Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA/IAG CEO Willie Walsh Describes LHR As 'rip-off'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA/IAG CEO Willie Walsh Describes LHR As 'rip-off'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by winchpete
Walsh only wants more capacity if it is reserved for BA. The last thing he wants is a risk of having a lot more competition in his own back yard.
+1. His fear must be that fees will grow up which will hamper BA's operation, but permit competitors more, and more viable, slots.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Beijing’s major expansion was completed at a reported cost of US$3.5bn - this included a third runway, a new underground rail link, and Terminal 3. Granted, it was commissioned, approved, designed, built, and opened in the space of 4 years (a timescale impossible to achieve in the UK).

£17bn is a staggering figure.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Prospero

£17bn is a staggering figure.

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
£17bn is indeed a huge number - I don't think anyone can disagree. Do we have any detail of how they arrived at this figure? Or how they can easily add billions to the previous estimate?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
He he he BAA must have been taking notice when WW brags to institutional investors that BA's dominance at LHR is a major competitive advantage because "the vast majority of business travellers want to fly into Heathrow."
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Worcester
£17 billion (+ another £5 billion for road improvements) is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on one runway, given the new airport in Berlin cost £3.8 billion for the entire airport.
Exactly, for that amount of money we should get a whole new airport, if not two. £17bn for a bit of tarmac, wiring, road markings and sundries is ridiculous. Would love to see the estimates that add up to this figure.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:19 am

£17Bn is staggering - and the £5Bn for road improvements even more.

See costs here for roads:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13924687

£694m for the Glasgow M74 extension: £86.5k per metre.

£155k per metre for the A3 tunnel and..... wait for it........

£250k per metre in today's money for London Dockland's Limehouse Link!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:22 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Exactly, for that amount of money we should get a whole new airport, if not two. £17bn for a bit of tarmac, wiring, road markings and sundries is ridiculous. Would love to see the estimates that add up to this figure.
I think the vast majority of the general public underestimates the true cost of infrastructure, and what goes into determining the feasibility, designing, planning, and finally the construction of it (the last part being the only part seen by the average person).

As an example, work on the midfield concourse in HKG was under design, there was a huge unforeseen problem: groundwater hydrostatic pressure uplift. The cheapest solution found was to install several hundred steel tension anchors at a <confidential> price underneath the building. Is it visible to a user of the airport? no. Is it detailed in press releases? no. Does it benefit the traveller like champagne does? no. Is it vital? yes, otherwise the floor of the concourse would bow up from under you.

The breakdown of the Heathrow north-west third runway is much more than "a bit of tarmac, wiring, road markings, and sundries". In fact, it takes up approximately ~1% of the cost. This obviously isn't final, but it gives an idea of the distribution of that kind of money:

Graphic source: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nal-report.pdf
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Add in the cost of public inquires, judicial reviews of said enquires, environmental impact reviews etc and it will add up to a bit more than the material costs.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Add in the cost of public inquires, judicial reviews of said enquires, environmental impact reviews etc and it will add up to a bit more than the material costs.
Yes, costs for relocating local residents, businesses and the boggle eyed newt population will run into a few billion.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
But why can other European countries build things at a fraction of the cost

for example

Portugal's seven new stadiums for Euro 2004 were built for less than half the price of the new Wembley national stadium in north London.
yes London land values are higher and yes Labour costs are too. But I still can not begin to get my head around the huge multiple of cost.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Apparently the cost of a stadium goes up quite a bit when you want to seat over 80,000.

But back on topic - the graph shows the spend etc. And I'm not sure that we are necessarily more expensive. We need to compare like with like.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:14 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by Worcester
But why can other European countries build things at a fraction of the cost

for example

yes London land values are higher and yes Labour costs are too. But I still can not begin to get my head around the huge multiple of cost.

the article you quoted explains (further down) why costs don't scale up linearly when you scale up proportion/capacity linearly
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:23 am

HAL runs a fairly efficient ship and turns a healthy operating profit. The reason they are expensive has nothing to do with that, but because they are having to service huge debts at comparatively high rates.

The huge price tag for the 3rd runway is due in large part to the cost of financing the loans needed. A state owned airport could do it much cheaper because the cost of borrowing would be lower.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
My heart bleeds for Wee Willie, it's not like BA rip people off is it.

I think he should take his toys home and then go and play elsewhere with them. Let's see how he gets on moving everything to Doncaster/Sheffield. They'd be delighted to have him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.