Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Challenging Yellow Tags with an Exit Row/Row 1 Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

Has anyone ever really challenged the placement of a yellow tag on a bag when in an exit row or Row 1? I don't mean the normal - "Oh I'm in an exit row" response to be followed by "we have to do it" and the acquiesence. I mean, has anyone just steadfastly said no, this is stupid, the tag tells me to do something I can't do by BA Policy or CAA regulations (or whatever it is) and just refused to accept it?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I tried once and it wasn't a success, in 1A on an A320.

I learned my lesson and just let them tag it now.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
I tried once and it wasn't a success, in 1A on an A320.

I learned my lesson and just let them tag it now.
Its just assanine. I agree it doesn't matter. I have never actually entered an aircraft with a yellow tag on my bag and never actually placed my second bag under the seat in front of me (the middle seat in CE is a different story). But its just stupid for them to insist on this when the tag provides impossible instructions.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Sounds an utterly pointless waste of breath to me...
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Yes, I challenged it yesterday while I was checking a bag. The guy at the head of the queue proceeded to put a yellow tag on my small bag which was now my only piece. When explaining I'm on row 1, he told me to put it under my seat instead

He also explained that the yellow tag was the only guarantee of me getting that small laptop bag on board, despite it being my only bag. I took it off as I went to security and binned it, because I wasn't going to put it under my own seat, where row 2 may have been placing their bag.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sts603
I mean, has anyone just steadfastly said no, this is stupid, the tag tells me to do something I can't do by BA Policy or CAA regulations (or whatever it is) and just refused to accept it?
As has been pointed out here on quite a few occasions, the tag means no such thing. It means you bags go in the overhead unless you are in the bulkhead or emergency exit. You may prefer to overlook the "unless" word, but there must have been dozens of contributions from staff members and regular flyers who have pointed this out.

I remember cycling through central London once through slow moving traffic. A car - a nice one - had inconsiderately edged right up to the pavement giving me very little space to get through. I carefully navigated through the gap and for half a second placed 3 fingers on the bonnet to ensure I wouldn't topple over. The ensuing string of abuse from the car owner was if I had touched his testicles or something. It's actually a sheet of prefabricated aluminium.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I don't understand what would be achieved by such a refusal, apart from possibly being offloaded. So what if they put a tag on the bag? Removing them seems a bit childish to me.

I do have sympathy for people with only one piece having their bag tagged (especially if it is bigger than the new 2nd piece size, which I have seen happen and I don't think it should), but if you have 2, accepting the tag and putting the smaller piece under the seat is fine, and it is airline policy. I rarely say this but fly others if you don't like it.

It's easier for the staff to tag all applicable bags rather than work it out, and no crew member is going to prevent you putting allowable bags up if you are in bulkhead or exit row. If another pax should complain, the crew can deal with them.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Once this week I was nicely asked to do it anyway as it would help the yellow label lady and once the lady said "of course, no need."

It really is a waste of manpower and as I walked through I thought to myself that this will be one of those initiatives that will be quietly discontinued.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Life is too short to waste energy on that argument

the crew on board will know the rules and ignore your yellow tag
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:32 am

It's not worth getting worked up about. Let the person tag your bag, don't worry about it and put the bag in the locker.

It's daft to get bothered about such a trivial thing. As I understand it, they are correct to tag all second bags and arguably even first bags that fit the 'second bag' size.

Think of it as a 'guaranteed on board' tag. You might feel better about it.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Did it on Thursday, was fine
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Maybe we should run a sweepstake on how many more times this question will be asked before Christmas .
It's a non-issue. People need to get over it, accept the tag and smile politely, knowing they have the moral high ground because the tag doesn't apply to them in row 1.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure why you feel it necessary to challenge it since there is absolutely no difference in the end result on the plane.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

I would not have guessed in a million years that I'd be reading about CWS and touching testicles in this thread.;-)

Happy Saturday.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As has been pointed out here on quite a few occasions, the tag means no such thing. It means you bags go in the overhead unless you are in the bulkhead or emergency exit.
Doesn't it mean your tagged bag goes under your seat unless you are in the bulkhead or emergency exit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.