Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will BA ever follow? (LH shorthaul Broadband)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver

Lufthansa plans to offer broadband access on short and medium-haul flights
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34314225
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Haven't BA already indicated that internet access is coming to the short haul fleet?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Would be great if they offered Streaming to Your Own Device.

For CE it would be a nice benefit for status pax and CE and would be a good money spinner for PAX in Y.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Haven't BA already indicated that internet access is coming to the short haul fleet?
Still yet to hear anything concrete beyond some initial 'background noise'.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:16 am

I may not be in the majority but in this day and age I actually enjoy not being contactable by email while flying.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by fnl111
I may not be in the majority but in this day and age I actually enjoy not being contactable by email while flying.
Fully agree ^

And the fact that the new seating layout on shorthaul means that is almost impossible (for me) to use even a relatively small (13-inch) laptop comfortably.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Then turn your device off. It's not compulsory to receive/read emails if broadband is available.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
Have you actually ever been on a plane with decent internet access? Whenever I have tried it on other airlines (most recently Norwegian), it has been so slow as to not be anything more than a gimmick, and certainly not something that I would pay extra for.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cerebrito
Have you actually ever been on a plane with decent internet access? Whenever I have tried it on other airlines (most recently Norwegian), it has been so slow as to not be anything more than a gimmick, and certainly not something that I would pay extra for.
I've used it on EK, and it's been fine for simple browsing and emails. I've not tried streaming films or similar however.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I agree with you but

For Lufthansa, which will be the first carrier to offer the network - it has done survey work in which two-thirds of customers say good connectivity will influence the airline they choose.
BBC
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
I imagine that if it was something that would affect choice of airline, it would be quite far down the list of considerations after price, airport location, tier points and schedule.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
the longer internet access is NOT available on flights is a good thing as far as I am concerned
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
BA announced wifi on shorthaul together with the recent other short haul cabin enhancements. All enhancements have been implemented (a.o. new seats, extra row in order to enhance the private space and intimate lighting) but not the wifi. I do not know if wifi on shorthaul is very useful for many. I could use it on longhaul. AA has decent wifi at a reasonable price. It is even free for AMEX platinum CH's.
As others have said, you are no obliged to pay for it and to connect.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
the longer internet access is NOT available on flights is a good thing as far as I am concerned
I see it as the way forward as long they're able to provide a decent service at reasonable cost. Judging by my recent Iberia experience that seems a long way off.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cerebrito
Yes, the A321T that AA fly transcon has perfectly good wifi that is fast enough for emails and regular web browsing as you would on the ground. It won't do video streaming, etc. but then I doubt anyone really needs that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.