Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios on AA domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Using Avios on AA domestic flights

I am trying to use Avios for a domestic AA flight.

The routing is EWR-SLC via CLT in F.

On the AA site it shows it would cost 25,000 AA miles but on the BA site it shows it would be 58,000 Avios points.

Can someone explain the reason for such a significant difference? I though 1 Avios is equivalent to 1 AA mile. For example, when booking a 1 way transatlantic J seat Avios would be 50,000 point and AA miles would be the same.

Why then the significant difference on the domestic flight?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jfs5
Can someone explain the reason for such a significant difference? I though 1 Avios is equivalent to 1 AA mile. For example, when booking a 1 way transatlantic J seat Avios would be 50,000 point and AA miles would be the same.
There is no equivalence. They are two different currencies and not convertible into each other, so the price in one currency may be very different from the price in another currency.

To take another example, try pricing a short US domestic award in AA miles and then in Avios.

If you find a route /cabin combination on which the prices happen to be the same in both currencies, that's just coincidence.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
1 avios does not equal 1 AA mile. They are different currencies in different schemes which have different priced points for reward flights. Therefore the two are really not comparable like that.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:35 am

Indeed the reverse is true in some situations, where the Avios cost of a flight looks minuscule compared to what AAs own elites have to fork out.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:37 am

AA miles and Avios are different currencies. If you want the AA 'price' you would need to pay with AA miles
Avios flights are prices by sector so you would be paying for EWR-CLT (18,000 Avios for one way in F) and CLT-SLC (40,000 Avios in F) total 58,000 for one way in F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.