Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Class I in MH - how can I tell before I book

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite

I had a flight LHR-KUL-CGK-HKG-LHR in August

LHR-KUL in CW with BA
KUL-CGK in Business with MH
CGK-HKG in Business with CX
HKG-LHR in F with BA

All Tier Points and Avios posted except the tier points for the KUL-CGK segment. On query with BA I was told initially that the booking was in Economy. Having scanned my BP to Newcastle I was told the booking was in Business but in Booking Class I and that does not attract Tier Points.

Okay I can stand the loss of 40 TP and put it down to experience but how do I tell when making a booking on BA.com what the tier points are going to be before I make the booking. The above booking was made via BA.com

Any advice for the future would be welcome.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In the booking process, once you select the flight, just click on the left where it says "more details" and alongside plane type, etc, you will see something like "books into I (business) - books into A (first)".

You can then check on the executive club pages how many TPs/Avios you will get for the flight.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Thank you for a prompt and helpful reply.
However following BA's reply I looked at the calculator on the TP for the trip showing MH as the airline and it was not showing an I booking class. If I put the airline in as BA then it did have an I booking class but that showed 40 TPs.
It still does.
Is this one of the famous IT glitches?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:32 pm

No, it's correct. I class isn't shown for MH because it's not eligible for earning any TPs or avios.

It would be helpful, however, if the calculator included a little asterisk note to highlight this.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
No, it's correct. I class isn't shown for MH because it's not eligible for earning any TPs or avios.

It would be helpful, however, if the calculator included a little asterisk note to highlight this.
It would be better if all booking classes were shown in the calculator and those that do not attract Avios and/or TPs show 0 as the value. Less chance of confusion.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks Orbitmic, Ldnn1 and Tobias-UK for your help
I am slowly getting educated in the ways of BA
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why BA does not allow you to earn TPs on I class fares with MH? You earn them on every other partner (I think at least).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This post on a blog may give you a method of finding boking classes on the MH webiste when booking.

http://flystaytravel.com/how-to-find...lines-flights/

For avios and TP earning in economy on MH:
- L, V, S, K, M, Y, B, and H earn avios and TPs
- N, Q, O, and G earn nothing

For avios and TP earning in business on MH:
- J, C, D, and Z earn avios and TPs
- I earns nothing

For avios and TP earning in first on MH:
- F and A ean avios and TPs
- P earns nothing
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Swibbz
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why BA does not allow you to earn TPs on I class fares with MH? You earn them on every other partner (I think at least).
It's MH rather than BA that doesn't award the points. The reasoning is that I class is their cheap as chips airport-upgrade class. However, they seem to be oblivious (or just don't care) that it's also a selling class used for business class connections from other partners, like QR and BA.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by Swibbz
I don't think its so much a case of BA not allowing it, but rather MH not "paying" BA for it (however the cross alliance "payments" work?).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
For avios and TP earning in economy on MH:
- L, V, S, K, M, Y, B, and H earn avios and TPs
- N, Q, O, and G earn nothing

For avios and TP earning in business on MH:
- J, C, D, and Z earn avios and TPs
- I earns nothing

For avios and TP earning in first on MH:
- F and A ean avios and TPs
- P earns nothing
For anyone curious about booking classes on other airlines, one quick route is to look at the graphics in the post in the sticky: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24088166-post5.html (and see also the quick reference table linked to from my signature). If it's not listed as earning, it doesn't earn.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
It's MH rather than BA that doesn't award the points. The reasoning is that I class is their cheap as chips airport-upgrade class. However, they seem to be oblivious (or just don't care) that it's also a selling class used for business class connections from other partners, like QR and BA.
Ah interesting... well I guess the result is all of us avoid them whenever possible.

I'm sure there's a cost analysis on their side somewhere that justifies the revenue loss
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:13 am

Is I on MH considered an "award" in Business Class... that's why it isn't awarding Avios and TPs?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Is I on MH considered an "award" in Business Class... that's why it isn't awarding Avios and TPs?
It's the code used for the MHUpgrade program - which probably explains it.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC, Iberia+
MH I and Q class TP earning?

Bump!

Wondered if the I class situation had changed? Friend had I class ticket credited with 40TPs.

Also, does Q remain zero-earning?

All research or insider knowledge welcome...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.