Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Companion Pass - Impossible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

BA Companion Pass - Impossible?

Looking to travel to Europe from LAX (or another West US city - SFO, PHX etc) but I cannot find a single first outbound flight... Is it impossible, or just improbable?

Any suggestions?

Willing to go at non-optimum times, and flexibility with work allows for building a trip around available dates.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Which month are you looking?? There are some generous times (Nov?) for these - a flight last week had three F seats to LAX in Nov

You can often get Dallas DFW / Houston IAH and then a small hop on a budget airline ?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Which month are you looking?? There are some generous times (Nov?) for these - a flight last week had three F seats to LAX in Nov

You can often get Dallas DFW / Houston IAH and then a small hop on a budget airline ?
I just checked March-January '17, and nothing out of LAX... I'm open to dates. Prefer something warmer, but can adjust. Pass expires in Nov.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jacobslide
I just checked March-January '17, and nothing out of LAX... I'm open to dates. Prefer something warmer, but can adjust. Pass expires in Nov.
That's a particularly difficult station for this, along with CPT probably the most difficult in BA's entire network to get redemptions, unless you book at T-355 days. Try SJC, SFO, SAN, YVR, SEA, DEN, LAS and PHX. I can see some availability during this period. If all else fails Houston, Atlanta and New York are your new best friends.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Great, thank you!

I'll just keep chugging along, and plug in closer airports!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm not sure how the companion voucher works in the US, but in the UK it must be used on BA metal, and therefore it could only be a flight to London. Is that the case?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And if you find something which is "best of a bad deal", sign up for it, then check once a day for your favourite option. Then switch over if it's worth the change fee. The connecting flight to Atlanta (etc) would have to probably be on a separate booking, but this can easily be cancelled for minimal fees if done with Avios.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I'm not sure how the companion voucher works in the US, but in the UK it must be used on BA metal, and therefore it could only be a flight to London. Is that the case?
Yes, from the USA, but it can be used on to a Europe destination as a connection from LHR, and in the case of NYC, LGW and LCY. Also there is the OpenSkies to Paris. But it is a good point, best to search LAX to LHR first, then look separately for other options, ringing up to conect flights if necessary. Avios redemptions involving connections can be quite poor in showing up.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:23 am

I have found some availability for 2 seats for both LAX - LHR and LHR - LAX in CW in September.

Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a particularly difficult station for this, along with CPT probably the most difficult in BA's entire network to get redemptions, unless you book at T-355 days. Try SJC, SFO, SAN, YVR, SEA, DEN, LAS and PHX. I can see some availability during this period. If all else fails Houston, Atlanta and New York are your new best friends.
+1. I would add SYD and SFO to your accurate description of LAX and CPT as difficult flights on which to find two redemption seats in F on the same flight.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:37 am

I have found some availability for 2 seats for both LAX - LHR and LHR - LAX in CW in September.

The Reward Flight Map tool is not a good indication of real-time availability. Best to use the actual flight search "Book flights with Avios" tool which shows real-time availability.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
The Reward Flight Map tool is not a good indication of real-time availability. Best to use the actual flight search "Book flights with Avios" tool which shows real-time availability.
That was the quickest thing I could do to help the OP, hoping the OP would then do a "traditional" search based on those dates.

The BA app is also quite good to do certain kinds of award searches.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

That was the quickest thing I could do to help the OP, hoping the OP would then do a "traditional" search based on those dates.

The BA app is also quite good to do certain kinds of award searches.
Great, thanks. Is CW synonymous with Business, and not First? Was hoping to find first, but maybe a direct business class would be better than flying to Houston and then London.

Cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:50 am

Great, thanks. Is CW synonymous with Business, and not First? Was hoping to find first, but maybe a direct business class would be better than flying to Houston and then London.

Cheers!
CW = Club World, BA's long haul business class product.

My suggestion would be to book and then check if any space comes up in first later on. You could then change your booking for a small fee.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Cheers!
Club World (CW) is BA business class. You should consider booking CW if that is available then changing to F if that becomes available later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.