Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre Priority Boarding or Super Priority Boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold

Has it become usual that those who have omitted to check in luggage prior to security now get super priority boarding as an incentive to check it in at the gate. I'm surprised that this is expected to improve boarding. Might it not, if implemented widely, not simply encourage people to hang onto bags until the last possible and most inefficient time before actual boarding commences.

There maybe trouble ahead.....
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
If these people are boarded ahead of me when I'm holding a CE ticket with GGL status, there will be some compo Avios tossed around, I'll tell you that much. Call me DYKWIA if you want, but being first on is one of the things I pay for and earn status for.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I can't say I am particularly fussed at all as a BA GGL/CCR who rarely fly down the back (only once in ET in the last 12 months, all other BA short haul flights except for two domestic flights have been in CE) that people who have volunteered to check their cabin bag in at the gate are offered boarding earlier than me. In fact I'm pleased to see hand luggage issues being proactively managed this way.

The only reason why I want to board early is to make sure my cabin bag doesn't end up in the hold. Therefore, if those people are not taking up the overhead locker space (this being the key - not taking up the overhead locker space even if they still have their small bag), I don't care that they board before me. I'd rather board last if it weren't for the overhead locker space issues.

In addition they will help to avoid delays by reducing the last-minute hold-loading of bags so they are contributing so they probably do need some incentive to encourage them. It may well help the OTP and I'm all for it. The fewer the pieces that need to be stowed (and/or hold-loaded at the last minute) the faster the boarding will happen and the less stress will be experienced by those who may end up turning up late-ish.

However, I suppose BA do need to make sure that it balances everyone's interest - some "status" members may well be very annoyed about those without (or with lower) "status" is allowed to board before them.

It's worth remembering though that reduced risk of delay is likely to help everyone, including those who may find their 'de-prioritisation' offensive, or that it may help those offended from having to have their bag gate checked if they turn up late-ish.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 19, 2015 at 3:27 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
its a tactic used by many airlines. Its nothing to do with forgetting to check bags as I suspect you well know.

I have volunteered in the past to check my perfectly acceptable hand luggage to help ensure all 150+ of us get away on time. a 10 minute delay for me at the other end can sometimes prevent a 20 minute delay for everyone.

it is good when the airline acknowledges that
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by BA4EVER
If these people are boarded ahead of me when I'm holding a CE ticket with GGL status, there will be some compo Avios tossed around, I'll tell you that much. Call me DYKWIA if you want, but being first on is one of the things I pay for and earn status for.

if you want to be first, travel with a toddler
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
AA do this, and I think they allow you to board in a higher boarding group if you gat check a bag. I think you board in group 1
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Super priority boarding if you put carry-ons into hold at the gate; then the ever long priority line...
(AA do this but US military and First class take precedence)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if you want to be first, travel with a toddler
Or be on crutches (recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon). I experienced this first hand a few weeks ago. I was allowed through the gate to the seats just behind with another passenger who was in a wheelchair. They then made the announcement asking for people to check in bags. Those of us with mobility issues were allowed on board first with the people who had checked in luggage just behind.

It will be interesting to see how I get on with my crutches on my forthcoming TP run to HNL.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL
Honestly, I don't mind if it is over elites, but not over premium cabins, (though I do get the point that if they have no bags to stow, then what's the rush.)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't mind it either. The key proviso, however, is that they check in all bags that would go into a locker, so when they do board they go straight to their seat, park their mini bag under the seat, and then sit down. This would make boarding for everyone a very good experience.

On some other airlines which do this, they actually close the overhead bins at that stage in the boarding, then when the pre-boards are done they open them. Anyone reaching upwards can be zapped/shouted at accordingly.

I certainly think it is worth trying, but at this time of year, given the ever thicker winter coats that people have these days, it's going to be a certain amount of shuffling. You know one thing that I think would really help? Play on the overhead videos a little sequence showing people how to pack the overheads with consideration for other passengers. Even on my LCY services yesterday (with some of the best regular travellers in the business) people were storing their stuff in highly inefficient ways (e.g. Christmas presents on the left, duty free bag on right, coat somewhere else - when if the box was underneath, duty free above, coat folded into quarters on top then the space used would be halved).

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 19, 2015 at 3:21 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by BA4EVER
Honestly, I don't mind if it is over elites, but not over premium cabins, (though I do get the point that if they have no bags to stow, then what's the rush.)
Do you have the same objection to people travelling with toddlers boarding before premium cabins? Have you successfully claimed compo AVOIS as a result?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Marcusm
Has it become usual that those who have omitted to check in luggage prior to security now get super priority boarding as an incentive to check it in at the gate. I'm surprised that this is expected to improve boarding. Might it not, if implemented widely, not simply encourage people to hang onto bags until the last possible and most inefficient time before actual boarding commences.

There maybe trouble ahead.....
Why? I'm GGL too and often (not always) in premium classes. If people with hand luggage that would be legitimate choose to part with it voluntarily instead of a 'first come first served' model of which legitimate hand luggage will have to be put on hold, I have no issue with them getting priority boarding to thank them for their 'sacrifice'.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I mentioned this on the new boarding process thread - the flight to Glasgow last week they were doing the pre-boarding for people checking in hand baggage. I personally think this is a good proactive exercise, and on the two flights I've been on when they have done this we departed on time. However, I cannot remember the last time we were delayed due to hand baggage issues.

Also, there were 17 people (of the 50 plus who took the offer) who had 3 items of hand baggage. You could see them checking in one item and boarding with two - this does nothing to solve the problem.

If policed correctly it is a good step forward, if not it is just another benefit which will be exploited by the p^*$ takers.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Why? I'm GGL too and often (not always) in premium classes. If people with hand luggage that would be legitimate choose to part with it voluntarily instead of a 'first come first served' model of which legitimate hand luggage will have to be put on hold, I have no issue with them getting priority boarding to thank them for their 'sacrifice'.
I was thinking more along the lines of passengers choosing HBO cares and then taking along an excessively large bag safe in the knowledge that they will not only get a free offer to carry the bag in the hold but also priority use of the overheads for any other items.

There was no "toddler" advance boarding (or reduced mobility) and it certainly was before Club cabin passengers and any type of "elite" you could choose. Needless to say, many of the club overheads were prestocked with crew baggage - given that this is a necessity for each sector why are the crew not given their own nice safe area for it.
One of the features was a number of people of reduced mobility boarded very near the end, two of them in significant discomfort one of whom chose to grab my shoulder for balance. It was a grand flight all in all.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Marcusm
I was thinking more along the lines of passengers choosing HBO cares and then taking along an excessively large bag safe in the knowledge that they will not only get a free offer to carry the bag in the hold but also priority use of the overheads for any other items.
That is exactly what happens now on LX "Choice" fares. I can now knowingly book a "Lite" (no checked baggage) fare, knowing full well that if I get pulled at the gate for either having an item too large or too many items of luggage, my bag will be gate checked for free. I pack for extended trips this way, fully expecting to checking my luggage, albeit for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.