Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our EX-EU Horror story

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
FrancisA: I think you exaggerate the barriers to entry.

Airlines do not have to be restrained by Bermuda II and bilateral agreements anymore. It's not that capital intensive to lease a fleet of 20 A320s and start a LCC.
I think not.

There are still plenty of places that restrict airlines, usually to protect the national carrier. For instance, South Africa permits no more UK-SA flights by other airlines than are flown by South African based airlines. There are plenty more and fifth freedom options are actually quite unusual.

As for capital requirements, to lease a fleet of aeroplanes requires financial standing. The idea that anyone (presumably with a plausible business plan) would be permitted to start an LCC is just laughable. What finance house would touch them? How many LCCs have started from scratch without substantial capital being held by the founders? Capital requirements must be a major barrier to new entrants. Yet perfect competition requires such no barriers to new market entrants.

However, if we set aside legislative and financial barriers, why are there so few new entrants in what you perceive to be markets suffering abuse by monopolistic players exploiting their positions to charge excessive prices? Why do LH or AF/KLM use discounted indirect routes rather than compete directly on the world's top route LON-NYC?

Capacity at either LHR or JFK cannot be the sole barrier. LON for instances encompasses a number of international airports with surplus capacity and ability to handle transatlantic traffic.

The simple answer is that many have tried and failed. No-one who understands the market would want to enter it.

The reality is the existing airlines led by the AA/BA JV offer a frequency with which no-one else can compete in terms of added value - viewed as price and convenience combined in this market. AA/BA rely on the hub and spoke model to generate the volume of traffic to maintain their current level of service and it is a very successful model.

"There is no need to go any further in seeking an economics-based analyse of the pricing model" is a bolder and more unjustified assertion than any I've made.
In the analysis from which this statement is quoted, I showed that airlines priced at the perceived level that the market would bear rather than marginal cost and that the differences in market willingness to pay higher or lower prices mirrored perceptions of convenience. Since that analysis fully explains the behaviour witnessed in the market being examined, I personally can see no need to introduce further factors into the analysis, when those already identified appear to provide a full and complete explanation for the market's behaviour.

Is there some insight I am missing here?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Certainly technological improvements such as 787 and A350 will increase directs over time? More supply --> more competition --> more directs to achieve cost efficiencies?
Beware of certainty! My sense is that so far, this is mostly used for airlines like BA and QR and others to open routes that would not have been sustainable otherwise and now are... as long as they can still rely on a heavy up feeding!

Bear in mind that on transatlantic for instance, there is hardly anything that will be possible with 788s (A350s are a bit bigger I think) that was not possible with 767s, let alone the 757s that US airlines have used for ages across the pond...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by IcHot
Getting back to the supposed crackdown on ex-EU...

Airlines are making good money, are they not? The ex-EU fares involve more flights and sales. The pricing is complex and dynamic.

So what is the real cost to the airline of the practice of a few folks? I think it would be very difficult to assess because the "loss" to the airline is not simply the difference between fares. There are more variables at work in a competitive environment and for leisure activity.

To harken back to a wise comment earlier in the thread, this is not a binary/ black or white equation. Many of the people who do these sort of complicated travels are enthusiasts who probably make up for some perceived "loss" with greater volume.

There's a tendency in our world to call things a problem and fixate on them out of proportion to reality. Sometimes we end up destroying good in quest of perfection. Isn't that our economic system? We seek to maximise until we make it fail.
I think your analysis is correct and is the reason that airlines are not discouraging ex-EU per se and will never go after every customer who drops a final sector.

However, there are a group of passengers who are clearly and regularly using ex-EU as a way to avoid paying the direct fare in a systematic and abusive way. These are perhaps business travellers who would travel the route and would pay the proper direct fare if this behaviour were prevented.

In the case of these serial abusers, there probably is a loss that action against them would recover, both directly from those targeted and indirectly by discouraging similar behaviour by others in the same position.

