Community
Wiki Posts
Search

inside Waterside

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
inside Waterside

recently, I had the pleasure of a tour of waterside and the Speedbird Centre (also referred to / known as the "BA Museum") and I thought I'd share some pics on here.

After checking my bag in for a later flight, it was down to the arrivals level and the BA staff shuttle busses which regularly go to Waterside.

The journey to Waterside was just over 5 mins.

like most 'head offices', there are numerous 'companies' registered at Waterside.

once inside, there is a model of the whole of waterside. each 'building' / wing is named after a continent / geographical region that BA serves or used to serve.

just after reception / security, they have landing gears from a 747 which are positioning exactly the same distance apart as they are on the actual aircraft.

the walk through waterside feels like a walk down an 'avenue' - there are shops, 'outdoor' meeting spaces (indoors obviously though it gives an outdoor impression with trees, cobbled stones, etc) and even a 'river'.

eventually, one reaches the Speedbird Centre.

This is one of the first engine blades

next to one of the more modern ones

The centre is full of some really interesting 'stuff' - various aircraft models (both small in line with those that can be bought but also larger), historical documents, china sets, mock up of all cabins etc.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

every Royal Flight used to be engraved on this.

the telegraph from the Queen Mother to the new Queen Elisabeth II on the infamous flight back to the UK after the death of her father.

and a shorter version of the message from the Queen Mother - "my thoughts and prayers are with you - mummie buckingham palace"

This is the actual book that senior members of the Royal Family sign on Royal Flights (it's not usually out on public display).

sometimes things don't go quite to plan......

but ER and P just signed it again a few pages later.

after a bite in the CCR, my departure ex LHR later on that evening.

A very enjoyable tour of Waterside and in particular the Speedbird Centre. Very knowledgable and passionate staff there giving an overview of the history of BA. There's much more in there than I captured in my pictures (they have e.g. the various uniforms on display etc).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
This is fantastic - thanks so much for sharing. I want to go!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Jolly good and thank you for sharing! Looking at some of the pictures brought back some old memories

H
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Yes thanks for that. Any idea how much in advance you need to book?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Wonderful

Great photos, I was invited there for my birthday a few years ago and fully enjoyed the experience. Wish now I had taken more photos.

My personal favourite was the captain's log book from the very first flight HM The Queen took.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Worcester
Yes thanks for that. Any idea how much in advance you need to book?
one needs to be signed into the building by someone who is based there so I am not sure it's available to the general public (though I could be wrong).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by chris1979
one needs to be signed into the building by someone who is based there so I am not sure it's available to the general public (though I could be wrong).
That's a shame as thay place would seem like my heaven!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
I think it's also known (or previously known) as the "Heritage Centre"? If so you can contact them to ask about visiting via the ba website - http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-collection
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I visited the speed bird Center a couple of years ago and it was great. The person who guided me was a retired BA employee who takes care of the heritage Center. I was also shown the Royal flights book.

Highly suggested when you have a long layover and don't want to stay in the airport!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is extremely timely because I have been invited on a tour today!

Like chris1979 I shall be receiving a pass for the T5 shuttle bus.

We are also going to enjoy a pilot talk and a Q&A session with a 'Head of Customer' and a 'Manager Brand & Customer Experience'. Would anybody like me to ask specific questions?

Should be epic!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Excellent job! Many thanks for posting, chris1979 ^
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by aidy
That's a shame as thay place would seem like my heaven!
I should be able to arrange a visit, not sure if I have enough clout to get you a shuttle bus letter though! I'll speak with security about that and to see how many people I can sign in at a time, in case there's interest for a small FT group trip. Then it's just a case of figuring out a day when I can spare the time to chaperone.

An easier way to get a look in waterside (but not the museum) is the RAeS talks that run each month- I've just updated the thread with details of next week's.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Interesting report. ^

Did you spot any dilberts during your time there?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:31 am

Last time I was there it was in a building a couple of minutes walk from Hatton Cross which was a bit chaotic. Looks like they've significantly upgraded it now, which is good to see.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
We are also going to enjoy a pilot talk and a Q&A session with a 'Head of Customer' and a 'Manager Brand & Customer Experience'. Would anybody like me to ask specific questions?
Think that might be the same one I indicated an interest for, but didn't get a final spot on ... enjoy. Saw it when it was being half refurbed back in 2011 ... looks even better now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.