Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA ever upgrade passengers flying on reward flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)

I have a strong suspicion that the answer is no, but thought I would ask!

I'm at a loose end professionally next week and so have decided to burn some miles on a trip to Barbados. Whilst I managed to book an F seat on the outward leg I could only find WT+ on the return. I should add that I am only BA Silver.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes they do... I was upgraded from WT+ to CW on an award seat.

Don't count on it though
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I've been upgraded on both long haul and shorthaul award flights. My upgrades on revenue or award tickets have been few and far between though so be prepared to fly in WT+. Anything different is a bonus.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes they do, we've been upgraded from a WT+ reward to CW on a return trip to YVR both ways, once was at check-in, the other at the gate.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Stoemp
I have a strong suspicion that the answer is no, but thought I would ask!

I'm at a loose end professionally next week and so have decided to burn some miles on a trip to Barbados. Whilst I managed to book an F seat on the outward leg I could only find WT+ on the return. I should add that I am only BA Silver.
Do keep an eye on Club/First availability too, seats can show up all the way up to the time you check-in.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful replies. I'm trying not to think about the WT+ experience at the moment (!)

There doesn't seem to be a BA lounge at BGI either, so the return leg is not going to be the high point of the trip.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Been upgraded on lots of reward flights (usually RFS) so definitely nothing that will make it less likely.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
My friend and I got bumped from WT+ to F on my first ever reward flight.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by bullroot
My friend and I got bumped from WT+ to F on my first ever reward flight.
I wish people didn't post such things for me to see!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BA
A few years back I was on a revenue WTP ticket, MFU'd to Club (UUA nowadays I suppose) and was upgraded to F at check-in...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Stoemp
Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful replies. I'm trying not to think about the WT+ experience at the moment (!)
Is it a day flight? I find that the new WT+ is perfectly good for day flights - the experience won't be as bad as you are expecting.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by expatboy
A few years back I was on a revenue WTP ticket, MFU'd to Club (UUA nowadays I suppose) and was upgraded to F at check-in...
Same has happened to me. ^

Even with BA's newer algorithm in place, a Gold on reward booking will in a majority of cases stand a better chance of being moved forward than a Blue on revenue. That being said, it's been a long time since I got upgraded.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've had a reward WT+ ticket upgraded to CW and also had a revenue WT+ ticket, which i upgraded with avios to CW, then got upgraded to F at check-in in Las Vegas. Was on a stagger, so you can imagine the envy of the other 20 lads being in WT for the 11 or so hour flight after a long weekend stagger in Vegas when I tell them I am in F. Should probably add that I was Gold at the time, I have never been upgraded when I haven't been Gold.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Petrus
Same has happened to me. ^

Even with BA's newer algorithm in place, a Gold on reward booking will in a majority of cases stand a better chance of being moved forward than a Blue on revenue. That being said, it's been a long time since I got upgraded.
Think I was Silver at the time. I was certainly flying more, and on the BOM-LHR route with the family we usually booked WTP and MFU'd to Club. I had frequency too - the BOM-based crew started recognising us...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:48 am

I'm only a Bronze and got opuped from WTP to CW on both legs of a JFK-LHR reward ticket over the summer.

Last edited by rpjs; Oct 3, 2015 at 10:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.