Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA priority access when booking award ticket through BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Does the BA award ticket always give priority access (check-in, boarding) on AA flights booked through BA? It happens to me twice and I did not know it...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jason1991
Does the BA award ticket always give priority access (check-in, boarding) on AA flights booked through BA? It happens to me twice and I did not know it...
If you booked a first class domestic reward ticket through BA using Avios flying on AA then you'll get priority access as if you'd paid for a first class ticket on AA. If you booked an economy ticket then your BA status might qualify you for some elements of priority access and lounge access.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Some info please...

1. What status, if any, do you have on BA?
2. What status, if any, do you have on AA?
3. What class is the award in....FIRST, BUSINESS , COACH or what?
4. Is the whole award on AA?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wemyss
1. What status, if any, do you have on BA?
2. What status, if any, do you have on AA?
3. What class is the award in....FIRST, BUSINESS , COACH or what?
4. Is the whole award on AA?
I had no elite status on either airlines and booked coach. So far I travelled to Port-au-Prince and San Jose on AA from Miami, and both times I saw priority access on my boarding pass. Not sure if this is always the case when you use Avios for AA flights...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
If you booked a first class domestic reward ticket through BA using Avios flying on AA then you'll get priority access as if you'd paid for a first class ticket on AA. If you booked an economy ticket then your BA status might qualify you for some elements of priority access and lounge access.
Thank you. I used Avios to buy international flights to central america. I didn't realize about the priority access until my boarding pass was printed.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I had no elite status on either airlines and booked coach. So far I travelled to Port-au-Prince and San Jose on AA from Miami, and both times I saw priority access on my boarding pass. Not sure if this is always the case when you use Avios for AA flights...
I think you were lucky and I don't think it's supposed to be like that. I can't be 100% sure as I've had status each time I've redeemed Avios.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
You were lucky or AA is keen to entice you to the AA Advantage program!

Next time you might get "TSA PRE √ " also...

Last edited by wemyss; Jul 13, 2015 at 1:25 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
i travelled LAS-LAX on a reward ticked booked on ba.com in coach last week There was a PB symbol on my boarding pass which meant I was able to board 2nd to last after all other status and 1st class had boarded. I was directed to the Priority desk in LAS but the check in lady didnt seem very happy I was there, there was no lounge access included either.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
It seems this glitch is finally fixed? I just checked in for my AA Y flight and got Zone 6 boarding...
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Full fare Y and award tickets (remember award tickets act a lot like full fare) used to get priority boarding but they don't seem to do so any more: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/boarding-process.jsp

Now you get best of the rest.
tiki01 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by flatlander
Full fare Y and award tickets (remember award tickets act a lot like full fare) used to get priority boarding but they don't seem to do so any more: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp

Now you get best of the rest.
Thanks for posting. I can confirm. In the past, when I booked avios for AA flights, I would get priority boarding and priority access. Very nice perks for not having any status on either airlines. Yesterday when I took an AA flight, I noticed I was group 7 and was looking for a post to see what may have changed. Was nice while it lasted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.