Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many of BA's customers have status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
How many of BA's customers have status?

Hi,

Recently I took part in the PhD survey that was posted on the BA board. One of the questions was along the lines of 'what % of your chosen airlines customers do you think have your status'.

So that got me thinking about the distribution of Exec Members for BA. Does anyone have any insight; ie:
  • % of customers with no status
  • % of customers with Bronze
  • % of customers with Silver
  • % of customers with Gold
  • % of customers with Gold Guest List
  • % of customers with Concorde Room Card (I know that's not really a status)
  • % of customers with Premier Card
Apologies if this topic has been covered in another thread- I had a quick look but couldn't find anything.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Interesting.

Premier Card - 0.1%
CCR - 2%
GGL - 2%
Gold - 6% (most of them are on here )
Silver - 1%
Bronze - 34%

Bar the rest.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The first interesting question to ask is what, in BAEC terms, is a customer?

How about somebody who is a member of the BAEC has flown BA in the last two years?

Within this group my completely off the wall guess would be 10% bronze or higher, 5% silver or higher and 2.5% gold or higher.

But there are too other interesting questions too, which are:

i) what % of journeys are made by passengers with each status level?
ii) what % of RPK are made by passengers with each status level?

Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What do you mean by passenger - is it the statistical bum filling a seat or is it a named passenger?

Does Stuart Deignan, flying 100 sectors a year, represent a single passenger or 100 passengers.

It might make more sense to phrase the question as the (typical) breakdown of passengers by status on a particular flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some previous threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20124316-post82.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-members.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ers-there.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...c-members.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-higher.html
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well on a recent DXB-LHR flight (744), which was pretty much full there were 26 passengers on board with emerald status, only one of whom wasn't a BA gold. Two of those 26 were GGL. All except three were flying in J or F.

I don't know how much can be extrapolated from this information but it may give an idea as to the make up of an average flight which is probably more interesting than total numbers of golds, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:59 pm

Raffles got hold of some interesting data on the number of status holders in T5 on a particular day, here:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/04...al-5-in-a-day/
abersoch3254 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
very interesting- thanks guys.

In my mind a customer is an individual who has used BA for at least one flight in the last year. That is, me doing 100 sectors would be 1 customer rather than representing 100 customers.

I'm not trying to do anything scientific with the data- I was just curious and in a rather tedious meeting and too easily distracted!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:25 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
If I'm taking this morning's fast track boarding queue as indicative, my assessment is that all of them do.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Yes I think all that IAN-UK meant was that, if you're going to take percentages, there's a difference between:
- Percentage of passengers that have [XX] status
- Percentage of discrete passengers that have [XX] status.

By their very nature, PAX with status will take a lot of flights, so taking TabTraveller's example would suggest that a certain percentage of PAX on each plane would have Gold Cards. However, if you took a list of all the passenger names that have passed through T5 in a year, it'd be a much lower percentage with shiny cards.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Stuart Deignan
very interesting- thanks guys.

In my mind a customer is an individual who has used BA for at least one flight in the last year. That is, me doing 100 sectors would be 1 customer rather than representing 100 customers.

I'm not trying to do anything scientific with the data- I was just curious and in a rather tedious meeting and too easily distracted!
Lot of assumptions needed to just extrapolate distinct passengers from the stated 39.6m passengers BA had in 2014 (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-annually.html) - so could get a very wrong number quite easily!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Actually- the wisdom of the board is correct (again). It is misleading to thing of % of population/customers for all the reasons given here. It is probably more useful to think about absolute numbers/members at each level.

From the previous threads it seems that there are around 50-60,000 Golds, and perhaps 300,000 Silver. I think I read on one of the threads that there are around 5,000 GGL, and around 400 CCR.

Again- it serves no purpose but to satisfy my curiosity! Oh- and my meeting is still going on and its still tedious ;-)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
For the purpose of this thread, a BA customer would be better described as an individual on a flight. As IAN-UK suggests, you would also need a timeframe to quantify the statistics ie. Percentage status passengers per flight, per day, per month etc.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
400 CCR but 5k GGL sounds wrong because the new GGL rules mean that you have to get your CCR card first.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Cymro
400 CCR but 5k GGL sounds wrong because the new GGL rules mean that you have to get your CCR card first.
But that only became effective in April 2015. If one previously qualified under the old 3000 TPs for two consecutive years, they will remain GGL provided they achieve 3000 TPs per year going forward. I would expect there to continue to be more GGLs and CCRs.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-criteria.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.