Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Achieving BA status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
Will he get more out of Avios? Sure, complimentary lounge access on domestic US flights is nice, but would would upgrades on the (rare) occasions he flies paid economy be better? How frequently will he really be on BA versus AA metal? Maybe the lower tier on AA is actually more beneficial than the top on BA.
Upgrades are potentially valuable but getting harder to come by and not as valuable as they used to be. I just bought a six segment round trip which would have required 14 coupons for upgrades if you were lucky but A/I cost $325 more than N/S. AC access is $450 or so for a year. So you have to calculate routes, chances of upgrades, and availability of ACs to make a comparison. There is also the intangible of possibly better service in IRROPS on the airline with which you have status.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKTony
Was that 1500 TP for one trip to Vegas or 900-1000 to add to your usual 600-700?
Trip to Vegas (including positioning flights) earner me 905 tier points

I've ended a year with 1745tps
Old Dec 11, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Purim
I think Gold achieved entirely through LH Y is...something deserving of considerable respect and an annual golden ticket for a one-off CCR entry.
Very true.

The system is a bit unfair: If you travel in J/F status comes easy and is worth nothing (most benefits included in the ticket). If you travel in Y status comes very hard and is very valuable.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Very true.

The system is a bit unfair: If you travel in J/F status comes easy and is worth nothing (most benefits included in the ticket). If you travel in Y status comes very hard and is very valuable.
Except in the case of IRROPS waitlist priority. But I agree, with the possible exception of truly premium statuses like HON circle and some would say Solitaire PPS Club that only can be achieved through premium cabin travel, the waitlist clearing on award tickets can really be useful. This is one way the BA Tier Point system is really useful; when you fly in paid J/F, you earn status quicker than other airlines.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:06 pm

Solitaire is truly premium status?

I guess you must have a very different definition to mine.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Very true.

isnt this because BA make much more profit from the J F seat sales so this incentives it?

also i suppose they want to reward clients with money let's say rather than your average holiday maker? keep the lounges more upmarket etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.