Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it time for BA to offer systemwide upgrades to Gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Maybe the 4 flight minimum. Since I fly CX more than BA I will certainly look into it. Did not know they offered this.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
BA GUFs are rather hard to apply to bookings. It has to be on BA/125 stock and there must/should be BA metal flights only. AA SWUs are much easier to apply, even last minute at the gate. BA takes more planning and generally suffers from various restrictions.
Must be on 125 stock (but surely AA SWU must be on 001 stock) but non-BA metal is fine as long as it is BA-marketed. Only BA-operated sectors will be upgraded.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
This is kind of interesting. I'm sitting at 2500 TPs with 7 months left in my membership year. Was thinking I would go for CCR again this year, but might make more sense to credit everything over 3500 to Cathay to get the upgrades.....a return for wifey and I in CX F at discounted J prices would be more valuable to me than a CCR card.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BA4EVER
.a return for wifey and I in CX F at discounted J prices would be more valuable to me than a CCR card.
Make sure that they upgrade from all classes. Alitalia offers something similar from booking classes more expensive than the cheapest fare in the cabin you're upgrading to.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by BA4EVER
This is kind of interesting. I'm sitting at 2500 TPs with 7 months left in my membership year. Was thinking I would go for CCR again this year, but might make more sense to credit everything over 3500 to Cathay to get the upgrades.....a return for wifey and I in CX F at discounted J prices would be more valuable to me than a CCR card.
I believe the changes kick in next year but likewise, it would ale things interesting if any J class fare can be upgraded.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
BA GUFs are rather hard to apply to bookings. It has to be on BA/125 stock and there must/should be BA metal flights only.
I hate to say it, but those conditions do not seem particularly difficult to satisfy!

Certainly it would normally be at least a thousand Pounds cheaper to buy a ticket like MSP-ORD-MSP on an AUP and then ORD-LHR-ORD in WT+ using the voucher to upgrade to CW rather than buying MSP-ORD-LHR-ORD-MSP as one CW through ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

While CX is introducing upgrade certs for some members, bear in mind they are not going to offer tier bonuses for miles earning. So it's still a more restrictive program in that in lieu of a tier bonus you get a miles-equivalent product that isn't as versatile as miles would be.

Also, have a closer look at the new tier chart before rushing to switch to chase SWUs. Oddly they are not heavily tilting the TP scale in favor of higher cabins the way BAEC does.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
I prefer the GF method- know a guy at the airport, buy a Y ticket, he crosses out ''35E'' on the boarding card, hand writes ''1A'' on the boarding card, speaks to the crew and you are all set!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Good luck applying your BA GUF2 to your WT+ LHR-ORD-LHR (availability of reward space!)
I have also NOT been allowed to use a GUF2 on CPT-JNB-LHR (via TA route).

BAEC have a dilemma with the offering between 1500 TPs and 5000. The GUFs at 2500 and 3500 are really nothing more than avios award discount vouchers. Eg, lock in a CW rtn award (basically when released), and pay WT+ avios cost.
Its not a great incentive.
It could be better. For example, even a choice at 2,500 of three or four different 'baubles' would at least keep those with alternative options interested in BA/BAEC.
Do AA / CX do it better? I'm not so sure. Do the 8 (AA) SWUs really apply to the flights you want? Heard varying stories.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlefish
Good luck applying your BA GUF2 to your WT+ LHR-ORD-LHR (availability of reward space!)
I have also NOT been allowed to use a GUF2 on CPT-JNB-LHR (via TA route).

BAEC have a dilemma with the offering between 1500 TPs and 5000. The GUFs at 2500 and 3500 are really nothing more than avios award discount vouchers. Eg, lock in a CW rtn award (basically when released), and pay WT+ avios cost.
Its not a great incentive.
It could be better. For example, even a choice at 2,500 of three or four different 'baubles' would at least keep those with alternative options interested in BA/BAEC.
Do AA / CX do it better? I'm not so sure. Do the 8 (AA) SWUs really apply to the flights you want? Heard varying stories.
You don't need award space if you use a TA (assuming you're paying cash for the base fare). What reason did the TA give for declining your upgrade?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by Calchas
You don't need award space if you use a TA (assuming you're paying cash for the base fare). What reason did the TA give for declining your upgrade?
GUFs are a nightmare to use with TA's as a) many TA's don't know how to process them, and more importantly b) the BA people the TA's talk to when they are confronted with a GUF give the TA wildly varying guidance, most of which isn't really helpful.

The only time I can use GUF's easily, is when booking direct with BA. And in that instance, the best usage is when cashing in a joker also. However jokers are rarer than GUFs. Which is why I have a bunch of GUFs at hand but probably will only use one or two. But not so bothered about that, a 241 is much more valuable IMO.

My colleagues who frequent US based airlines have much better benefit from the upgrade vouchers they receive, flexibility seems more inherent there. BA GUFs are useless for most use cases I know of, unfortunately.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Calchas
BA Trade Support say no (CPT-JNB didn't count as BA metal). I pressed one time and checked across on here too.
But basically it was a mess, and GUF is thus not a helpful BAEC benefit (to me) ... funnily enough I've "given up" at 1500 TPs in prior years and will do in future if 3000/5000 for GGL is not assured.

Now, it is perfectly likely there are BA routes where CW/F reward seats are fairly widely available, making GUFs a genuine benefit. If I was using such routes regularly I'd likely have a different experience and view.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by littlefish
..... it is perfectly likely there are BA routes where CW/F reward seats are fairly widely available.....
I'd be most grateful if you could name the routes, please. In general it's almost impossible to find them from the West Coast unless a new category is introduced (e.g. F SAN-LHR).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I have never successfully used a GUF2/1 without a joker. I just can't plan ahead enough and company policy forbids using the TA for self-funded upgrades (permits it only direct with the airline). One good bit of news I have discovered is that they will extend the certificate validity by 6 months which speaks I think to how little value they actually are.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
What is the difference between a GUF2 and a systemwide upgrade?
Not knowing very much at all about GUF whatever number or, indeed, 'jokers', I would be genuinely interested to know the answer to that question, especially from those who have experience of both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.