Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA economy v KLM and Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I took KLM economy from AMS to YUL in June and it was quite good, new A330-300. Not sure what plane is flying to BKK. However there was small delay at departure and huge chaos at boarding. Food was worse than BA economy, but that's my personal opinion.

I would look into Middle East Carriers.
I was pretty certain KLM use a 747- they certainly did until recently, but according to KLM.com it's a 777.

Another thing to bear in mind is flight times. KLM, like BA, have a day flight (i.e. leaving afternoon rather than late evening) which is awful and exacerbates the jet lag. If LH operate a night flight then that would be a big point in favour of flying LH, regardless of anything else.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fiona
CWS and ptr120- thanks , will have a look. We have thought about ex eu options but avoiding them for the moment, unless it's worth the gamble. Our holiday times are pretty fixed as we both are tied to certain dates, and we always need to allow for him being stuck offshore.
I'm more than happy to do them personally, as it is very easy and allows me to travel in a higher class of service/save quite a bit of money.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
For long haul, I fly more Y than not, and I find them much of a muchness.

Generally, I'd chose on route/schedule/price/number of stops to the destination and ignore any FF benefits (especially now discount Y gets few avios/TPs).

• Seat Pitch. I'm sure they're all very similar.
  • Food. Who flys Y for the food?
  • IFE. Load up your iPad
  • FFP Benefits. You might have lounge access if you fly with OW, but I'd chose first on route/schedule/price
  • Avios/Miles earning. Most discount Y tickets get few avios and TPs, so I'd not use this as a factor in deciding who to fly with.

The only Y I have found to be significantly better than the norm was on Singapore, and I try to avoid AA if I can (partially because trasniting via the US to anywhere is a PITA, partially becasue they're just not as good as other airlines in my experience).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I haven't flown KL in the last couple of years but my recollection is very dated equipment.

I fly LH fairly regularly and I like the Germanic efficiency of onboard, and I find the decor to be modern and calming, so I generally prefer it to BA (but only slightly). However, LH is prone to strikes and if you are unlucky enough to hit one of those you are hosed. And, FRA is a mess - conversely a connection in MUC is generally very easy.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
However if the saving is greater, especially if taking wags/children, then it might be worth doing, particularly as AMS would normally be an easy transit- though I should add that with current refurb work it might be different.
The AMS construction work is pretty much finished. The central security is operating and most of the airside amenities are present again. Adequate (barely) restaurant choice, range of shops, etc. The central security is pretty efficient (you can decline the body scanner if you want, just ask for a hand search). Transfers from the UK don't need to go through another security screening.

Of course for a longer, loungeless transit the upstairs quiet seating is all gone now - that's where the central security is now. But most other airports don't have large quiet areas to sit in either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.