Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA31 Cancelled 24 January

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite

BA31 cancelled on 24 January and presumably BA32 on 25 January as a consequence of the MIA accident with the A380. No availability on BA27 on 24 January except in Y. GGL unable to book me into any other airline, and also quoting no Business availability on CX that night. Offered rebooking on Saturday flight but no good as returning from VIE so rebooked on the following night's flight, a full 24 hours after.
Question is why couldn't they replace it with a 777 or a 747 and at least take the majority of the PX. Are BA now so short of planes there are no replacements on LH that go tech?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by philthegreek
BA31 cancelled on 24 January and presumably BA32 on 25 January as a consequence of the MIA accident with the A380. No availability on BA27 on 24 January except in Y. GGL unable to book me into any other airline, and also quoting no Business availability on CX that night. Offered rebooking on Saturday flight but no good as returning from VIE so rebooked on the following night's flight, a full 24 hours after.
Question is why couldn't they replace it with a 777 or a 747 and at least take the majority of the PX. Are BA now so short of planes there are no replacements on LH that go tech?
Yes, also one 777 down from Las Vegas, I believe that's why they had to extend the 747 with old First.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Because it's not as simple as just substituting an aircraft of a different type. Crewing is an issue, too, as demonstrated by yesterday's knock-on effect on IAD: http://www.thebasource.com/british-a...gton-rotation/.

It also looks like there have been a lot of AOG or otherwise out-of-place aircraft recently (including the 747 that "rested" at PHX for a week), so there may have been some catching up to do anyway even before the MIA incident.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Qatar are selling seats on QR2 and then QR816 leaving LHR on 24th.

Might be worth another call
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Why did GGL say they were unable to rebook you on another airline?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Just tried GGL now with the QR suggestion and the operator checked.
Stated that unable to rebook onto a OW unless the cancellation was less than 24 hours. In these circumstances could only rebook onto BA. So no joy and will have a 24 hour delay to my flight.
And I suppose the exceptional circumstances argument can be made so denying any EC261 compensation.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I suppose the exceptional circumstances argument can be made so denying any EC261 compensation.
EC261 should apply. It probably applies to the MIA flight too, depending who did what exactly.

(This is the A380 service from LHR to HKG, for the benefit of those who haven't memorised the timetable).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:14 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Or on the BA33 via KUL and then CX724/BA4564 still showing seats in CW.

Stated that unable to rebook onto a OW unless the cancellation was less than 24 hours. In these circumstances could only rebook onto BA. So no joy and will have a 24 hour delay to my flight.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
That cannot be right?? So if the delay to the flight less than 24 hours, they wont rebook you onto an OA, but if it was 25 they would have no problem?

That is not acceptable. I would probably asking on the phone, "What are you even saying right now?". I would ask for a supervisor. Surely that cannot be BA policy? I personally have been rerouted onto QF when my DXB flight was delayed by 4 hours that would cause me to misconx to a connecting flight.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
This isn't an exceptional circumstance. Technical problems don't count as exceptional.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:10 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

Any other airline in the OW network would try and get you out if you were one of their top customers. But no BA have to piss customers off with their usual IRROPs nonsense.

Vote with your feet.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How much is the QR ticket. You are, of course, entitled to a full refund of your BA ticket. If the price of the QR ticket is anywhere near the BA ticket, simply cancel for the refund and purchase on QR.

You are our the float on the BA ticket, but that may not be a big deal given current interest rates.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dutch_122
Or on the BA33 via KUL and then CX724/BA4564 still showing seats in CW.
I did try this with GGL but as it was not all BA, no chance
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:50 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Is it worth flying to MCO or TPA from LGW?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Probably not if you're trying to get to London from Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.