Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA award search function been upgraded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has BA award search function been upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
The old look, for comparison:

Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Here's an example of the new style. It shows how (to my eyes) the "Available" and "Not Available" is fading a bit into the monochrome background, and how the bold red flash for "5 LEFT" overpowers the whole grid, both drawing attention to itself (which is not the most important information) and making the rest of the grid less easy to digest at a glance.
I agree - the red flash is too overpowering.

I do like the 'off peak' indicator on the top date selector and I do like the new spacing on the same.

But the spacing on the section at the bottom is problematic - especially when there's a number of direct flights. I think the use of the short codes for the airports is a mistake and they should have chosen the long form (does anyone outside of a frequent flyer really understand LHR v LGW - and let's not get into the canadian versions!).

I think the inclusion of the words 'journey time' is wasted space and the separation between the date and the airport codes is similarly wasted. As is the width of the cabin area - there's a lot of spare space there.

It *looks* good on first glance, but I think they should have done some eye tracking on this (assuming they haven't) and I suspect it wouldn't have played as well as the old version.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:55 am Reason: Image removed at original author's request
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
BTW, the Avios flight calculator has been changed too, an improvement in my opinion. Now you don't have to select the fare class as the result lists all classes.

IT have had a busy day!

Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I agree - the red flash is too overpowering.

I think the use of the short codes for the airports is a mistake and they should have chosen the long form (does anyone outside of a frequent flyer really understand LHR v LGW - and let's not get into the canadian versions!).
This looks consistent with the previous version that has been screen dumped. I'm guessing the Q-tips are there when the cursor is hovered over to show the airport to anyone if in doubt. The design is good for me as they've obviously made a point to try to keep it clutter-free, but obviously each person has slightly different requirements/knowledge. For me it's one of the clearest booking screens I've come across, so it's hard to fault and seems very intuitive. It's good to see BA finally moving forward as the previous/current style has been around for at least the last 10 years and looks very ugly and miserable - and kept crashing and not syncing with other parts of the site when going back and forth in the booking process. It has needed an overhaul.. hopefully this will continue onto the main flight booking pages (for each local site).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
While we are on the topic: is there ever a good reason (if not using an avios 2 for 1 or a GUF2 and not being GGL i.e. not having free changes) to book a reward flight as a return instead of 2 one-way singles? If you need to change 1 flight then you don't need to cancel the other and hope it is still available when you re-book.
There is one very good reason to book a reward flight as a return: If you are travelling in mixed classes, you will receive the highest luggage allowance for your entire trip. If any legs are booked separately, you lose the protected luggage allowance.

Besides, who says that you can't change one leg of a reward trip without losing the other legs?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:49 am
Suspended

Here's an example of the new style. It shows how (to my eyes) the "Available" and "Not Available" is fading a bit into the monochrome background, and how the bold red flash for "5 LEFT" overpowers the whole grid, both drawing attention to itself (which is not the most important information) and making the rest of the grid less easy to digest at a glance.
actually it's good design. The availability is a call to action, defines urgency, shows clearly to the user what to do next.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:55 am Reason: Image removed at original author's request
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JezQuiggley
The availability is a call to action, defines urgency, shows clearly to the user what to do next.
Only if you happen to want to book that cabin on that flight. Otherwise, it's a busy distraction from the (visual) business of trying to distinguish a faint "Not available" from an almost equally faint "Available" on the flights/cabins that you are interested. The "what to do next" is the same in every case of availability, after you have decided which flight/cabin you want. It's not as if the flight/cabin with the red flash is intrinsically more important, better value or requiring more urgent attention than the others - but that is what the red flash seems to convey.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:49 am
Suspended

Only if you happen to want to book that cabin on that flight.
Selling is not about what you want, it's about what the seller want's you to want.

Just a thought
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Selling is not about what you want, it's about what the seller want's you to want.

Just a thought
Maybe, maybe not. But achieving that through poor design is still poor design.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP

Just a thought
A low number of award seats available on one flight compared to another usually means that flight is busier, which means that BA would only be selling higher revenue fares. Hence, they would likely prefer if passengers booked the flight with higher award availability.

I completely agree with Globaliser's comments.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:07 am

I actually like the new design, it's much less 'fussy' than before. Simplicity is key.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Looks like the calendar has been updated overnight too, as you can see at a glance which dates are peak and off-peak by way of a red border.

You can also search for Avios availability (direct BA flights only) for up to three destinations at the same time. I am not sure if that is new or not. If it's not then I never knew about it beforehand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.