The advice on this board has always been, if you drop a final sector once or twice, you won't have any problems; but start doing it very regularly and that might not be the case.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrancisA
I think your analysis is correct and is the reason that airlines are not discouraging ex-EU per se and will never go after every customer who drops a final sector.

However, there are a group of passengers who are clearly and regularly using ex-EU as a way to avoid paying the direct fare in a systematic and abusive way. These are perhaps business travellers who would travel the route and would pay the proper direct fare if this behaviour were prevented.

In the case of these serial abusers, there probably is a loss that action against them would recover, both directly from those targeted and indirectly by discouraging similar behaviour by others in the same position.

The advice on this board has always been, if you drop a final sector once or twice, you won't have any problems; but start doing it very regularly and that might not be the case.
Possibly, but many business travellers are captive and unable to seek unusual routes. I would think slapping the hand of so called "abusers" may not add revenue.

I'm also quite doubtful that this is highly contagious behavior. I still get mocked by people for extra flights that save thousands. There are people who do the maths and there are people who do what they think is normal. Those of us on Flyertalk have all had to defend our complicated activities and failed.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by IcHot
Getting back to the supposed crackdown on ex-EU...

Airlines are making good money, are they not? The ex-EU fares involve more flights and sales. The pricing is complex and dynamic.

So what is the real cost to the airline of the practice of a few folks? I think it would be very difficult to assess because the "loss" to the airline is not simply the difference between fares. There are more variables at work in a competitive environment and for leisure activity.

To harken back to a wise comment earlier in the thread, this is not a binary/ black or white equation. Many of the people who do these sort of complicated travels are enthusiasts who probably make up for some perceived "loss" with greater volume.

There's a tendency in our world to call things a problem and fixate on them out of proportion to reality. Sometimes we end up destroying good in quest of perfection. Isn't that our economic system? We seek to maximise until we make it fail.
Anything that stops airlines from segregating markets and practicing price discrimination is good for consumers. Regardless of whether customers are only casually or serially using this routing.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Anything that stops airlines from segregating markets and practicing price discrimination is good for consumers.
Errr... Can you explain in more detail why you consider that undifferentiated pricing across markets would be good for consumers? Is it not mostly the case that if airlines stopped differentiating pricing between markets there would be some winners and some losers? It's not as if the airline sector made massive profits as it goes and they already operate with extremely high load factors, so in effect, it seems to me that if some people pay less then some others will have to pay more but I am happy to hear where I am thinking wrong...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:11 pm

Airlines have fixed capacity in the short-term too.

Let's say a flight only carries 3 passengers who are willing to pay GBP7, 5 and 3 (unitary elasticity demand curve). BA currently charges GBP5 for the first two to fly direct. The third seat will be unfilled at GBP5 but BA is willing to sell the third seat at ex-EU price of GBP3, thus filling the third seat.

As word of the ex-EU fare spreads around (and BA does not succeed in stopping UK passengers from buying these fares) the second passenger may be tempted to buy the GBP3 ex-EU in lieu of the GBP5 direct.

BA will continue to sell the GBP3 ticket unless it does not meet their marginal costs and they withdraw capacity.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:15 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Anything that stops airlines from segregating markets and practicing price discrimination is good for consumers. Regardless of whether customers are only casually or serially using this routing.
Which consumers benefit if, say, the ex-BGO price of BA to SFO rises to nearer or above the ex-LHR price?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:19 pm

If they can sell the seats at ex-LHR price there will be no ex-BGO price in the first place?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:23 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
If they can sell the seats at ex-LHR price there will be no ex-BGO price in the first place?
so the customers who live in BGO...?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by dsf
so the customers who live in BGO...?
+1. Not to mention that if they do manage to sell the cheaper seat at £5 instead of £3, they may sell the other two (or at least one of them) at £7 instead of £5, and if they cannot sell that cheaper seat at £5, then one of the three seat will remain unsolved and therefore the other two will have to bear the price of that empty seat collectively by paying more, because the whole point of revenue management is that they know that a certain number of people will need to fly anyway, whatever the cost.

