Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA automatically checking you in and emailing boarding pass

BA automatically checking you in and emailing boarding pass

Old Jan 19, 16, 2:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 6,227
BA automatically checking you in and emailing boarding pass

This morning I received my boarding pass via email 6 hours before my Ex LHR EU flight with the advice.

Dear Customer,

We have completed check-in for you, so all you need to do now is print the attached boarding pass.

I didn't check in. Someone/an automated process at BA checked me in.

Means I lose the chance to change seat at the airport and flexibility options for the ticket are reduced.

Has anyone else seen this? It's a first for me.
Aus_Mal is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 2:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 524
LHR auto check in trial..for selected flights from T5..passengers who have not checked in by 6hrs before departure will be checked in automatically by BA system and B pass will be emailed to them.
cbagent is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 2:51 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,817
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
This morning I received my boarding pass via email 6 hours before my Ex LHR EU flight with the advice.

Dear Customer,

We have completed check-in for you, so all you need to do now is print the attached boarding pass.

I didn't check in. Someone/an automated process at BA checked me in.

Means I lose the chance to change seat at the airport and flexibility options for the ticket are reduced.

Has anyone else seen this? It's a first for me.
Sounds like the dreaded air France auto check in. I think other airlines do the same now. Was it a hbo fare I which case you were not supposed to have a chance to change seats anyway (the machine is just a loophole).
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 2:57 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
This morning I received my boarding pass via email 6 hours before my Ex LHR EU flight with the advice.

Dear Customer,

We have completed check-in for you, so all you need to do now is print the attached boarding pass.

I didn't check in. Someone/an automated process at BA checked me in.

Means I lose the chance to change seat at the airport and flexibility options for the ticket are reduced.

Has anyone else seen this? It's a first for me.
As I understand it you can call and ask to be 'off-loaded', then you can complete OLCI yourself.
LionRed is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:06 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 6,227
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Sounds like the dreaded air France auto check in. I think other airlines do the same now. Was it a hbo fare I which case you were not supposed to have a chance to change seats anyway (the machine is just a loophole).
Cheap economy. Not HBO. Quite annoyed really. That coupled with the checkin stafer claiming they couldn't check my bag through to my final destination (separate ticket but OW airline) really is annoying.
Aus_Mal is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:08 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 6,227
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
As I understand it you can call and ask to be 'off-loaded', then you can complete OLCI yourself.
But why should I have to, so that I can use the flexibility built into my ticket re changing seat at airport checkin via kiosks? Also makes refunding tickets more difficult if I don't want to fly.
Aus_Mal is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
... That coupled with the checkin stafer claiming they couldn't check my bag through to my final destination (separate ticket but OW airline) really is annoying.
If the connection is MCT compliant, BA's openly published policy is to through check bags on separate tickets, BA to OW.

Only if you feel like it, you could inform customer services of the error, in the hope that the policy is correctly followed in the future.

Out of interest, and if you don't mind, where was the connection and to which OW?
rjn21 is online now  
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wolverhampton
Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Posts: 1,216
So whats the disadvantage of this really? I assume with me, without a printer to hand, I can just walk up to the check in desk and get a printout of the boarding pass? Can those change my seat for me?

Was it Shorthaul or Longhaul?
Smid is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:42 am
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
Originally Posted by rjn21 View Post
If the connection is MCT compliant, BA's openly published policy is to through check bags on separate tickets, BA to OW.

Only if you feel like it, you could inform customer services of the error, in the hope that the policy is correctly followed in the future.

Out of interest, and if you don't mind, where was the connection and to which OW?
Just to add for reference here is the relevant published policy on ba.com stating BA will check through bags on to a separate ticket as long as the connecting flight is on BA or other oneworld carrier.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...on/checking-in

See under "Checking in baggage"
Baggage will normally be checked to your final destination, provided your journey is on the same ticket. However, if you hold separate tickets for the flights in your journey, we will only through check your baggage to your final destination if the connecting flights are operated by us or by another oneworld airline.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:38 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 6,227
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
So whats the disadvantage of this really? I assume with me, without a printer to hand, I can just walk up to the check in desk and get a printout of the boarding pass? Can those change my seat for me?

Was it Shorthaul or Longhaul?
You haven't read my comments. Please go through my posts again.
Aus_Mal is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:43 am
  #11  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,703
I've not seen this yet, I'm not one to OLCI at the first opportunity so I'll doubtless get it at some point. But I wonder if there is a workaround: if you OLCI upfront, but do not print the boarding pass, the system will have you as checked in and the SSCI machines will still allow you to move elsewhere. By "print", I also mean App BP Download, Save, Fax and Email as well.

Now it may be that they will email the BP anyway, so that workaround won't work, but my suspicion is the test is simply "checked in, yes or no".

The overwhelming reason for not through checking luggage is inability to find the flight details on their computer. If you have a post it note with the flight number, routing, ticket number, your name and locator, that should normally be OK. The baggage system is fairly dumb but if you have those details the agent should be happy to enter them in anyway, regardless of their DCS system limitations. The second most common reason for refusal is if the connection is either below MCT or believed to be so.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal and Dublin
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,679
BA automatically checking you in and emailing boarding pass

Why for for does having the boarding pass printed prevent you from changing seats at the airport? I'm not sure I've done it on BA but certainly I've changed seats at kiosks, checkin desks, and even gates on other airlines, never a problem.

the main problem I see is that there won't be many seats left if they've checked everyone in already. In fact surely the last minute business purchasers must be crying bloody murder over this.
zkzkz is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:57 am
  #13  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,703
Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
Why for for does having the boarding pass printed prevent you from changing seats at the airport? I'm not sure I've done it on BA but certainly I've changed seats at kiosks, checkin desks, and even gates on other airlines, never a problem.
Definitely doesn't work on SSCI on BA, I'm afraid, if you have printed (etc). There aren't that many SSCI machines around now either, a lot of places don't have them (list in the HBO thread). You can of course get your seat changed at the desk / lounge, but without access to the seating plan that would be less than an optimum solution.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 4:59 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,788
Sounds very annoying. It may help the casual holidaymaker who doesn’t have constant internet access, but comes with a fair amount of collateral damage for those of us who like to have control of our bookings.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 5:57 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Posts: 1,383
Seems a bit odd to me, surely all these people need offloading if they no show? You'd think for flight management / clearing standby etc it'd be better to have a more accurate prediction of likely no shows. Also if you didn't have Internet access to check in you probably don't have anyway to print a boarding pass 6 hrs prior....

I know easyjet etc allow boarding pass printing way in advance, but their operation is a lot more simple

For me personally would be annoying on a route like AMS where I might not check in if my day starts running late and I need to do change to a later flight, would have to call and get them to get me offloaded to make a change as the current IT stands
sammyg901 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: