Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I need to correct my previous photo, I've actually tried to get a LHR version many times but until today I've kept being seat shifted. However I've finally encountered the LHR version and it looks so different to the LGW version that the difference can only be explained by being handed the wrong menu - I don't do meal pre-ordering. So this LHR sabzi version is indeed closer to a Waitrose ready meal. I can take curries quite hot, but at a certain point I think it's unsubtle, so I'd ideally prefer one to be on the "mild side of medium". And this curry did work quite well in that respect, I would certainly have it again. This being a late evening flight, the lighting does nothing to flatter the photo.
Damnnit - I took a photo of it just to post in this thread and forgot!

I found it OK but the rice was almost crispy in places given how overcooked it was. Probably still better than the beef option.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks cws and MPH1980 for the update! Very helpful!!

It's a bit of a shame because I must say the lgw version looked far more appetising to me, but I am personally grateful because as I mentioned, in my case, that makes the difference between choosing the curry (my usual 'safe' option) or the beef for the first time in many flights, and thus gives me the courage to try the latter! I'll likely regret it, but would rather take the risk when I don't think the alternatives would be too great anyway!

PS: cws, sorry your clearly excellent streak of good luck has been - undoubtedly temporarily - interrupted, hope you get a new pool of the unexpected treats with this new month!

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 1, 2016 at 1:15 am
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Premium Economy chicken sabzi

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Thank you. That's not what I envisaged : I was imagining a proper chicken curry with rice and diced/curried veg (a la Waitrose £10 meal deal) rather than an 'Indian-style Sunday Lunch'.

So, dish ordered. I shall endeavour to post a picture.
Ta dah !

Bit of a disappointment really, it was bland and uninteresting, not up to Waitrose quality and more your Asda £2.49 ready meal.

The premise is simple : there are 2 mains on the WTP menu (chicken and beef) and you can preorder one of them to make sure you get your choice.

BA still managed to mess it up.

I was first asked "did you order a special meal, the fish ?", then it was delivered with the special meals well in advance of the main meal service, which meant I had long finished all 3 courses before I was offered any bread or wine-with-your-meal.

All a bit rubbish really for a 'premium' service.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Ta dah !
OK, thanks for that and the close up pic. I'm definitely sticking with the beef. I'll report after tasting it tomorrow. I might try to give the crew bambi eyes and ask if they could cook it as little as possible....
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I love that chicken dish, oh well.
Bread should have been offered with the meal, wine should have been offered with the bar round.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by HilFly
Is the chicken in the tartlet, or is it chicken with a ham hock and potato tartlet?
I can confirm it's the latter. The tartlet itself is pretty small, but the whole meal was pretty tasty, reminded me somewhat of Christmas dinner in a good way.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
BTW, the above is the same menu in First on BA 0217 LHR-IAD in mid November.
Slightly off topic, and possibly a question for CIHY, does anyone know if/will the crew have information on whether or not the cheeses are pasteurized?

We are also on the 217 mid-November and see the same menu. Oddly, pre-order is not available for the 216 the previous week?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
AHB260 pre order is only available exLON - so you wouldn't be able to order pre departing Washington
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AHB260
Slightly off topic, and possibly a question for CIHY, does anyone know if/will the crew have information on whether or not the cheeses are pasteurized?
There is often at least one unpasteurised cheese in First, but it is clearly identified on the menu in two places - the product description and in small print at the foot of the section. Just watch the wording on some goats' cheeses, there are halfway houses there. Chef's Chat, held in the galley, would be a further confirmation. I guess the crew could swap a cheese item from CW if necessary. CCR LHR has one unpasteurised cheese item this month.

Pre-order is currently only available departing from London.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by AHB260

We are also on the 217 mid-November and see the same menu. Oddly, pre-order is not available for the 216 the previous week?
Yes we will have this information so just ask.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
AHB260 pre order is only available exLON - so you wouldn't be able to order pre departing Washington
Well that makes sense then. I mis-read the first part of this thread and thought it was available between London and the destinations listed, either direction. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by orbitmic
OK, thanks for that and the close up pic. I'm definitely sticking with the beef. I'll report after tasting it tomorrow. I might try to give the crew bambi eyes and ask if they could cook it as little as possible....
Eagerly awaiting your report.. In WTP later this month; I have the chicken sabzi or "Seared fillet of British beef with salt beef and buttered cabbage.." and am trying to decide as am keen to avoid shoe leather...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Does anyone have sight of the December menus for Calgary please?

Also, does the menu get festive the week before Xmas or do BA not bother?

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Does anyone have sight of the December menus for Calgary please?
Also, does the menu get festive the week before Xmas or do BA not bother?

Thanks
We flew to Calgary in 24 Dec 2014 and there was a turkey main & Xmas pudding, Going again this year and hoping for the same
Menu available 28 days before travel for pre order.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Castle25
We flew to Calgary in 24 Dec 2014 and there was a turkey main & Xmas pudding, Going again this year and hoping for the same
Menu available 28 days before travel for pre order.
We're flying on the 21st, so was wondering what culinary delights await.

I suppose I can wait a couple of weeks to see what pops up in MMB, just wondered if anyone had the scoop on what was likely to be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.