Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2 Cancellation 23/7/15 - Ex-EU Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

BA2 Cancellation 23/7/15 - Ex-EU Questions

My partner and I were booked on the BA2 on 23rd July, which was cancelled. Half an hour on the phone later and we ended up on the BA172 instead, which is fine.

There was no problem checking bags just to LHR from JFK (booked itinerary is to CPH), but I had a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1. I'd really like the original routing credit for this flight (210 TPs/more avios) - but is it a good idea to claim it when I'm going to miss the 4th sector and potentially invite scrutiny on the whole booking?

2. We're going to end up in LHR rather than LCY, 2.5 hours late. Do I have any recourse to claim Heathrow Express tickets from BA, and how should I go about doing this?

3. Long shot I realise, but does EU261 etc apply here? I've read the relevant threads but I'm not clear on how reroutings apply to multi-city itineraries.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It would help to know

1. when were you informed of the cancellation - relevant for the EU261 issue because of the various clauses relating to notification and then the rebooking criteria.

2. when did you book - relavant for the TP issue due to the change in the TPs allocated to the CWLCY service.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. We were informed at midday EST - 7 hours prior to departure. It was booked in December 2014, so before the change.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Given you weren't planning on taking flight to CPH would be grateful BA didn't rebook on AA direct to CPH (which they could do I believe) - one of those where discretion may be advisable on the EU261 front

This from the EU261 thread would seem to be a no - unless the rebooked transatlantic failed to meet the over one hour early test

If the reroute involves departing less than an hour early, AND arriving less than 2 hours late at the original destination airport, there is no compensation, no matter what (Regulation 5.1.c.iii).

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Jul 23, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I certainly agree it could have been worse. I have suggested just going to CPH, but understandably the aforementioned partner is not remotely keen on the idea. So, assuming that's a no go, I was really wondering what my options were in that case.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - it matters because the rebooking criteria and hence compensation critera depend on how much notice you are given. So the position is as lorcancoyle quoted

BA2 scheduled departure 19.00 -arrive 07.15

BA172 scheduled departure 21.20 - arrive 09.30 (predicted 08.42 at the momen)
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Isn't EU261 comp eligibility determined by time arriving at the final destination? Wouldn't that be including the onward connecting flight to CPH in the OP's case? Unless LON was a ticketed stopover, of course.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are only due compensation if you arrive at your destination > 2 hours behind schedule. It seems that the destination is Copenhagen , so what matters is the delay in arriving there, not to a transit point

Assuming that BA has booked from LHR-CPH , so no reason for the airline to pay for the Heathrow Express since your onward flight is from LHR
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah hadn't picked up on CPH being the final destination so what Dave says applies.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
If you arrive at CPH >2hours late then you're entitled to compensation and would be able to claim original routing credit for the BA2 flight.

As you're sneaking off from LHR then you're unlikely to manage the above, and I can't see why they'd give you a refund for HX if you're supposed to be getting another flight (even if that flight is the next day).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
I suspect the OP has provided enough information to allow any lurker from BA to identify the OP and scrutinise the itinerary taken, should BA choose to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.