Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Club Europe Disappointment

I'm aware many of you are naysayers when it comes to Club Europe, but as someone who is quite tall, broad shouldered and claustrophobic, it's a big plus for me. I generally consider it a worthwhile upgrade if I can get it for a good price.

However, my recent return to Marseille with my parents was, food wise, a total disappointment - and I'm now reconsidering my stance.

Outbound - breakfast - parents in 4A and 4C got their cooked breakfast. By the time she reached me in 4D - only continental left. She did apologise. I spoke to BA afterwards and they gave me 3k avios.

Return - afternoon tea disappointment - I usually hold afternoon tea in fairly low regard anyway, but this was the worst I've had. My mother doesn't like sweet/fatty things so wasn't too keen on the idea of sandwiches and scones. She requested a special meal (asian vegetarian) and unfortunately BA failed at this request with the excuse that the plane was 15 minutes late so they didn't have time to load it. She therefore ate next to nothing on board. Additionally, my father and I had afternoon tea - the scones were nice but the sandwiches were curled and the bread stale.

I know these might seem pernickety, but when paying £lots for a premium cabin this is just not good enough - half the purpose is to have a decent meal on board - which we didn't get on either flight.

It also highlights the misery that is afternoon tea - which I still regard as simply not good enough. I have a reasonably high opinion of the evening meals and the cooked breakfast - not world class but a decent offering IMO. Afternoon tea does not come close - and the real tease was that this flight's scheduled departure was 16:45 - and landing 18:40 origin time - which counts as dinner time if you ask me.

I've sent another grumpy email to BA - but it's a little disheartening when I've had a good few decent CE flights on my own, for it to fail when I'm hosting my parents. What compensation would BAFT search for in this instance? Avios are all well and good but 3k means very little really - it's not good enough when you're paying a considerable amount more than economy, or even an LCC IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by hcuk94

when paying £lots for a premium cabin

out of interest, how much did you pay? and how much was ET, ie. what was your premium cost?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
whilst I understand why you feel let down, in the scheme of things its not really the end of the world is it? There is going to be a "miss" amongst the "hits" from time to time in ANY big business.

So far this year I have been disappointed with BA Apple Microsoft John Lewis Selfridges BT Vodafone Sky Virgin Lufthansa United Emirates Post Office Amazon BMW FGW London Underground Paris Metro. Café Nero Jamies Italian......

But I have also at some point been absolutely delighted with (nearly) all of them on many occasions also (well not United)! Very large business cannot get everything right every time unfortunately.

We all make mistakes

Where its unforgivable is medical procedures and surgery of course....no room for off days there (although it still does happen!)

Take it on the chin old man. If it happens repeatedly take your business elsewhere
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You're not going to get any cash out of them.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
out of interest, how much did you pay? and how much was ET, ie. what was your premium cost?
My parents booked together and I booked seperately - we all part paid with avios though:

Parents (2 people):
Payment Total GBP 424.82
Date 14 Dec 2014
Avios debited 30,000
Saving GBP 200.00

Me (1 person):
Payment Total GBP 398.21
Date 17 Jan 2015
Avios debited 15,000
Saving GBP 100.00

I couldn't tell you what the economy cost at the time was, but iirc it was considerably less - no more than £250 return per person.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mutu
whilst I understand why you feel let down, in the scheme of things its not really the end of the world is it? There is going to be a "miss" amongst the "hits" from time to time in ANY big business.

So far this year I have been disappointed with BA Apple Microsoft John Lewis Selfridges BT Vodafone Sky Virgin Lufthansa United Emirates Post Office Amazon BMW FGW London Underground Paris Metro. Café Nero Jamies Italian......

But I have also at some point been absolutely delighted with (nearly) all of them on many occasions also (well not United)! Very large business cannot get everything right every time unfortunately.

We all make mistakes

Where its unforgivable is medical procedures and surgery of course....no room for off days there (although it still does happen!)

