Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-HNL My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,VS Gold,Hilton Diamond
DUB-HNL My thoughts

Right, just finished DUB-HNL for holiday rather than TP run.Her are some of my thoughts.There were four of us,me,mrs dandare,15 yo and 9 yo all travelling in business
I flew outbound ta with BA and back AA so i am comparing the two.
Lounges
BA LHR.Mrs dandare and i both got treatments in spa.
Food bacon rolls coffee and bucks fizz(of sorts)
AA Admirals club LAX.Food crisps,crudites and soup.More hot food for purchase.
Drinks,Draught beers and house cocktails inc.more exotic cocktails avail for drinks vouchers given at clubhouse entance.
The drinks vouchers were taken at the bar about half the time and handed back the rest of the time.
Flights
BA 380 seats rear cabin upper deck,Cabin appeared cramped seats ok,cabin was very hot had to ask three different occasions to turn temp down,
AA 777 seats front cabin with just 2 rows between bulkhead and first,Way better seats felt almostt like first on BA!
Food Was good on both flights although id say slightly edged by AA
Service was good on both flights very professional.
For anyone thinking of doing this with kids i would really recommend overnight in the U.S.Its a REALLY long flight with a 3.5 connection in LAX the kids were dead on their feet on arrival in HNL.
Overall HNL is great we had a great time kids and Mrs got instant sliver.
Sorry if this not uo to normal trip report standards just realising how difficult it is!
Any Questions please ask
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Thanks! I always feel guilty for not posting a TR - too lazy, but this sums it up nicely.
Yeah, I think most of us on here agree that the AA seat - and service in my experience - is superior to BA. I'm converted. Glad you enjoyed, I'm over in December.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
What was your honest opinion of the recliner seats on the LAX-HNL? I know they generally seem unpopular, and for good reason when you see some other comparisons, but are they really that bad for sleeping on the 5-6hr flight? I have only ever sampled usage on a sub 3hr flight and thought it was decent enough
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
What was your honest opinion of the recliner seats on the LAX-HNL? I know they generally seem unpopular, and for good reason when you see some other comparisons, but are they really that bad for sleeping on the 5-6hr flight? I have only ever sampled usage on a sub 3hr flight and thought it was decent enough
I tried the 2 class A321's last week (they run SOME of the LAX-HNL flights) and they're reasonably comfortable in F even for the 5 1/2 hour run both ways. Certainly superior IMHO to the 757 22/24F config planes. If you can select those instead of the it's an improvement.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

On the way from Lax we flew on the 320 and had seat 1a,1c,2a,2c the bulkhead in front of row 1 restricted your feet and row 2 was better.
The 320 has ok for sleeping and had better recline that the 757,also the 320 had personal tv whilst the 757 just had a screen on the bulkhead.
On the way out we were almost too tired to sleep! and just couldn't seem to get comfortable but maybe thats just us!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by dandare
but maybe thats just us!
No, definitely not just you...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by henkybaby
No, definitely not just you...
Ahh for a short person like me 5'7" I can sleep on anything 320,321,737,757 you name it
Well except for US 767 with the sloping seats, I am sure I grabbed the bloke next to me in my sleep at one point as I slipped downhill!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Nothing wrong with a fair and concise report. Huge difference at LAX between Admirals and Flagship a T4. Both significantly inferior to the Flounge over at Bradley where they would likely have allowed you to guest in the whole family under Qantas rules. So something to think about for Golds flying back to London from the Pacific - fly back out on AA, back on BA....
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Purim
Nothing wrong with a fair and concise report. Huge difference at LAX between Admirals and Flagship a T4. Both significantly inferior to the Flounge over at Bradley where they would likely have allowed you to guest in the whole family under Qantas rules. So something to think about for Golds flying back to London from the Pacific - fly back out on AA, back on BA....
Even the J lounge is better than the AC.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:53 pm

When I returned via JFK, the nice lady in Admiral Club told me that I could use the flagship but the rest of the family couldn't. When I explained to her that I wouldn't be needing access, she "sneaked" the rest of the family in. Nice gesture.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'm at LAX having just returned from HNL. Of the two class A321 & 757 (did one each way) the A321 was more comfortable; I'd say 2B best; row 1 has bulk head and no leg room / storage. Seat 2A has a box (to do with entertainment?) under seat in front so less room for leg movement! The crew out on A321 were really proactive; non stop drink topping up and seemed. 757 just now was not as good. The recline is OKon both, but didn't have more than 1.5 hour sleep on either flight.

I also did the LA and HNL in one day with stopover for 3.5 hours as above. Very tiring even with first leg F A380. Don't think the amount drunk over the long day helped!!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I (wrongly it seems) assumed that it was standard practice to have a stopover outbound to HNL. I must say that would always be my choice although I can fairly comfortably manage the return without one taking the morning HNL-LAX connecting to the AA 77W LAX-LHR the same afternoon.

My preference is a stopover in DFW outbound followed by the morning 763 to arrive in HNL at lunchtime. They're really quite dated now but still superior to anything out of LAX IMO.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Sep 3, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 am
Original Poster

TBH i didn't think it would be as brutal as it was to do it in one day.especially with two kids.
we had spent a couple of days in Dublin,flew back to LhR in the eve and then went home(30 mins) ready for the next day!
Anyone who does this as solely a TP run i doff my cap to them.
My main problem was that when i saw this fare i jumped on it without too much research,we'd always had Hawaii on our bucket list.
However saying that if its available in the school summer holidays next year will book again!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I (wrongly it seems) assumed that it was standard practice to have a stopover outbound to HNL. I must say that would always be my choice although I can fairly comfortably manage the return without one taking the morning HNL-LAX connecting to the AA 77W LAX-LHR the same afternoon.

My preference is a stopover in DFW outbound followed by the morning 763 to arrive in HNL at lunchtime. They're really quite dated now but still superior to anything out of LAX IMO.
Depends. If you do a connection on the east coast and then on the west coast I don't think it is possible to do your TATL & transcon and get to LAX or PHX in time for the last flight to HNL. So you end up having to do an overnight stop somewhere enroute.

However if you do LHR-LAX or PHX direct (as I did once) then I would say keep going to HNL on the same day.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
We did this last week. One thing, its a long way in a haul from LHR after overnight.

I'm never sure of the planes, the A320 on the outbound, but a B757? Or 767 back?

While the seatback entertainment on the A320 was nice, the seats seemed a lot smaller. On the way back, with the little CRT overhead monitor (as opposed to the TFT ones direct ahead I'd seen on JFK to LAS and LAS to ORD), that wasn't great, but the seats were pretty damn big compared to the A320. Sure neither are lie flat, but when people reclined in front of me on the way back I didn't worry. Could stretch out.

Just saying. The crew missed the pre takeoff drink on the A320, burnt the nuts and the bread as well, due to unfamiliarity to the ovens as well... Lack of the drink seemed to be the most offensive to me there....

I now refer to the lounges in AA as flagshit and badmirals lounges...

T'was funny to see an entitled AA status passenger clearly having been denied a standby upgrade to first, when their friends got one, being all annoyed and stuffing their luggage in the first class overheads (considered complaining to the staff, but what the hey). They also ligged a drink off their friends in first class as well, a cheek I suppose. Still, they were heard whinging in the toilets afterwards about how they should have got upgrades. What? Over paying passengers (though must admit, if I calculated how much I paid for first on that flight, it was probably less than them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.