Search

MBNA Diamond club credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone know when/if the MBNA Diamond Club credit card deals were going to end. I recently had mine reissued and they came back with the same expiry date (early 2017) and wondered if there'd been any official announcements that I'd missed...

Thanks!

et
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm not aware of any announcements.

IME, if you have a current credit card reissued for some reason (eg the magstripe or chip stops working or you want a contactless card when your old card didn't have it), you often get an expiry date on the new card that is at or around the same time as your old card. It's almost as if the expiry date isn't extended until you reach a new card cycle.

Is that consistent with what you experienced?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm not aware of any announcements.

IME, if you have a current credit card reissued for some reason (eg the magstripe or chip stops working or you want a contactless card when your old card didn't have it), you often get an expiry date on the new card that is at or around the same time as your old card. It's almost as if the expiry date isn't extended until you reach a new card cycle.

Is that consistent with what you experienced?
It seems that about 9 months out they roll you forward again. I got a simple reissue this time and jumped forward to 2018, my previous re-issue had stuck in early 2016.

I don't think there's much to read in to this.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Great, that is consistent with my experience (the reason for reissue was fraud).

I do wonder why they continue to offer it given that it isn't their credit card, they have stopped offering it to new customers (I think, can't see how you'd get one) and it offers such significantly better earn rates. All round it is much much better than my BA Amex (once I've hit my 2-4-1, of course), and you get the flight discount too!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by eurotrotter
I do wonder why they continue to offer it
Depends how many millions of diamond club miles they committed to buying to award to customers.

Also, for BA it is quite good as it enables them to exert some pressure of Amex themselves, if they know what the competition is capable of.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Mine have just been renewed too, new "Diamond Club" design without any reference to BMI and expiry date of 04/18. Still two points per pound on Amex, and 1 per pound on Visa, came as a twin pack. These are the only cards I don't churn !
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
My DC Platinum Mastercard renewed until 07/18. Have had it for years and at 2.5miles/£ it's my first choice card.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay

I doubt the expiry date is relevant. I had an Egg card. Barclays had no problem closing it and moving me to Barcalycard will before the expiry date.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I curse the day I cancelled my bmi AmEx back in 2009. It was the worse day in my (in)frequent flying history, followed closely by the day I used 18,000 of the miles I had loving collected from said card to buy a case of wine

I was young and naive, but I am please to say I have learnt from my mistakes
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by MrMutton
I curse the day I cancelled my bmi AmEx back in 2009.
+1. Still don't know what possessed me to cancel mine. More annoyingly my mother had the Mastercard until a few months ago and went and cancelled it as she is not interested in the miles What I'd have done to have a Mastercard with that level of earning!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
What I'd have done to have a Mastercard with that level of earning!
The places we could have gone...!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Just received new Amex and Visa cards with the expiry date of December 2018!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
My Plus Amex was stolen earlier this year. It was due to expire in December anyway and they just re-issued with a 2017 expiry. First choice card and at 2.5 avios/£ it's the gift that keeps on giving
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Expiry dates on new cards mean nothing in relation to whether the product will continue. More than once, a perfectly good and useful card of mine has been withdrawn long before the expiry date because the provider has decided to withdraw from the market.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Hopefully a positive sign and not clutching at straws in the wind, a couple of days ago I completed a KPMG Nunwood online survey specifically about the Diamond Club card.

It was quite long - 15-20 minutes - and wide ranging, asking about how, where and how often I used the card and what I thought of the benefits, including miles. My answers were mainly in the 8 to 9s, except just the one minimum - use abroad. (I don't use the card abroad except when linked to my Supercard.)

I'd like to think this means that MBNA will continue to take the card seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.