Wiki Posts
Search

Long stopover baggage question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC GR, EK Skywards BL, QR Privelege Club SL
Long stopover baggage question

Hello, I have a layover with BA at Heathrow (both T5) for around 12 hours. I would like to go into London during the day, and I would like to kindly ask for your expertise regarding these two questions:

1. Can I collect my luggage after I arrive at Heathrow, and check it in again for my second flight? Can I request this specifically at my departure airport rather than to have my luggage checked straight through?

2. What is the actual maximum number of hours between connecting flights for luggage to be checked straight through? In other words, what is the maximum number of hours between connecting flights, before airport check-in staff ask you to collect luggage at transit and check it in again?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by wtjulianchan
Hello, I have a layover with BA at Heathrow (both T5) for around 12 hours. I would like to go into London during the day, and I would like to kindly ask for your expertise regarding these two questions:

1. Can I collect my luggage after I arrive at Heathrow, and check it in again for my second flight? Can I request this specifically at my departure airport rather than to have my luggage checked straight through?

2. What is the actual maximum number of hours between connecting flights for luggage to be checked straight through? In other words, what is the maximum number of hours between connecting flights, before airport check-in staff ask you to collect luggage at transit and check it in again?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.
Hello,

1. As long as you can convince you really need the stuffs inside the bag(s) then the check-in agent MIGHT short-check your bag(s) at Heathrow. I don't think many agents do this nowadays given the fact that people ditch their connections all the time. Bear in mind that short-checking bags may mean extra handling fees.

2. If I am right the max hours is 24 hours. I think at T5 they store your bags in the system as long as your connecting flight is on the same booking or airline has an interline agreement with the other airline.

Hope these answer helps
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cysyuen
Hello,

1. As long as you can convince you really need the stuffs inside the bag(s) then the check-in agent MIGHT short-check your bag(s) at Heathrow. I don't think many agents do this nowadays given the fact that people ditch their connections all the time. Bear in mind that short-checking bags may mean extra handling fees.

2. If I am right the max hours is 24 hours. I think at T5 they store your bags in the system as long as your connecting flight is on the same booking or airline has an interline agreement with the other airline.

Hope these answer helps
Many thanks for your quick reply, there seem to be different answers online so I was trying to find out BA's exact policy on this.

1. That sounds a bit annoying, so I see, it depends on the agent at check-in... and if it is permitted in the end, re-checking in luggage at LHR hopefully wouldn't be a problem?

2. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by wtjulianchan
Many thanks for your quick reply, there seem to be different answers online so I was trying to find out BA's exact policy on this.

1. That sounds a bit annoying, so I see, it depends on the agent at check-in... and if it is permitted in the end, re-checking in luggage at LHR hopefully wouldn't be a problem?

2. Thanks for the info.
1. I personally do not see a problem in this case. However I have never done it before... the more experienced FTers will help you!

2. Thank you ^_^
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Is there a reason why you need access to your bags at LHR?

If not just show your onward ticket at your departure airport and they will do the necessary with the tags.

ISTBC but unless you are fjying in first or business class then they won't accept bags more than 3 hours before scheduled departure if you do collect them and re-check them.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Is there a reason why you need access to your bags at LHR?

If not just show your onward ticket at your departure airport and they will do the necessary with the tags.

ISTBC but unless you are fjying in first or business class then they won't accept bags more than 3 hours before scheduled departure if you do collect them and re-check them.
I'd like to do some shopping and I think it would be more than the hand luggage allowance. And it's OK I certainly won't be back at the airport over 3 hours before the departure of my onward flight.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You've used the terms layover (which does not exist), stopover and connection, in the same post.

Unless you have made a special effort to book a stopover, you are on a connection at <24 hours. This means that your bags will be checked to their final destination. You may be able to convinced a helpful agent, but you should not count on it and there is nothing you can do in advance to make this happen.

Unfortunately, agents here stories every day and you are just stuck.

There is nothing which prohibits you from adding a bag at LHR and that may be what you want to do anyway.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
And it's the 24 hour mark that makes the difference? I have an SFO-LHR flight that arrives at 14:45 on January 2nd. My connecting flight to ATH is at 07:55 on January 3rd. I actually don't mind not having access to my bags, but it will change a bit what I bring in the carry-on.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You've used the terms layover (which does not exist), stopover and connection, in the same post.

Unless you have made a special effort to book a stopover, you are on a connection at <24 hours. This means that your bags will be checked to their final destination. You may be able to convinced a helpful agent, but you should not count on it and there is nothing you can do in advance to make this happen.

Unfortunately, agents here stories every day and you are just stuck.

There is nothing which prohibits you from adding a bag at LHR and that may be what you want to do anyway.
Thanks for the explanation, and yes what you suggested at the end is probably the best idea so I'll do that, which makes things easier. It means I don't need to worry or take risks. ^
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A stopover is >24 hours, a connection is <24 hours. You have a connection.

You can request your bags back, which is more likely for an overnight. You could also, perhaps, request one bag back for the overnight stay and one checked through.

Be sure to verify how your bags have been checked and repack accordingly, be prepared to pull the overnight items out and carry them with you.

If you have sufficient luggage allowance, appropriate type of bag (perhaps a folding duffel), and suitable shopping (perhaps non-fragile items), you could carry a bag and check another bag in at LHR. You can always add bags during an itinerary up to the maximum of your allowance.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Is this the return portion of your ticket? Or is the ticket AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA, and you intend to collect your bags on the first passage through LHR?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
A stopover is >24 hours, a connection is <24 hours. You have a connection.

You can request your bags back, which is more likely for an overnight. You could also, perhaps, request one bag back for the overnight stay and one checked through.

Be sure to verify how your bags have been checked and repack accordingly, be prepared to pull the overnight items out and carry them with you.

If you have sufficient luggage allowance, appropriate type of bag (perhaps a folding duffel), and suitable shopping (perhaps non-fragile items), you could carry a bag and check another bag in at LHR. You can always add bags during an itinerary up to the maximum of your allowance.
Thanks for the correction, however mine is a daytime not overnight connection (if that makes any difference) so the purpose of getting the bag is for shopping use. I think from the replies so far I'll just take an extra bag for check in at Heathrow.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Is this the return portion of your ticket? Or is the ticket AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA, and you intend to collect your bags on the first passage through LHR?
Yes it's an AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA ticket and I intend to collect my bags on the second passage through LHR.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:18 pm

I have a variation on this question. I am flying LHR-AMS on BA and then AMS-DOH on QR on a separate ticket, I know BA is good at interlining luggage between separate tickets on OW (and it should help that I am OWE and in J), but I was thinking of flying out the evening before and having an evening in AMS rather than catching the first BA flight of the day (especially in winter). Will BA through-check luggage with an overnight in AMS on separate tickets?

I see that the OW website says
If the time between connecting oneworld flights is more than 12 hours, you may need to collect your luggage on arrival and check-in again with the outbound carrier.
but I have a suspicion is that this is an American rule rather than a universal one. Does anyone have experience in this situation?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Have you maxed out your allowable checked baggage? I do this with great frequency - check bag through to final destination, leave my hand baggage at Left Luggage in T5, and then, if needed, just check an extra foldable duffle when arriving back at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.