Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA still charges "fuel surcharge", even on transatlantic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thought BA had renamed Fuel Surcharges as "Carrier Fees", but when I tried to book a Scotland-LHR-USA flight, I got this:

Yes, fuel surcharge of £309 ! ! !

Charges applied to your flight
There are certain taxes, fees and carrier charges that are applied to your booking by British Airways, airport operators, governments or other authorities. Here you will find a full breakdown and explanation of the taxes, fees and carrier charges applied to your booking.

Government, authority and airport charges Per adult
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom GBP146.00
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA GBP3.20
Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee - USA GBP3.60
Immigration User Fee - USA GBP4.50
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA GBP11.40
Customs User Fee - USA GBP3.50
Transportation Tax(Departure) - USA GBP11.40
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom GBP66.05
Passenger Facility Charge GBP2.90
Total government, authority and airport charges* GBP252.55
More information
British Airways fees and carrier charges Per adult
Fuel surcharge GBP309.00
Total British Airways fees and carrier charges GBP309.00
More information
European fuel surcharge
British Airways applies a fuel surcharge.

This charge is based on flight duration and applies to all passengers, including children and infants travelling on British Airways operated international and domestic services.

Total taxes, fees and carrier charges per person GBP561.55
*Government and/or airport taxes are refundable, however some countries will apply a Value Added Tax, Sales Tax or equivalent, which will only be refunded on fully flexible tickets.

In line with the fare rules, a refund of fuel surcharge can be made on fully flexible tickets only with unused flights in your itinerary.

On US flights, British Airways imposes a carrier charge as part of the total price of the airline ticket, which you may see stated separately in certain displays during the booking process or on your final e-ticket receipt. In line with the fare rules, a refund of the carrier charge can be made on fully flexible tickets only with unused flights in your itinerary.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Certain countries (i.e. Japan) require airlines to be completely transparent about what carrier charges are. Consequently all airlines call them fuel surcharges if ticketed from one of those countries. Maybe Scotland has similar rules.

The change from Fuel Surcharges to Carrier Charges was lead by BA and in anticipation of changing law in the US. Carrier surcharges need no specification and do not have to be explained. There is an article about this somewhere on another thread about this.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Certain countries (i.e. Japan) require airlines to be completely transparent about what carrier charges are. Consequently all airlines call them fuel surcharges if ticketed from one of those countries. Maybe Scotland has similar rules.

The change from Fuel Surcharges to Carrier Charges was lead by BA and in anticipation of changing law in the US. Carrier surcharges need no specification and do not have to be explained. There is an article about this somewhere on another thread about this.
As I commented in another thread, I've also noticed that all the dummy bookings I've made recently clearly reference a fuel surcharge (specifically ex LHR/LGW). So lets not give Scotland too much credit for promoting transparency here :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.