Take it on the chin old man. If it happens repeatedly take your business elsewhere
I can't argue with that - do appreciate I'm being whiny, just felt let down. But yes, in the grand scheme of things it's nothing
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by hcuk94
I can't argue with that - do appreciate I'm being whiny, just felt let down. But yes, in the grand scheme of things it's nothing
That's the spirit my friend!! Live long and prosper
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP says that he pays to fly CE because he is broad-shouldered and claustrophobic. CE takes care of that (or at least alleviates it). So, I guess that this makes it work whatever the premium us for CE to this particular passenger.

The complaints are about the food. I really don't think that there is anybody seriously suggesting that they view the CE premium as good value for the food, whether it's chicken or egg.

Sure, the catering loading was sloppy, but commercial aviation is about the best for the most. When aircraft are running late, the non-essential stuff may slip. Better to get 120 people home ontime rather than 1 slightly better fed.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP says that he pays to fly CE because he is broad-shouldered and claustrophobic. CE takes care of that (or at least alleviates it). So, I guess that this makes it work whatever the premium us for CE to this particular passenger.

The complaints are about the food. I really don't think that there is anybody seriously suggesting that they view the CE premium as good value for the food, whether it's chicken or egg.

Sure, the catering loading was sloppy, but commercial aviation is about the best for the most. When aircraft are running late, the non-essential stuff may slip. Better to get 120 people home ontime rather than 1 slightly better fed.
*Grumble* I guess you're right.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1

I continue to be amazed at how forgiving people are of BA service failures on this board. At the same time whenever a pax looks for a little leeway it invariably is dealt with by "you should have read the 130 points in the T & Cs" or "you should take your bit of paper with you because everyone knows that MMB is wrong" etc. etc.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by strichener
I continue to be amazed at how forgiving people are of BA service failures on this board. At the same time whenever a pax looks for a little leeway it invariably is dealt with by "you should have read the 130 points in the T & Cs" or "you should take your bit of paper with you because everyone knows that MMB is wrong" etc. etc.
Most (not all) of the 'senior' FT people here with lots of posts are BA die hards. They are not really accepting any BA criticism. That results in many newcomers having less bias towards BA not posting any longer. That said, some useful info is posted here for everybody's reading, just do not criticize BA.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
BA market Club Europe as a premium cabin, and therefore lack of food choice/not catering for pre-advised dietary requirements/serving poor quality sandwiches/running out of meals (!) is simply not good enough. There is no excuse for it and BA should be grovelling trying to make it right to customers who experience this rather than the other way around - having customers accept this poor level of service.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
So, whilst I don't consider myself a BA apologiest, I am pragmatic about what CE is and what it isn't. no matter what the marketing bumph says, it's not a spacious premium cabin and it can often be had for less than £100 more each way which brings with it a number of benefits: lounge access, fast track security, extra space (the OP mentioned that as the main selling point), food (rather than crisps) etc so I don't buy into the "paid significanlty more and this is all I got" argument.

HOWEVER, for a dose of "how the other half lives", my brother (who is a LH Senator - we have a playful 'family feud' on Star Alliance vs OneWorld), flew LH J FRA - OPO on Sunday (which I assume would be a BA Band 3 equiv) and here's what they had for lunch (it was a 1.40pm depature) which I must admit beats B3 and B4 meals that I can think of.

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Vibguy:'Most (not all) of the 'senior' FT people here with lots of posts are BA die hards. They are not really accepting any BA criticism. That results in many newcomers having less bias towards BA not posting any longer. That said, some useful info is posted here for everybody's reading, just do not criticize BA'.

Difficult to say if /how much people are put off by this, but there does seem a vocal number who pounce on any criticism...almost believing they are supporting a nationally owned 'fly the flag' attitude of decades ago...I find this strange. It's just an airline, with in my experience, some really dedicated staff who are a credit to their organisation and make the journey a really good experience...It's the lack of consistency on certain routes especially I find worrying ;that their quality control measures are not in place...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Having been opup'ed yesterday from JER to LGW, it was nice and the extra space appreciated but it didn't push me to want to buy CE for my next trips. Admittedly it is such a short flight I don't think it is ever needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.