Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
What a brilliant guide- so much work must have been put into this, so thank you KARFA!

I would also just say that Registered Travellers can also use the e-gate options, in addition to UK/EU citizens 18+ with a biometric passport.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Amazing! Someone make it a wiki. Now we know what patent lawyers do between Christmas and New Year! ;-)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You are lucky I had already reserved all the posts I needed. Had you disrupted my posts for the guide I would have been displeased
I had the chance at reserved 6 but I didn't want to ruin all your hard work!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calum
I had the chance at reserved 6 but I didn't want to ruin all your hard work!
Ha. As you probaly know you can only do one post every 30 seconds so I was originally going to wait until the middle of the night UK time to post to limit the oportunity for someone to post in the middle of my 10. Anyway, as I have finished I couldn't bother waiting so went ahead now.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA0197
What a brilliant guide- so much work must have been put into this, so thank you KARFA!

I would also just say that Registered Travellers can also use the e-gate options, in addition to UK/EU citizens 18+ with a biometric passport.
Thanks. Also thanks for the information on Resgistered Travellers, this has been added to the relevant posts.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snuffi
Amazing! Someone make it a wiki. Now we know what patent lawyers do between Christmas and New Year! ;-)
Ha, well I am in OGG for 6 nights so need to occupy myself. Was originally coming out here with Jamier45 but he had had to cancel due to an unexpected deployment.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
One other question I had for which you may know the answer. Could you do this when arriving at T5B? When you ask the HAL staff person in T5B to summon the airside bus do you need to show a boarding pass or some proof of an onward connection or can you just say I need to connect to T2/3/4?
You don't need a boarding pass at T5B, no - just ask for the bus for T2. As with T3, the airline transfer desks are just after security.....

Just PM'd you a load of info on the e-gate access, just to prevent anyone else mentioning the Swiss cheese!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
A young relative of mine aged 12 was travelling solo EDI to LHR and I specifically looked on the internet for something like this but there was nothing, so this fills that much needed gap and so much more besides. It really is excellent. For that trip I did a couple of paras myself, and then whilst delayed in EDI myself did a photo guide for him from security to the gate, which obviously at Edinburgh is very easy, but this is a whole different level and as many have said, a gigantic piece of work. Enjoy Hawaii now that you have finished 'working'!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
Thanks for all of this information - makes most of the process very clear.

Quick query - re fast track security access after you arrive INT with a UK connection J or above.

Does it still exist? And if I exit landside and then re-enter airside - does that benefit still apply or does it depend on what class your dom ticket is in? My Dom ticket on an F redemption going out apparently gives me access to the galleries lounge (selling class U) so would that give FT anyway?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Impressive work KARFA. ^ ^ ^
Thank you so much for putting this together. I have added a widget to the Forum Dashboard that points to this thread.

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Hands Mensing
Quick query - re fast track security access after you arrive INT with a UK connection J or above.

Does it still exist? And if I exit landside and then re-enter airside - does that benefit still apply or does it depend on what class your dom ticket is in? My Dom ticket on an F redemption going out apparently gives me access to the galleries lounge (selling class U) so would that give FT anyway?
There's no Fast Track any more on UK/Ireland Flight Connections. If you are late or get met by Special Services, you may be given an Orange Express Connections label, which will allow you to queue jump. So if you have more than 45 minutes or more until the Domestic, you really ought to go via the e-gates at the UK Border, if you have access. You would have access to Fast Track from landside in that scenario, North would be fastest but South isn't bad either these days, and certainly faster than Flight Connections before 15:00 hrs.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's no Fast Track any more on UK/Ireland Flight Connections. If you are late or get met by Special Services, you may be given an Orange Express Connections label, which will allow you to queue jump. So if you have more than 45 minutes or more until the Domestic, you really ought to go via the e-gates at the UK Border, if you have access. You would have access to Fast Track from landside in that scenario, North would be fastest but South isn't bad either these days, and certainly faster than Flight Connections before 15:00 hrs.
CWS,

Thanks - I do have more than 45 mins - made sure I didn't get booked on the first flight of the day up North, hopefully have 2 hours plus, so I'll go landside this time, last time I went through FCC and then security it was a zoo. Thanks as well for your in depth guides to the walkways as used them there and back to C last time I was through.

HM
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
great piece of work

I may have missed it but it might be worth including a link to the HAL flight connections tool

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Excellent work and much appreciated.

One additional piece of info: Last year, corporate-wage-slave told me about the Heathrow app for smartphones. I downloaded it immediately and started testing it.

You can add your departing flight into the Heathrow app about 12 hours before departure and set a notification for the departure gate. Thus, when they announce a departure gate, your smartphone bings and you can start moving towards the gate. This beats sitting in the main departure lounge or BA lounge with eyes glued to the TV monitors. It's wise to keep an eye on the monitors, anyway, but the bing from the smartphone notification is another tool.

The Heathrow app has other interesting features, but the gate notification is the most useful to me. I found it in the iTunes app store by typing Heathrow in the search box. It is a light purple icon.

I invite clarification or correction as necessary. Please.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
great piece of work

I may have missed it but it might be worth including a link to the HAL flight connections tool

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections
Good idea, I will add a link.

Originally Posted by Hands Mensing
Thanks for all of this information - makes most of the process very clear.

Thanks
As noted by cws the fast track channel at FCC for connections to UK/DUB flights is closed and has been since mid 2014 I think. The channel is physically still there but now has a tensa barrrier across it. With the new e-passport gates I don't bother going via the FCC route these days when connecting on to a UK/DUB flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.