Wiki Posts
Search

Riddle me this ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Riddle me this ?

As CX on F is so much better than BA F why is LHR/HKG on last minute avios bookings usually available on CX F but not on BA ?
But HKG/LHR the reverse is true.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:36 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
BA wants to instil the belief that if you want F [on their planes], you need to pay for it, whereas CX just wants to leave with planes as full as possible no matter where the source of revenue comes.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
Amex 2-4-1 use by frequent UK fliers also likely causes significantly more demand for the BA seats.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattking2000
BA wants to instil the belief that if you want F [on their planes], you need to pay for it, whereas CX just wants to leave with planes as full as possible no matter where the source of revenue comes.
So like I said why do CX not do the same from HKG but last minute availability is available on BA.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blenz101
Amex 2-4-1 use by frequent UK fliers also likely causes significantly more demand for the BA seats.
Ok that makes sense but then why is there last minute availability from HKG on BA & not on CX ?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Riddle me this ?

May also have something to do with the ?5 flights a day on CX vs 2 on BA

Ah - just re-read that, no idea why availability seems higher on reciprocal routes between the two airlines...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:08 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Demographics?

Desirability of a particular carrier on night vs. day flights?

The CCR/CX's ground handling is that good?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Maybe flight timing having an effect on demand? BA's HKG-LHR flights are both around 23:30, so maybe fewer people are interested in F since they would likely sleep soon after take off.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
Originally Posted by worldflyer007
Ok that makes sense but then why is there last minute availability from HKG on BA & not on CX ?
BA may see it as a marketing opportunity to get OW HGK frequent fliers onto its services by making seats available.

Also ex-HKG any seat released will always at least return the full value of the Avios or other OW mileage.

Plus. if here in the UK there was always a good chance of a reward seat F coming up to HKG last minute and at the usual last minute availability coming back it would reduce the demand for paid seats. From the home market the reward seats are always going to be more tightly controlled.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As CX on F is so much better than BA F
Probably shows outside of Flyertalk nobody really cares that much.

BA's far superior reward programme might have something to do with it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Shirley, you can't be serious? It is a well known fact on FT that the rest of the world is as knowledgeable as the denizens of this board. That's why the F lounge is so full all the time. Apart from when I'm there but what do I know?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
They will after they fly.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Shirley, you can't be serious? It is a well known fact on FT that the rest of the world is as knowledgeable as the denizens of this board. That's why the F lounge is so full all the time. Apart from when I'm there but what do I know?
LOL
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:12 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
CX are much more likely to push their own diamond and top 1% frequent flyer up to unsold seats in F even if business isn't oversold. They open up last minute seats for upgrades.

It's much harder and more expensive for CX fliers to get up to that level. Cheap sale fares in premium cabins are rare, they don't status match, they don't do a buy business get a one way upgrade to first and there's none of this running to HNL and back nonsense.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
They will after they fly.
Exactly. Nobody's going to miss that - Flyertalker or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.