It's not as if BA (or anyone else) had one fare from Dublin, one fare from London, etc. they have a multitude of different fares from all those places which vary a lot, and if they limit differentiation by lowering price differences, they will simply get rid of the cheapest fares. Some people (who could only pay that fare anyway) will stop being able to fly altogether while others (who were willing to pay more) will now be sold "bargain" flights for less than they expected and were willing to pay. They will sure be "winners" but the rest will be losers.

In fact, because you stop being able to attract the customers who could only pay the cheaper fares that had been calculated to attract them, you will end up having empty seats, and as some costs are fixed, you will need to converge towards a standard fare that will be substantively higher than the current average, just as when you and I were kids!

In other words, to get back to your example, the third seat could only be filled at £3. If you standardise fares, that seat won't be sold at all any more, and thus the convergence price will have to be £7.50 which is higher than both previous expensive seats (£5 and £7) were sold, or, if £7.50 is too much for passenger no2 who used to pay £5, then maybe two seats will remain unsolved and the convergence standard price will have to be £15, which is more than double what the most expensive seat was going for before.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 24, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines have fixed capacity in the short-term too.

Let's say a flight only carries 3 passengers who are willing to pay GBP7, 5 and 3 (unitary elasticity demand curve). BA currently charges GBP5 for the first two to fly direct. The third seat will be unfilled at GBP5 but BA is willing to sell the third seat at ex-EU price of GBP3, thus filling the third seat.

As word of the ex-EU fare spreads around (and BA does not succeed in stopping UK passengers from buying these fares) the second passenger may be tempted to buy the GBP3 ex-EU in lieu of the GBP5 direct.

BA will continue to sell the GBP3 ticket unless it does not meet their marginal costs and they withdraw capacity.
It is a good point which is why individual flights are often capacity limited based on the network level ("married segment logic") as well as at the fare class level.

It's also why BA is very quietly trying to discourage this behaviour
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by nsx
I don't know why US carriers decided that changing to one-way pricing was in their interest. It can't be 100% due to low cost carriers who priced that way. One-way pricing must be more profitable somehow.
In Canada, it was almost entirely due to the rise of Westjet. Air Canada was forced to follow.

Everything is priced as one ways now, a return is generally 2X the one way cost, but of course it depends upon which flight of the day is chosen. E.G. the 5am departure is cheaper than noon.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:15 pm

Orbitmic I'm not following your extension of my example

My example will originally yield £13 not £15. I'm assuming even in the direct market the market is sufficiently informed (efficient market hypothesis again) that the £7 guy can buy the £5 fare even if he is willing to pay more.

If the second passenger can buy the ex-EU then BA's takings will fall to £11.

BA won't be trying to maintain £13 total revenue, it will try to charge what it can subject to cutting back capacity if revenue doesn't support the costs of running the frequency anymore.

In my example I will believe BA's costs is below £13 to start off with to make it economically worthwhile for BA to offer 3 seats' capacity to start off with.
After the second passenger buys the ex-EU fare, if BA's costs are lower than £11 it will still make a profit, just a lower one. if at £11 it will breakeven and be indifferent to cutting capacity or not.

Only at £12 cost will BA definitely cut capacity. Assuming all costs are variable in the long run then it's new cost after cutting 1 seat capacity is £8 and its takings are £10, resulting in profit of £2.
But I find this scenario very unlikely as I assume BA will have sufficient market knowledge to know that it should have cut the third seat capacity early on and raise its profit from £1 to £2.

In your £7.5 and £15 scenarios the result should be even the £7 passenger will not buy and BA will sell no seats for those flights, eventually leading to the capacity being completely cut back.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 24, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
It is a good point which is why individual flights are often capacity limited based on the network level ("married segment logic") as well as at the fare class level.

It's also why BA is very quietly trying to discourage this behaviour
Well I assumed when BA offers the £3 fare it cannot control whether it's the £3 or the £5 passenger who'll first snap it up so capacity controls don't work. If BA offers to one ex-EU it has to offer to all.

It can elect not to offer ex-EU fares in its entirety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.