FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold Guest List beginner's guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1739436-gold-guest-list-beginners-guide.html)

golfmad Apr 5, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 30968706)
Is the 7K mark 1xGUF2 or 2xGUF1? Or is there a choice?

It's all in post number 1 of this thread! Which co-incidentally is the same answer I suggested to you in post 1469 a few weeks ago to another question you posed in this thread. May I respectfully suggest you have a quick read through it?

Beyond 5,000 tier points

GGL earn extra GUFs based on tier points, beyond the 1 GUF2 and 2 GUF1 that are earned by Gold and GGL members at 2,500 and 3,500 TP, respectively

An additional joker/GGL redemption is earned at 6,000 TP.

At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 TP, you can choose one of the following:
  • 2 GUF1
  • Another GGL redemption (joker)
  • 50,000 Avios

mmxbreaks Apr 5, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 30968724)
It's all in post number 1 of this thread! Which co-incidentally is the same answer I suggested to you in post 1469 a few weeks ago to another question you posed in this thread. May I respectfully suggest you have a quick read through it?

Beyond 5,000 tier points

GGL earn extra GUFs based on tier points, beyond the 1 GUF2 and 2 GUF1 that are earned by Gold and GGL members at 2,500 and 3,500 TP, respectively

An additional joker/GGL redemption is earned at 6,000 TP.

At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 TP, you can choose one of the following:
  • 2 GUF1
  • Another GGL redemption (joker)
  • 50,000 Avios

Well, yes, but 1. I searched and got nothing of use in return and 2. I'm asking for clarity as the BA site says GUF2...

"As you continue to fly with us, the annual Tier Points you earn unlock more rewards for you to enjoy. At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 Tier Points, you can choose one of the following:
  • treat yourself and a guest to a cabin upgrade with an Upgrade Voucher for two
  • choose another Gold Guest List Redemption for you and four companions
  • enjoy an incredible 50,000 bonus Avios"
Really just asking for clarity from people who've made such a request before I phone to request for myself. I've never done so before and can't decide what's most sensible for me to pick is all.

golfmad Apr 5, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 30969292)
Well, yes, but 1. I searched and got nothing of use in return and 2. I'm asking for clarity as the BA site says GUF2...

"As you continue to fly with us, the annual Tier Points you earn unlock more rewards for you to enjoy. At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 Tier Points, you can choose one of the following:
  • treat yourself and a guest to a cabin upgrade with an Upgrade Voucher for two
  • choose another Gold Guest List Redemption for you and four companions
  • enjoy an incredible 50,000 bonus Avios"
Really just asking for clarity from people who've made such a request before I phone to request for myself. I've never done so before and can't decide what's most sensible for me to pick is all.

You will receive 2 GUF1s. I suspect the BA site shows the original information dating back before there were GUF1s. In the past there were only GUF2s.

mmxbreaks Apr 5, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 30969298)
You will receive 2 GUF1s. I suspect the BA site shows the original information dating back before there were GUF1s. In the past there were only GUF2s.

That's good to know, thanks. Sounds better value than the GUF2 to me.

tedhl Apr 8, 2019 5:38 am

actually both are listed as options when I passed 7k a couple of months ago (these options copied and pasted from the email):
Gold Upgrade for Two voucher
Two Gold Upgrade for One vouchers
Gold Guest List Redemption for you and 3 others
50,000 Avios Bonus to take you even further

but somehow don't seem to have received the email for passing 8k a month ago. just emailed them to ask.

but in fact one other question I have on the above: isn't GGL redemption (ie Joker) valid for 5 people? why it said for me + 3 others above?

corporate-wage-slave Apr 8, 2019 7:37 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 30969292)

The Avios won't expire (assuming you keep flying at least) and though there is some leeway on extending GUFs nevertheless they do expire eventually. Moreover there is no point asking for GUFs if you don't get 50k Avios worth of travel out of them, perhaps because you are often already in the top offered cabin. So unless you have big gaps in your schedule, and if you are in doubt, I would tend to suggest the Avios.

EGLK FLYER Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am

I’ve just reached GGL and am trying to use my 2 jokers for this year.

With regard to getting upgrade the OP say this if fare bucket not available....

‘though the GGL team can request additional seats on your behalf in some circumstance’. Does anyone know what these ‘circumstances’ would be?

The flight I’m looking to upgrade 2 pax show 3 seats in First on the BA app yet EF shows F1 A1. And the agent has, probably quite rightly, said that the fare bucket (A?) is not available. So is this a situation when these ‘circumstances’ might apply?

thanks

BA6501 Apr 11, 2019 10:41 am

You would want to check UK POS on EF.

