Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't catering improve the way they cook meat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn't catering improve the way they cook meat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
fussy customers
How does it get to be the customers' fault again?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I wonder how other airlines manage it then?
Other airline may operate within their own guidelines and as pointed out above, there is actually minimal (being almost 0) risk in serving the product cold nice cooked rare if chilled correctly.

I am confused at how sometimes BA can do this if the UK reheating law on this is followed, but am certainly not complaining if they manage it somehow. I guess they could take it out of the oven just warmed up, which would do the trick just nicely, but am 99.9% sure that technically they are not supposed to
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
If the BA steak is that bad, how come all the GCHs love it? I say this becasue as a SCH I have never managed to be able to choose it. In the BA pecking order only GCHs and above would be ahead of me in choice.
Actually that does not necessarily mean that GCH and above love it - it may just mean that BA stock comparatively few of them or that for some reasons the routes that you fly have more meat lovers than average. Catering stocks do not include equal numbers of all options but proportions based on what BA thinks is the expected demand for the various choices. Sometimes they get it right, but sometimes they get it wrong - for instance they often load too few of the main course salads which I personally often find the best option.

That said I think that you have been remarkably unlucky not to get the steak if you wanted it as several times I have overheard crew mentioning to people who hadn't got their first choice that this was one or the only option left!!

In any case, hopefully, now that pre-ordering is available on most routes from London you have been able to pre-order it to satisfy your curiosity!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
How does it get to be the customers' fault again?
Because they are the ones who are always complaining.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Other airline may operate within their own guidelines and as pointed out above, there is actually minimal (being almost 0) risk in serving the product cold nice cooked rare if chilled correctly.

I am confused at how sometimes BA can do this if the UK reheating law on this is followed, but am certainly not complaining if they manage it somehow. I guess they could take it out of the oven just warmed up, which would do the trick just nicely, but am 99.9% sure that technically they are not supposed to
Let's be clear it isn't a law, there is a big difference between a legal requirement and a company making a risk calculation.

Can you get a rare steak in a UK restaurant? Of course you can. Can you get that in every restaurant no you can't but you can in most (those denying this choice have an effective risk tolerance of zero).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:59 am

Actually that does not necessarily mean that GCH and above love it - it may just mean that BA stock comparatively few of them or that for some reasons the routes that you fly have more meat lovers than average. Catering stocks do not include equal numbers of all options but proportions based on what BA thinks is the expected demand for the various choices. Sometimes they get it right, but sometimes they get it wrong - for instance they often load too few of the main course salads which I personally often find the best option.

That said I think that you have been remarkably unlucky not to get the steak if you wanted it as several times I have overheard crew mentioning to people who hadn't got their first choice that this was one or the only option left!!

In any case, hopefully, now that pre-ordering is available on most routes from London you have been able to pre-order it to satisfy your curiosity!
I will be affording myself that privilege soon. To be fair I did not try order the steak everytime I have flown, but have a 0% hit rate when I have. A couple of times I was asked if I was prepared to choose something else and remarkably twice they had forgotten to load the steak altogether.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:08 pm

A couple of times I was asked if I was prepared to choose something else and remarkably twice they had forgotten to load the steak altogether.
Paradoxically, it surprises me less than them running out! I have had a couple of similar mishaps (once forgetting to load a dish, several times them loading something else than what was on the menu!)
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:08 pm

Because they are the ones who are always complaining.
Ah, yes, sorry I forgot!!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Let's be clear it isn't a law, there is a big difference between a legal requirement and a company making a risk calculation.
Cooking the steak medium/rare as you say it leaves GG and then chilling is fine. Yes, a rare steak in a UK restaurant is also fine providing traceability is provided & the product comes from a trusted/vetted source.

Now, if BA were to serve that cooked semi rare steak cold after being suitably chilled, would usually be fine but the risk calculation factor done by BA prevents this. What is not fine, and 100% against UK law is to then take that pre cooked semi rare steak and reheat not reaching a core temperature of 75C (or 82C under Scottish law) which by default will result in a well done steak. For a rare stake, the core temperature at times will only reach 45C usually. BA, in line with all large catering companies will have implemented a HACCP food safety management system which if followed, prevents unsuitably heated food being served as a critical control point.

On another note, I really can't understand restaurant's that serve from freshly cooked and won't do anything but well done steaks, but I agree.....some do, which is odd as they are missing a trick and certainly must have a risk tolerance of zero.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I think we are establishing that tastes differ so those who like their steaks charcoaled, look away now.

this was the last steak I had in the air and it was the best I've had served on a plane. served 3 weeks ago on an AA flight on an A330 (i.e. older ex US aircraft) so hardly down to modern / sophisticated ovens.

I do recall a few years ago asking an AA crew member if I should go for the steak on a flight on a 763 and she said "you definitely should sir, my colleague who is cooking today knows how to do great steaks on planes".

Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
I think we are establishing that tastes differ so those who like their steaks charcoaled, look away now.

this was the last steak I had in the air and it was the best I've had served on a plane. served 3 weeks ago on an AA flight on an A330 (i.e. older ex US aircraft) so hardly down to modern / sophisticated ovens.

I do recall a few years ago asking an AA crew member if I should go for the steak on a flight on a 763 and she said "you definitely should sir, my colleague who is cooking today knows how to do great steaks on planes".

Has that steak even seen any cooking apparatus?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Has that steak even seen any cooking apparatus?
it tasted fantastic!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
I think we are establishing that tastes differ so those who like their steaks charcoaled, look away now...
This is certainly what I'd like it to look like on a plane. I'd normally have it rarer/bluer than that but just to be on the same said that would certainly be enjoyable!

Some airlines do make a point of asking you how you want your steak. I have had that every time I've ordered a steak on KE for instance. I'd be happy to sign a health disclaimer to BA if only they let me go around that silly safety thing*.

* and yes, I know it wouldn't help if it is a regulatory issue.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
If the BA steak is that bad, how come all the GCHs love it? I say this becasue as a SCH I have never managed to be able to choose it. In the BA pecking order only GCHs and above would be ahead of me in choice.
Because sadly, everything else I've tried over the years was even worse
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd normally have it rarer/bluer than that.
You won't be getting an invite to one of my BBQ's then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.