Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Pass

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Concerto
Do you remember how it used to be getting from LCY airport to the DLR station? I recall having to walk down a street, passing a corner shop and crossing a road to a very awkward station entrance. I even recall something like having to cut through a garden, council house style, or a piece of waste ground on the way. Surely I've got that wrong? To get back to the airport you really had to know the way because there were no signposts.
Nope, the old Silvertown station was indeed a couple of hundred metres back from the station, betwixt and between a primary school and social housing developments. It was demolished in 2012 but survives digitally via the pages of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvertown_railway_station
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Nope, the old Silvertown station was indeed a couple of hundred metres back from the station, betwixt and between a primary school and social housing developments. It was demolished in 2012 but survives digitally via the pages of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvertown_railway_station
How quaint

Sadly a time I'm too young to have been a part of, much like the fantastic old BEA terminal in west London. My great aunt is 96 and has lived in Hayes all her life - chatting with her about the area is fascinating.

I love flying, but wish I could experience it in its golden age. Does one of the US Hawaii 757s count?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Do you remember how it used to be getting from LCY airport to the DLR station? I recall having to walk down a street, passing a corner shop and crossing a road to a very awkward station entrance. I even recall something like having to cut through a garden, council house style, or a piece of waste ground on the way. Surely I've got that wrong? To get back to the airport you really had to know the way because there were no signposts.
It used to be a service bus from Canning Town DLR, or a City Airport bus complete with flashing orange light on the top so it could double up for ramp use that cost £5 (and we're talking 20 years back here) from either Liverpool Street or Canary Wharf.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It used to be a service bus from Canning Town DLR, or a City Airport bus complete with flashing orange light on the top so it could double up for ramp use that cost £5 (and we're talking 20 years back here) from either Liverpool Street or Canary Wharf.
And there was also a boat service too from central London. My boss at the time managed to get sea sick between Tower and Silvertown.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:57 am

I'd certainly be interested in this
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So recently (sorry to drag this further off topic) I stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express London Excel, which is just across the river from the airport. According to Google Maps it's only a ten minute walk from the HIX to LCY. However, trying to find my way to the public part of the airport at 8 am certainly wore down the wheels on my roller case. And then there are these fences between the pavement and the road exactly where you want to cross the road to get to the airport, but they seem to run the entire length of the road without a gap. In the end I had to jump over one, with packbag and roller case, while dodging a taxi, and then jump over one of the other side of the road. The suited folks coming out the terminal must have thought I was mad (probably correctly). It was quite funny actually, but it did seem a bit poorly thought out safety wise.

I know that very few airports are designed with pedestrians in mind, but LCY could surely be an exception.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
So recently (sorry to drag this further off topic) I stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express London Excel, which is just across the river from the airport. According to Google Maps it's only a ten minute walk from the HIX to LCY. However, trying to find my way to the public part of the airport at 8 am certainly wore down the wheels on my roller case. And then there are these fences between the pavement and the road exactly where you want to cross the road to get to the airport, but they seem to run the entire length of the road without a gap. In the end I had to jump over one, with packbag and roller case, while dodging a taxi, and then jump over one of the other side of the road. The suited folks coming out the terminal must have thought I was mad (probably correctly). It was quite funny actually, but it did seem a bit poorly thought out safety wise.

I know that very few airports are designed with pedestrians in mind, but LCY could surely be an exception.
Good to know; I've often sat in LCY's Western Pier gazing into space and wondered if the HIX might be a reasonable option to consider if I land late or depart early, but sounds like it might be more faff than it's worth.

I don't drive, so this kind of thing is a frequent pain of mine for airports. One of the most frustrating situations I've been in is on an early flight from LHR T5 - I had stayed in a Bath Rd hotel the night before (I live in Essex so have to stay if I'm flying early) and TfL buses to T5 were infrequent so I thought I'd get one to central then transfer... but of course neither the HEX or the Piccadilly Line start until 05:30... and there's no way to walk between central and T5. So instead of sitting in the lounge, I sat on the floor of the Piccadilly line station feeling sorry for myself.

