Search

Exit rows with kids in the party

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Exit rows with kids in the party

Can someone let me know what the policy is on an adult sitting in an exit row if you have a child in your party?

As I understand it, the rules say you can't sit in an exit seat if you have someone who needs assistance in the event of an emergency in your group. BA.com will let me assign an exit seat for an adult (upper deck on a 747) and it knows we have kids (not infants) in the group.

The challenge is we have 5 in the group. Only way of getting 5 seats upstairs that don't include exits and keeping us in groups is 60JK, 61J, 64BJ

Better seems to be to pick 63ABJK & 64J, with the 2 adults in the exits. I just don't want to get booted at a later date!

(Is this the airline version of Tetris?)

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: ba, virgin, ua, hilton, spg
When my kids were under the minimum age (it was 12) then I could not book "exit" seats in any aircraft.
My recollection is that when you try to book the seats you are asked to confirm that all passengers meet the requirements (able bodied and minimum age). Oops - nearly typed minimum wage!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wonder if it has been changed because I recall that it used to say something like that, too...

When I select an exit seat, it comes back with...

The passenger named above has chosen a seat in an emergency exit row. In the unlikely event of an evacuation they will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door.

Therefore, they must:

be over the age of 12 years
be able bodied and fit enough to open and operate an emergency exit door
be able to understand instructions given in English
not be substantially blind or deaf
not be pregnant
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Thai Gold, JetPriviledge
I am not sure I understand the problem why would there be an issue if its adults who are in the emergency seats? My sense is that as long as you are placing adults (and the system knows that)in the emergency seats there should be no problem. We traveled last year with my wife and I in First and our two kids in CW so no adult was with the kids (my eldest is 12 so an adult fare). Crew and kids knew where we were.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by Alwaysfly
I am not sure I understand the problem why would there be an issue if its adults who are in the emergency seats?
The problem is that you'll be paying attention to your kids (even a tiny bit of attention) when 100% of your focus should be on getting the exit open.

You might think you'd be happy ignoring them but why take the risk when there are lots of people on the plane who won't have such a distraction?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alwaysfly
I am not sure I understand the problem why would there be an issue if its adults who are in the emergency seats? My sense is that as long as you are placing adults (and the system knows that)in the emergency seats there should be no problem. We traveled last year with my wife and I in First and our two kids in CW so no adult was with the kids (my eldest is 12 so an adult fare). Crew and kids knew where we were.
This is the rub. All the kids are old enough to fly as UM's.

anyway I have taken the plunge. Let's see what happens.

Tony
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by rruaco
The problem is that you'll be paying attention to your kids (even a tiny bit of attention) when 100% of your focus should be on getting the exit open.

You might think you'd be happy ignoring them but why take the risk when there are lots of people on the plane who won't have such a distraction?
Swiss Tony did you notice this post?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rruaco

Are you saying people with kids should not book exit row seats? Well that's a limitation I'd never heard before. What about those with loved and perhaps less mobile family members such as parents, granny and grandpa etc. in other seats.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by PaulN
Are you saying people with kids should not book exit row seats? Well that's a limitation I'd never heard before. What about those with loved and perhaps less mobile family members such as parents, granny and grandpa etc. in other seats.
Exit seats are for fit english speaking, able bodied adults only.

You must meet certain Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) safety requirements to sit in an exit row seat.

You must be an able bodied adult in full fitness and able to understand printed and verbal instructions given in English.

You must be willing and able to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation.

You will be asked to confirm you meet the CAA safety requirements before you can reserve an exit row seat.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

If you are traveling in a large party I believe you can contact BA.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Exit seats are for fit english speaking, able bodied adults only.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

If you are traveling in a large party I believe you can contact BA.
I know that. Swiss Tony said the those in the exit row were all adults so I think the point being made by rruaco was that, if you were in a party with kids, none of you should sit in an exit row in case you want to try to recover them from a different row instead of concentrating on getting the exit open.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulN
I know that. Swiss Tony said the those in the exit row were all adults so I think the point being made by rruaco was that, if you were in a party with kids, none of you should sit in an exit row in case you want to try to recover them from a different row instead of concentrating on getting the exit open.
Ah, ok. Well, not sure that is the reason. More likely too complex a rule to implement in the booking system. However, I am sure that most parents would indeed - instinctively - do exactly that. I don't know if that makes you a bad choice for an exit seat and I am certain it is not a rule on any airline.

Maybe even parents might agree though...
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Ah, ok. Well, not sure that is the reason. More likely too complex a rule to implement in the booking system. However, I am sure that most parents would indeed - instinctively - do exactly that. I don't know if that makes you a bad choice for an exit seat and I am certain it is not a rule on any airline.

Maybe even parents might agree though...
Actually it is a rule for US airlines. If you or anyone in your party (including those not in the same reservation as you) are not eligible for the exit row due to age, then no one in your party can sit in the exit row. And in most if not all of the US airline systems, if you attempt to choose an exit row seat and someone in the reservation isn't eligible, you won't be able to select that seat.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Actually it is a rule for US airlines. If you or anyone in your party (including those not in the same reservation as you) are not eligible for the exit row due to age, then no one in your party can sit in the exit row. And in most if not all of the US airline systems, if you attempt to choose an exit row seat and someone in the reservation isn't eligible, you won't be able to select that seat.
Makes sense to me...

And I will never say I am certain of anything again.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Makes sense to me...

And I will never say I am certain of anything again.
Only reason I know about it is every once in a while there's a post on the US airline boards complaining because they can't sit in the exit row with their 10 year old in the row behind them.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed....

Now I know for a fact BA will happily put me in 15A and the rest of my family in 14JK & 15JK on a 777 and have no problem with that. I know that's not about opening doors but using the same rationale, I would be going across the cabin in the event of an emergency, not to the door.

If my wife and I can't sit in the exit seats on the upper deck (which still doesn't appear to be a problem) then a solution is to put two of us behind the exit and three infront. Again, this is no better (and given the way the loads look like on this flight, I reckon we're going to be the best part of half the load on the upper deck...)

Don't get me wrong - I asked because I thought this was a no-no, but it appears that BA may have changed their policy/approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.