Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'i don't believe it' - FT views please, on my booking problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

I'd be grateful for advice/views from FTers' on my booking conundrum. We are booked to fly HK-LHR-MLA in March next year. When booking, I went to a lot of trouble to make sure that we flew into LHR on a day when BA have an afternoon flight out to Malta. That way we get a breakfast in the Arrivals lounge, a taxi to LGW and check in for the MLA flight in good time. While idly checking through my BA account last week I spotted that our LGW-MLA afternoon flight had in fact become the 08.05 am., meaning that BA had pulled the afternoon flight. No email, no nothing.

BA say that their minimum connection time is 3 hours 15 minutes and that my connection is within that time. So they are suggesting that we can:-

Arrive at 04.50 at LHR and collect baggage and gallop to LGW in time to check in for the 08.05. Actually, I don't think so.

I went to a lot of trouble to plan this itinerary and now BA have just arbitrarily messed it up. I think that they should either put us on the Air Malta flight from LHR later that same morning OR allow us to catch the BA 0805 on the following day from LGW. At present they say they can't do either as they have to book us on 'the next available flight' which at present is the 08.05 from LGW the same day.

I think we would have to travel at the speed of light to get from LHR to Gatters on the M25 in the rush hour in time for this flight. If, as seem likely, we miss it, will we lose the ticket? The next available flight after that one is Air Malta later the same morning from - you've guessed it - LHR.

I'm sure that this happens a lot, but thanks to BA it looks as though the final leg of our trip is going to be a stressful, mad gallop. Grrrr....
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

It's possible to get from Heathrow to Gatwick in an hour, in fact I am doing it right now! Three hours is ample, OK I am HBO and it's a Saturday, but I could easily do a 100 minute connection at the current rate and that is using the coach rather than a taxi. No galloping here! If you're late arriving into LHR they will rebook you, quite possibly on to the Air Malta service, you won't be abandoned even if the M25 gets stuck, so long as you are on one ticket.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 10, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

3:15 at that time of day seems perfectly easy. Even with luggage , should be able to be on a coach by 5:50 to Gatwick , arriving 6:40
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Perfectly possible to do this transfer in the time allowed and that includes collecting luggage etc etc

Any taxi driver worth their salt knows all the alternative routes. As do the National Express Coach drivers.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:55 pm

It's a 45 minute trip at that time of the morning. Rush hour is a little later.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:56 pm

I wouldn't say 05.30 is the rush hour. Barring a disaster you should be at Gatwick 06.30 latest and in plenty of time.

If you speak to them and spin a yarn (slow mover, buses not as regular at that time etc) they may switch to the next day but I suspect the overnight will be at your expense.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
I wouldn't say 05.30 is the rush hour. Barring a disaster you should be at Gatwick 06.30 latest and in plenty of time.

If you speak to them and spin a yarn (slow mover, buses not as regular at that time etc) they may switch to the next day but I suspect the overnight will be at your expense.
You really think BA is not aware of the frequency of the coach service to Gatwick?

If the fare allows stopovers, then the passenger could add the stopover in and pay the additional taxes and take a flight > 24 hours after arrival in London
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I don't think the M25 will be your problem, at that time of day going North to South is the better option.

I would be more concerned about the potential queues at passport control and delivery of baggage.

Today I stepped off BA 288 at 1.30pm and was at Gatwick 90 minutes later
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

You really think BA is not aware of the frequency of the coach service to Gatwick?
BA do - but their agents for another matter...Mmm, I can't see an agent arguing the toss about this one.

This is a pain for the OP, but I think what Simon said is probably the best advice in these circumstances.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040
BA do - but their agents for another matter...Mmm, I can't see an agent arguing the toss about this one.

This is a pain for the OP, but I think what Simon said is probably the best advice in these circumstances.
So , the recommendation is to start lying to the staff , misrepresenting the situation to try and con them into making an exception?

There seems to me a lot of indication that 3:15 is not the impossibility that the OP is suggesting but that it is perfectly doable
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:11 pm

So you really think every telephone agent is aware of the frequency? Yeah right.

Additionally what if the OP was indeed a slow mover (needed a stick etc). If OP missed the 05.40 coach (bearing in mind need to retrieve bags, buy a ticket etc) the next one is at 06.05 at arriving 06.55. Doable maybe but a lot tighter and more stressful.

I would certainly ask even if it meant an overnight stop at my expense. Plenty of cheapish hotels around LGW.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
...a taxi to LGW...
No coach here. Door to door.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:17 pm

So , the recommendation is to start lying to the staff , misrepresenting the situation to try and con them into making an exception?

There seems to me a lot of indication that 3:15 is not the impossibility that the OP is suggesting but that it is perfectly doable
Not lying, but over-egging the pudding.

That is my recommendation. It's called trying to influence an outcome.

3:15 is perfectly doable but it doesn't make for as pleasant an experience as the OP initially hoped for.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
-
Additionally what if the OP was indeed a slow mover (needed a stick etc). If OP missed the 05.40 coach (bearing in mind need to retrieve bags, buy a ticket etc) the next one is at 06.05 at arriving 06.55. Doable maybe but a lot tighter and more stressful.

I would certainly ask even if it meant an overnight stop at my expense. Plenty of cheapish hotels around LGW.
Hong Kong Services arrive into T5 - The coaches are 05:10, 05:30, 05:50, 06:10 with a journey time of 50 minutes at Gatwick North. Even the 06:10 is over an hour prior to departure

If the fare the passenger has allows stopovers, subject to availability on the flight the next day, there is no reason why should not be able to make a voluntary change to the flight

I think that suggesting that the passenger lying to staff to try and get ones way is pretty poor

Originally Posted by paul4040
Not lying, but over-egging the pudding.
yes it is - making statements knowing them to be false is lying - adding an emoticon , doesn't make it less so

The OP had already indicated that was planning to take a taxi to Gatwick, so even if it was true, it would not be relevent

I cannot see that there is any real problem with the connection especially if taking a taxi anyway
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:25 pm

You should use emoticons sometime Dave, they're good for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.