Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Iberia flight - Avios part payment and earning Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Hi

Following on from my last post looking into booking LHR-MAD-LPA now and it all seems to be operated by Iberia for the times I'm choosing on 29th March. I wanted to part pay with Avios to use them up and the booking is not giving me the usual option that I'm used to seeing to part pay (I'm logged in on the BA site). Are you not allowed to use them on a connecting flight or is it because it's not operated by BA?

2nd query - will I not earn any TP or Avios then? Or do I have to book with Iberia and register with them - seems a bit daft as they're supposed to be partners.
many thanks from a novice.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
BAEC part pay has to be BA operated flights. Iberia Plus can be used for part pay with IB operated flights. You can earn in whatever programme you want (change the earning programme after booking if necessary)

Part pay is generally not considered a good use of Avios either way
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Ok think I understand, I only have BA Avios and a BA account so should I book with BA to earn the new Avios as I might not use Iberia again?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
Ok think I understand, I only have BA Avios and a BA account so should I book with BA to earn the new Avios as I might not use Iberia again?
Who you make the booking though is only relevant for the part pay, you have to book through the operating carrier and their programme

In terms of earning it doesn't matter who you book through and who is operating, you'll earn the same in BAEC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.