaseous ring main system used to supply emergency oxygen to the cabin, which are stowed in the hold of the aircraft, in the wall structure behind the panels of the cargo hold side walls.

We have a mix of systems across the fleet, both the ring main system, and the chemical generator system, both of which were fitted at different periods by the manufacturers.

I believe there is also an element of regulatory instruction on this subject, where as on our 777 aircraft we have a gaseous ring main system, in the US, the FAA dictate that chemical generators must be used, so a 777 with AA or UA would be different to ours.

These ring main systems are also what you will see crew using in the event that a passenger is required to use oxygen for medical reasons during the flight, and we have a process to go through with the flight crew to switch the system on, to ensure that it does not deploy all of the emergency oxygen masks throughout the cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well done Bingy you are great a giving full explanations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.