Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Making a mess of your Business Travel - 1st world problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Otherwise known as "How to make an arse of yourself with your family"

I've just realized that I get back to AUH from a business trip to Amsterdam on Saturday night....only to have to go and put a change of clothes in my suitcase, go back to the airport, catch the same BA 787 again after it has made it's Muscat hop, and head off to Zurich.

I made a right cock of my dates. I wish I could share the look my wife gave me. Thankfully they change crew so I'm not recognized. It's almost like a mileage run, but its not.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
We have all done something similar one time or another. It's too easy to focus on the details of what you are meant to be doing.

I have a trip booked to Ireland during half term, two weeks after taking a week to do a business trip and then go to my sisters wedding. Have not told my wife yet
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs Lem has a big birthday next year, mine a year after, and we're planning a big trip in spring 2018 to take in the various countries we'd like to visit - including Japan, China and India.

Earlier this month I was moved to our parent company and am now responsible for IT in all offices outside of the Americas, and have to visit them all this year to plan getting them all on our common platform - including Japan, China and India...

Not sure how I'm going to bring this up...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:35 am

We've all done it

I hate the arrivals back into Zurich, quick 20min train back to mine empty & repack suitcase then back to the airport within an hour of arrival. That is draining, but sometimes a necessity if you are away for an extended period and there are no direct flights between your incoming port and your next destination - it's actually like a transfer
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Well, at least you got to go home... I've had the mrs meet me at the airport to hand me a set of new clothes once or twice.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by agehall
Well, at least you got to go home... I've had the mrs meet me at the airport to hand me a set of new clothes once or twice.
+1
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I have done something similar .. came back from IND on Friday to SFO, flew next day SFO-MIA-MBJ. Did feel a bit knackered when I arrived at the resort :-)

Came back from MBJ on Thursday almost 2 weeks later to just fly out Sunday to IND again.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It doesn't have to be business travel!

Five years ago, I had a long-planned trip to Dubai for Christmas. And then a trip to Sydney in the middle of the year had to be cancelled. Because there was a CW sale on at the time that I had to cancel, I moved the ticket to December and treated myself to the upgrade, but (probably foolishly) timed it to arrive at LHR on the morning of the day when I was due to fly to DXB in the evening. 10 hours was supposed to be enough to go home, replace the contents of the suitcase, and haul myself back to LHR.

And then it snowed in London, and all of those plans had to be abandoned because there just wasn't enough cushion. I ended up flying SYD-DXB-LHR on an expensive one-way ticket, on EK in Y.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dubh
Otherwise known as "How to make an arse of yourself with your family"

I've just realized that I get back to AUH from a business trip to Amsterdam on Saturday night....only to have to go and put a change of clothes in my suitcase, go back to the airport, catch the same BA 787 again after it has made it's Muscat hop, and head off to Zurich.

I made a right cock of my dates. I wish I could share the look my wife gave me. Thankfully they change crew so I'm not recognized. It's almost like a mileage run, but its not.

With all due respect, you are doing the exact thing you should for your AMS-ZRH journey to maximize Avios/TPs!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Last year I had a lads trip to Tenerife booked and at short notice had to do a 2 day business trip to Lisbon. I got home from Lisbon around 2330 and was on a 0700 flight from Gatwick the next day. Mrs. N. not impressed as it was the fourth time my bad planning had meant either a holiday flight commencing the day after a return from a business trip or returning late from a holiday flight into Gatwick to be on the 0640 Heathrow to Brussels the next day.

This year I have planned all my holiday flights with at least a weeks separation from business trips. Somethings bound to go wrong though.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Out of curiosity: Why not just change the date of your return flight, do the ZRH trip from AMS and then return to AUH afterwards? Are you only allowed restricted tickets?

(Apologies if I've misunderstood your itinerary)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I booked one of the cheap £150 CE trips to RAK for a weekend starting next Friday. The flight leaves from LGW at 13.00. I'm now coming in to LHR from VIE at 09.35. What could possibly go wrong...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Mrs Lem has a big birthday next year, mine a year after, and we're planning a big trip in spring 2018 to take in the various countries we'd like to visit - including Japan, China and India.

Earlier this month I was moved to our parent company and am now responsible for IT in all offices outside of the Americas, and have to visit them all this year to plan getting them all on our common platform - including Japan, China and India...

Not sure how I'm going to bring this up...
Why? Unless you hate Asia (which makes it an odd choice for the place you want to visit!), how is going there 2 years in a row even noteworthy, let alone a problem!?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, maybe I should have been clearer - she would like to visit them for the first time together
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, maybe I should have been clearer - she would like to visit them for the first time together
Because you acted like it was a big deal without giving any indication about why it would be! Even now it doesn't seem like it warrants any more than "oh, that's a shame" - but then I'm not your wife!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.