EGLK FLYER Apr 11, 2019 10:50 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 30989413)

Thanks. No idea where that is but I’ll look

ThatT1Feeling Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER (Post 30989412)
<snip> So is this a situation when these ‘circumstances’ might apply?

thanks

I would doubt it - I'm not sure what about your particular situation would warrant it as you've described it. If BA thinks that they can sell the seats for cash then they're unlikely to release them for redemptions. I've always had to have the right fare buckets available on the flights I wanted - but to be fair both times there has been an issue, I have been able to go on other flights on the same day.

You can always call the GGL team to ask, but you may need to be prepared to go on another flight on the same day or a day either side.

Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER (Post 30989452)

Thanks. No idea where that is but I’ll look

In Expertflyer, when you go to the particular flight you want, you're asked in a dropdown whether you are using UK or US availability - towards the bottom of the search page. If you select UK it will confirm the F and A availability numbers.

GinFizz Apr 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 30989413)

Is this the default POS for all reservations made through a GGL agent?

I plan to use a GUF1 for a ICN-LHR-CPH (T/K) / CPH-LHR-PEK (J/I) booking, to upgrade the legs to I/I/(J)/A. There is availability on the my preferred travel dates for both the underlying fare and upgraded reservation using a SEL (Seoul) POS (confirmed though ITA-Matrix and the BA website, as Expert Flyer doesn't show SEL/ICN POS as an option), but not using a UK POS.

Would this be different if I book the T/K // I/J fare online (hence using the default SEL/ICN point of sale as the starting point of the journey) - and then call up to have the GUF1 applied? (would they then also use the SEL POS?)

EDIT: PS: Best to ignore the above as I was clearly having a "don't post before the first coffee of the day" moment, and mixing up TA upgrades and upgrades for bookings made directly through BA using where the only options are to use standard reward availability or use a joker to book into "D" class.

GinFizz Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm

So my wife has decided she actually wants a Gold card (not least as she cannot get the BA app to work on her Iphone) rather than just having Gold status. The problem I guess is that although she qualified for Gold last year, she only did this after I gifted her Gold status - so she jumped straight from Blue to "gifted-Gold".

I (incorrectly) assumed she would receive a card package as her status changed - but when I look now at the "Executive Club Items" there is no option to resend membership card, and the only options that show are those for a Blue member (only able to download/email a copy of the card). I assume that a quick phone call should be able to fix this - but if anyone has experience to the contract it would be good to know this.

golfmad Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by GinFizz (Post 31012225)
So my wife has decided she actually wants a Gold card (not least as she cannot get the BA app to work on her Iphone) rather than just having Gold status. The problem I guess is that although she qualified for Gold last year, she only did this after I gifted her Gold status - so she jumped straight from Blue to "gifted-Gold".

I (incorrectly) assumed she would receive a card package as her status changed - but when I look now at the "Executive Club Items" there is no option to resend membership card, and the only options that show are those for a Blue member (only able to download/email a copy of the card). I assume that a quick phone call should be able to fix this - but if anyone has experience to the contract it would be good to know this.

My wife is Gold by virtue of a gifted card. She has received the physical card each year. I just logged into her account to check what options she has which includes the ability to request a Replacement Executive Club Gold Card. If your wife doesn't have that option then I suggest you call the GGL team and they will be able to request it for her. It might just be easier to resolve the problem with the app on her iPhone though?

GinFizz Apr 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31012370)
My wife is Gold by virtue of a gifted card. She has received the physical card each year. I just logged into her account to check what options she has which includes the ability to request a Replacement Executive Club Gold Card. If your wife doesn't have that option then I suggest you call the GGL team and they will be able to request it for her.

Thanks very much for the reply - this is very helpful. Perhaps in your case your wife was gifted the card after she already had either Bronze or Silver status (to trigger the sending of a card)? I'll call in any case and ask to get this fixed, as I am a nominee on her account and need also to request my new Hilton Diamond status ...

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31012370)
It might just be easier to resolve the problem with the app on her iPhone though?

Given that the problem with her iPhone is that she cannot update to the required iOS version (due to a combination of factors including some China-specific issues and not being able to login to her Apple account), I think resolving the iPhone app will ultimately be sorted by buying a new Android phone :)

jazzyjeff Apr 22, 2019 4:13 am

On Friday I was flying in First Class and wanted to bring two guests into the CCR with me. It was my understanding that I could do this on the basis of one guest for First Class and one for GGL/CCR card.

The agent on the desk informed me that I could only bring one guest, as it was either First or CCR card and it was only Premiers that were allowed two guests.

I emailed the GGL team and they confirmed that the agent was indeed correct.

Is is this a recent change or has this always been the case?