I suppose it's all about security.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:42 am

So using the Freedom option (20tp each way), it's working out at £220 return. For me that's incredible value - I'll save approximately £100 p/w.

I'll purchase a little later
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Great deal. I took the plunge for Berlin where short-notice fares are usually far more expensive than this.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I contacted Optiontown to ask about using a Amex card and they replied:

"We are working to add the option of paying for Flight Pass using American Express card and expect it to be available within the next few days"

That looks rather promising - will add further value to an already bargain fare (Freedom Option)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:38 am

RE: my earlier comment about it only showing availability from LHR to GLA, and not out of LCY, just had this response:
We would like to advise you that the Flight Pass for Glasgow includes travel from both Heathrow airport as well as London City airport to Glasgow and can be used to book travel in either direction as long as you book round trip ticket.

We have updated the same on the website as well.

Flight Pass booking also includes 1 checked bag of up to 23kg per person in addition to regular hand baggage allowance as per British Airways policy subject to British Airways size restrictions.
Checked and sure enough they've updated the website accordingly. Very impressed by their customer service.

This now looks v tempting...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:58 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
The notes and examples seem to suggest that if you (for example) buy 8 flights to use in a month for 4 passengers then you can use them for a simple family return trip.

Combined with no blackout I can already see places that would bring a £900 per pax BA return fare in half-term down to £160 (two passes @ £80 each).

Am I reading it correctly ?
Originally Posted by BLHD
It probably seems a crazy Logic but yes! Spot on!
Not quite - I've had a play and while you can tweak the number of pax and flights, you have to book a minimum of 4 flights/pax. Sadly.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like most FTers are jumping on this to save money, having willingly paid the higher fares previously... is that BA's intention?

I recall FT lot laughing at bmi with its route pass, given BA used to think it undercuts revenue (see above).

So BA joins the leagues of AZ & SN offering a carnet.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Not quite - I've had a play and while you can tweak the number of pax and flights, you have to book a minimum of 4 flights/pax. Sadly.
I think I may have seen the same on the initial configuration screen, but if you got past that you could then tweak thinks to suit before going to the customise page. Additionally the example I read was for Bob and Mary to buy 6 sectors, of which Bob used 4 and Mary only 2. Which is got me thinking in the first place...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, Marriott, SPG, DM, B6
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I think I may have seen the same on the initial configuration screen, but if you got past that you could then tweak thinks to suit before going to the customise page. Additionally the example I read was for Bob and Mary to buy 6 sectors, of which Bob used 4 and Mary only 2. Which is got me thinking in the first place...
Originally Posted by Optiontown
Here's what I found from FAQ's

How can I share my Flight Pass with other people?
You can add from one to six passengers who can use your Flight Pass to book flights and fly. The fewer the number of passengers, the lower the price.

You can add passengers at the time of purchasing your Flight Pass or within the following 24 hours until the maximum number of passengers you selected is reached.
If you have chosen the Freedom Option (i.e. the 4-hour Advance Booking) you can add passengers at any time until the maximum number of passengers is reached. The 24 hour limit doesn't apply in this case.
If you select more than 1 passenger, you would need to purchase at least 4 one-way flights for each passenger in your Flight Pass. So if you select 3 passengers, you would need to purchase at least 12 one-way flights in your Flight Pass. However any eligible passenger already added in your Flight Pass can use any or all flights available in your Flight Pass.
You can add adults and children over two years of age.
Once you have purchased your Flight Pass you cannot increase the number of passengers.
Each passenger can travel alone, or with one or more of the other passengers in a single booking. If only one passenger is travelling on a booking, it must be an adult.
One flight refers to a one-way flight for one passenger and will consume one flight credit from your Flight Pass.
You will need to provide all relevant details for each passenger, including name, date of birth, email, telephone contact and proof of identity (e.g. passport, driver's license or National ID card)

So what I understand from looking at options and FAQ's for one person you need to buy at least 6 OW which can then be redeemed for 3RT, for two pax you need to buy at least 8 OW and for three pax at least 12 OW and so forth, however there is no minimum number of flights that each pax has to fly and any person can use all the flight credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.