Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fog disruption at Heathrow - Sunday 1 Nov 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

We get the red banner treatment on BA.com at the moment:

Originally Posted by BA.com
Due to heavy fog on Sunday, November 1, Heathrow Airport and Air Traffic Control have requested airlines to reduce their schedules for safety reasons.

We are sorry for the disruption to our customers' travel plans, and we will re-book those who are affected onto alternative flights so they can continue their journeys as soon as possible.

We are monitoring the situation and recommend you check the status of your flight and allow plenty of time to travel to the airport.
The BA schedule is also a sea of red, cancellations and delays across the board today.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:47 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Looks like the 246 from Săo Paulo ended up in Glasgow.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
It's certainly the thickest fog I've seen for quite some time in SE1 - usually I can see the Shard and The City from my window, I couldn't see the other side of the road at 8am. It started lifting around 11:15. Whilst aircraft instruments, radar and the microwave systems at LHR will work I wouldn't want to be taxiing at anything more than walking pace if it's as thick at the airport!

I noticed a 747 going to Glasgow on FR24, there will probably have been other diversions. I would expect it will have lifted just enough for LCY to open as usual after the weekend shutdown.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Viz is about 100 metres out of the Flounge windows at LHR at the moment. Screens are showing about ten percent cancellations for BA.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:30 am

The ATC landing 'flow rate' has been down to 26 per hour. That is about a 50% reduction. It is generally chaotic over the UK in general today.

EDIT: only really LHR/LGW/AMS/LUX that are now affected by significant delays. For the rest it is a knock-on.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Looks like a 777 is operating LHR - GLA - LHR later today even though Glasgow doesn't currently have any cancellations. I wonder if people are being bussed between Aberdeen and Glasgow - Aberdeen seems to have a few cancellations.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Sorry to hear of today's disruption but pleased it's not next Sunday when I'm due to fly EDI-LHR-SIN, 'my' flight to LHR has been cancelled today.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
I came in on the BA32 from HKG at 4.30 this morning and it was very thick indeed. Captain came on and said that visibility was 150m but that the A380 could land anywhere above 75m, however that all Ebookreaders, ipads etc all had to switched off as it was a landing using instruments. Taxi was very slow as you would expect, and then the camera guidance system at the gate failed due to low visibility when we were 10m off stand so marshalling had to come with bats. This took 20 minutes as apparently a number of other aircraft had had the same problem and the bat-wavers had too many to sort out at the same time. I was glad my travels ended at LHR today, and it's actually still pretty foggy at 1pm as I type this,
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Supposed to be foggy in stirling today. Nice clear sky as it happened. Good luck to all!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Clear and sunny as can be in W1, I was wondering why the iOS weather app was telling me it was foggy in London. Guess that's where it is: P

Hope the disruptions aren't too extensive.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Yep, stuck in AMS on a double whammy. At least BA gave us a voucher which paid for a broodje kroket
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I'm stuck at Glasgow awaiting the much delayed BA1489 which means I'll miss my connection to Dusseldorf tonight. This looks like it'll be my fourth missconnect at Heathrow this year. Made more frustrating by the refusal to Redbook me on the direct flight on Germanwings. Still, at least I wasn't on the 747 diverted from GRU - Lhr. Those pax are currently being bussed to Heathrow
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I'm on the Kraków flight at the moment which is on a remote stand. Visibility has just plummeted from about 500m down to 100m in the space of a minute.

I think we will be leaving shortly but not sure what impact this has on arrivals.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
Originally Posted by ptr120
Still, at least I wasn't on the 747 diverted from GRU - Lhr. Those pax are currently being bussed to Heathrow
Ouch. Exactly what you don't need after a flight that long. I'd be seriously contemplating self harm.
Looks pretty rubbish tomorrow too so I'm very glad I picked the lunchtime positioning flight to OSL - with two later flights that will also get me there in time for the 'proper' flight Tues morning...
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paul4040
I'm on the Kraków flight at the moment which is on a remote stand. Visibility has just plummeted from about 500m down to 100m in the space of a minute.

I think we will be leaving shortly but not sure what impact this has on arrivals.
Weather is much much better in North London less than 10 miles away! Blue skies and sun (although a fairly noticable smog haze )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.