Wiki Posts
Search

NRT red-eye and sleep

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
NRT red-eye and sleep

Heading out to Tokyo on the BA5 in a couple of weeks for a five-day work trip. On previous occasions, have always struggled with the time difference going to the Far East, often taking days and days to adjust. Any tips from people that regularly do this journey, ideally on getting to sleep at a weird time (the flight leaves London early afternoon and basically lands about midnight GMT)? Will be travelling Club, so will have a bed. Ideally need to be alert when I land as will be heading to meetings (so no "drink your way to sleep" tips, please).
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:43 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Originally Posted by Guzzler
Heading out to Tokyo on the BA5 in a couple of weeks for a five-day work trip. On previous occasions, have always struggled with the time difference going to the Far East, often taking days and days to adjust. Any tips from people that regularly do this journey, ideally on getting to sleep at a weird time (the flight leaves London early afternoon and basically lands about midnight GMT)? Will be travelling Club, so will have a bed. Ideally need to be alert when I land as will be heading to meetings (so no "drink your way to sleep" tips, please).
I would use a jetlag reducing plan, seeking and avoiding light at specific times.

I went to Sydney over NYE and used: http://www.jetlagrooster.com/. I followed the instructions religiously and not suffered from any jet lag at all. Worth trying it...

By the way, I would start adjusting to the new time a few days in advance..
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I take it it's not feasible to travel on BA4600 (JL44) to HND the night before?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by Cymro
I take it it's not feasible to travel on BA4600 (JL44) to HND the night before?
Unfortunately not.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
I used to do this route every month for many years. My routine was to get up extra early for a couple of days before leaving and then once on the aircraft adjust my watch to Japanese time immediately after the first meal and then go to sleep. As tempting as it sometimes is to load up on booze, I found that the best I ever felt was on flights where I had no alcohol at all (but about a litre of water on that flight). I also took 5mg of melatonin after the meal service on the aircraft and then again at bedtime in Tokyo. It is available over the counter in the US (and elsewhere) but I think not in the UK, and I found it to be very effective.

Then I used to have a quick shower (either at hotel or company apartment) and change of clothes before heading straight to work. However hard I tried I always hit a wall about 15:30 Japan time, but once I had pushed through that I was pretty OK. I also generally found that the first night's sleep was better than the second, but after that settled in quite well.

Hope that helps - but I'm afraid in my experience there's no infallible cure!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
If you don't have time for a shower at hotel, the public showers at Narita can be very useful. I used to use them a lot when I arrived on the BA5.

Good place to change clothes and refresh a bit before heading into Tokyo.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For dealing with jet-lag on flights to NRT/HND:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ay-flight.html
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Zoplicone to force sleep early in flight. For me no residual effects in the morning. Good for 1-2 nights at destination. Half pill.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Zoplicone to force sleep early in flight. For me no residual effects in the morning. Good for 1-2 nights at destination. Half pill.
I take the same half pill on board to sleep and limit the booze so I get quality sleep. The key for early landings (PVG/PEK/ICN/NRT/HND) is to have a busy-ish first afternoon. If you can get 4 plus hours on board and make it through to the following evening at the destination, you might just pull it off. I suffer with jet lag nearly every time and tend to fly overnight into HKG which is better for me.

I tend to sleep ok the first night and wake at 4-5am, and then it gets a little better.

I actually try to get a day flight back, and although very boring, by the time I get home at 9am I sleep for 10 hours.

Jet lag is an occupational pain in the ... for me given I go to Asia every 6 weeks or so.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
once on the aircraft adjust my watch to Japanese time immediately after the first meal and then go to sleep.
This ^^ I did this trip 5x last year and this is what helped me most - albeit I change my watch when I get on. Forget what time is midnight in the UK, by the time meal service is done it is getting on for midnight in TYO so go to sleep Melatonin also works for me, on top of a couple of drinks. Still have long enough of a flight for any effects to wear off and wake up at breakfast time. First day is not exactly a breeze but make it through and you'll want to sleep naturally by the time you've finished in the office for the day, which does make the rest of the week a lot more manageable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.