Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to use Avios to book infant award ticket on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

This is for a domestic flight on AA metal.

If I book an "infant" award with my avios, its charges me 10% of the miles for her ticket, but it allows me to select flights that only have 2 seats available (me, wife, and infant traveling) which leads me to believe I'm getting charged 10% for a lap child (which is free on AA.) So, do I have to book an adult award ticket so that she gets her own seat? Will it even let me?

I do not want to have a lap infant. I would prefer getting her her own seat, but cheapest way possible.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:41 pm

Want to book infant award ticket with BA avios

If you want a seat for your infant I would assume its a full fare (or award) ticket. Actual lap child is free on domestic.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
If you want a seat for your infant I would assume its a full fare (or award) ticket. Actual lap child is free on domestic.
Yes, if you want to do lap child don't ticket her with BA, simply call AA once you have made your reservation and say you wish to add a lap child.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I didn't read OP properly, if you want to be guaranteed a seat, you have to pay full price.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by miadeals

If I book an "infant" award with my avios, its charges me 10% of the miles for her ticket, but it allows me to select flights that only have 2 seats available (me, wife, and infant traveling) which leads me to believe I'm getting charged 10% for a lap child (which is free on AA.) So, do I have to book an adult award ticket so that she gets her own seat? Will it even let me?

I do not want to have a lap infant. I would prefer getting her her own seat, but cheapest way possible.
You can either have the infant fly as a lap infant for free and hope for an empty seat next to you to put the car seat in or pay the child fare (which is typically the same as the adult fare but is 75% of the adult fare plus 100% of the taxes and fees on some long haul itineraries paid with cash) and be "guaranteed" a seat (scare quotes only because seats are never technically guaranteed as the airline can involuntarily deny you boarding for a variety of reasons that apply to everyone). Depends on the value you place on the more comfortable experience and marginally better safety of having the child in the car seat (marginally because an accident is so unlikely in commercial aviation -- the child is much safer in a car seat if there is an accident or sudden, strong turbulence, but is still safer unrestrained on a plane than in a car seat in a car overall given the probabilities) compared to the cost of the ticket.

Personally, we usually pay nothing, fly the baby as a lap infant, and hope for an empty seat next to us, of course being fully willing to have her on the lap if there isn't an empty seat. We have pretty good success getting an empty seat through a combination of monitoring the seat map and politely asking the gate agent. Note that Alaska Airlines automatically places a block on an empty seat next to a lap infant, so if Alaska is an option, I fly them. We also choose two seats out of three in some of the least desirable parts of the plane (ie towards the back), figuring the odds are better than the third seat will remain unassigned there than towards the front.

With load factors in excess of 80%, though, if you're not comfortable having your child fly without a seat of his/her own, pay the full fare to buy a seat.

Indeed, certainly do not pay BA's 10% for a lap infant; that is only necessary on international itineraries and serves no purpose at all on a domestic US ticket. (Dunno about domestic UK; perhaps they do require lap infants to be ticketed with the 10% charge and thus charge the same fee for all domestic tickets?)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question is about the BA programme, and how BAEC award bookings are priced for infant seats, I'm going to go ahead and move this over to the BAEC forum. I've also slightly retitled the thread for clarification.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by miadeals

If you want your infant child to have her own seat then you have to book her ticket as an adult. For this you have to call (or follow the procedure detailed by mattolo and dyrewolf in the first thread listed below). If you want her to travel on your lap, do nothing with BA at the moment. After your avios award tickets are issued call AA to add the lap infant for free.
See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ant-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-booking.html
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
You can either have the infant fly as a lap infant for free and hope for an empty seat next to you to put the car seat in or pay the child fare (which is typically the same as the adult fare but is 75% of the adult fare plus 100% of the taxes and fees on some long haul itineraries paid with cash) and be "guaranteed" a seat (scare quotes only because seats are never technically guaranteed as the airline can involuntarily deny you boarding for a variety of reasons that apply to everyone). Depends on the value you place on the more comfortable experience and marginally better safety of having the child in the car seat (marginally because an accident is so unlikely in commercial aviation -- the child is much safer in a car seat if there is an accident or sudden, strong turbulence, but is still safer unrestrained on a plane than in a car seat in a car overall given the probabilities) compared to the cost of the ticket.

Personally, we usually pay nothing, fly the baby as a lap infant, and hope for an empty seat next to us, of course being fully willing to have her on the lap if there isn't an empty seat. We have pretty good success getting an empty seat through a combination of monitoring the seat map and politely asking the gate agent. Note that Alaska Airlines automatically places a block on an empty seat next to a lap infant, so if Alaska is an option, I fly them. We also choose two seats out of three in some of the least desirable parts of the plane (ie towards the back), figuring the odds are better than the third seat will remain unassigned there than towards the front.

With load factors in excess of 80%, though, if you're not comfortable having your child fly without a seat of his/her own, pay the full fare to buy a seat.

Indeed, certainly do not pay BA's 10% for a lap infant; that is only necessary on international itineraries and serves no purpose at all on a domestic US ticket. (Dunno about domestic UK; perhaps they do require lap infants to be ticketed with the 10% charge and thus charge the same fee for all domestic tickets?)
She hasn't given birth yet, but we will have to book this ticket before we have taken a flight with her for the first time. We just assume that it will be easier to have a seat for an infant than HAVING to hold her with no option for hours on end. And, at worst, because its BA, we could just cancel her ticket and get refunded the avios if, after her first flight, we decide its no problem.

Plus, with 3 seats, no one else is forced to sit next to a baby, my wife can breastfeed in "privacy," etc.

Some good ideas there, thank you.

Could we try booking isle/window towards back, leave the middle open, hope no one takes it? At worst, I'm sure the middle will trade for either the isle or window...

I guess the problem is that uncharacteristically, we're flying holidays for the first time ever (xmas, memorial day.) Probably going to be full flights no matter what - and most likely, overbooked. I guess things do change when you have a kid!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:49 pm
HCA

I assume it can't be done but I think it's no hurt to ask if anyone had try it.

Can we ticket adult award tickets (CX or JAL metal) using AA miles and then use BA miles to ticket infant award ticket? Thanks.

Last edited by HCA; Jan 24, 2016 at 11:06 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I'm in this exact situation where we want an actual seat for the infant. So the only way to get the seat is to incorrectly enter the birth date or year so that Avios recognizes the infant as an adult, but would AA care that the birth year is obviously incorrect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.