Search

Using my GUFs: CW to F or WT+ to CW?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Using my GUFs: CW to F or WT+ to CW?

Hi:

I realise that this is quite a subjective question but some insights about the pricing matters would be helpful for my decision-making.

I have a GUF2 and two GUF1s to use by the middle of next year. I'm currently thinking about booking four of the c.£1000 CW flights to the US for February mid-term next year and using the GUFs to upgrade to F for all of them.

The alternative is to hold out for a good value WT+ fare and use the GUFs to upgrade to J. My question is (a) is it likely that there will be a WT+ sale at some stage over the next few months covering the US and that February timeframe, and (b) what price range would a 'good value' WT+ fare look like? (If it's south of £750 then it becomes more tempting given I'll save a grand or so overall; north of £750 it becomes less attractive.)

Related to the above, is it likely that any such WT+ fare sale coming up in the next few months would cover travel for Summer 2016?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think that normal WTP fares for the U.S. are around £950-1000 for NYC and then increasing the further you go across. I think in the current sale they are around £820 and that is as low as they tend to go. I don't this they are typically as low as £750 to NYC even in WTP so the current sale prices are probably as good as you will see.

My own longhaul travel over the last few years has consisted a lot of WTP sale fares and then either GUF'ed or UuA'ed to CW. For example I got a return to NRT in WTP UuA'ed to CW and including domestic connections last year for about £1050.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Karfa that's very helpful indeed and helped me decide on what to do.

So, with that in mind, I found some flights on the current ILN8S4T1 ex-DUB to LAX and back. Price came back inline with expectations GBP1221.

However, I appear to have a slight problem with the GUF availability. On the inbound flight the availability is F8 A3 (according to KVS). I need four seats. Am I right in thinking that there must be availability in A when upgrading using GUFs from CW?

Is there any room for leeway here (probably not)? I was planning to book this through Amex since it is my understanding that a revenue booking couldn't be done directly with BA if there is no redemption availability in the higher class.

Thanks
K
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
You are correct that there needs to be A availability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.